Stretched sleeper pick up truck

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I saw this truck in Illinois. Wonder how long it will be before it sags.

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 356

Brisco

Expert Expediter
It will never sag........

That frame is probably more durable today than it was when it came off the factory floor.

When these trucks are stretched like this, the frames aren't just cut, a 3-4ft new section added back in, and then welded together. They are Cut, the 3-4ft section welded in, and then a minimum of 2 "X" braced frames added connecting the extended portions together. Depending on the Shop that did the work, the new welding is probably done better that the computer ran welding machines the factory uses.

Take Shipshe Welding there in Shipsewana Indiana for instance. They do Frame stretches like this all the time, and could have very well done this truck above. Those Amish Guys they have working for them do such a good job that it would probably take TNT to break the welds off.

I've seen, worked around, and know dozens of Drivers who's had their 1 ton trucks stretched to add sleepers on them who have never had a sagging frame develop after doing so. Only 1 I've ever seen that had problems was these 2 girls that ran together over at RAD Transport delivering RV Trailers. To save money, they had theirs done by some backwoods Welding Shop in Kentucky that screwed it all up. The Frame would bounce on them going down the road and the sleeper kept breaking away from the cab. I believe they finally had Shipshe correct for them after just a month of running like that.

These trucks are out there everywhere.....keep your eye out...you'll see another one sooner or later.

Goatcher-Exterior_Side.jpgMeeks_ext.1.jpgMVC-005S.JPG

guido4475

Not a Member
The same thing applies to many people, including myself, that took a semi tractor and had it stretched.Un- destructible, if done right.They put another frame rail inside of the added piece, extended 2 ft into the original at both ends, added cross members, welded, and huck bolted.500 thousand miles later still good as new, no problems.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I drove 3 of those stretched tractors, and none of them were welded that way. Entire new frame rails were ordered, and it was all one piece.

guido4475

Not a Member
I drove 3 of those stretched tractors, and none of them were welded that way. Entire new frame rails were ordered, and it was all one piece.

Well then, it wasn't actually a "stretched tractor" than..lol...Not everyone does things the same, as so it appears..

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Judging from the body lines it looks as if it is starting to sag unless you took the picture from a bad angle

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I stopped in one time when I was running campers.Good work and knew what they were doing.

You would be suprised when you put air bags under the rear.

eugene

Active Expediter
Why doesn"t dodge offer a 3500 with the 5.9 cummins ? I run a 3500 now it has great load capacity but a gasser i"ve asked my dealer and its not an option.

Sent from my VM670 using EO Fo

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I have a buddy with a 3500 and it has a cummins. It was definately an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brisco

Expert Expediter
The 5.9 Cummins was discontinued in 2007 for the Dodge Ram 2500's and 3500's. It was replaced with the 6.7 Cummins.

Earlier 2007's came with the 5.9. Later 2007's came with the 6.7. Since 2008, the 6.7 Cummins is the only choice you have in all Dodge Ram Heavy Dutys. (2500's thru 5500's)

I've had both.....and both are GREAT motors. I loved my 6.7's over my 5.9's. A HELL of a LOT more power, and they come standard with Exhaust Brakes from the Factory. (Yes, even the 3/4 Ton 2500's had the EB) I loved my 5.9's too....Fuel Economy was much better.....but over time the 6.7's are finally hitting the same MPG as the 5.9's were.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have the 6.7 in our 2500. It is an awesome motor for towing.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know this thread died but I found another one.can't get the red truck out.HELP

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 10073dodgeWsleeper (1) (800x600).jpg
    10073dodgeWsleeper (1) (800x600).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 132

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suppose this would save them RV haulers a lot of cash....since they have to log and scale when loaded....fuel mileage must real suck tho...

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't know about the fuel mileage being that bad... sure it would decrease- but, looking at the big picture- for the RV Haulers, and trailer haulers- it saves them time and money from looking for a hotel/motel and place to park at those places. instead of hunting down a decent motel that has decent parking available, they can just zip into a parking lot of a shopping center or rest area/truck stop and bunk down. Plus, it gives them a comfortable place to rest, instead of trying to get comfy in a cab of a truck- so they're better rested and can make better decisions on business and when they're better rested it means they can run more loads because they're not tired or sore or low on time due to dealing with motels. I'm curious about that blue truck- what's the step for behind the sleeper? Tool box or ?

BBB

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't know about the fuel mileage being that bad... sure it would decrease- but, looking at the big picture- for the RV Haulers, and trailer haulers- it saves them time and money from looking for a hotel/motel and place to park at those places. instead of hunting down a decent motel that has decent parking available, they can just zip into a parking lot of a shopping center or rest area/truck stop and bunk down. Plus, it gives them a comfortable place to rest, instead of trying to get comfy in a cab of a truck- so they're better rested and can make better decisions on business and when they're better rested it means they can run more loads because they're not tired or sore or low on time due to dealing with motels. I'm curious about that blue truck- what's the step for behind the sleeper? Tool box or ?

BBB

Tool box and a step. they gear them a little lower because of the weight.I still want one even though I'm not on the road anymore. That model Dodge still gets around 16-17 on the road empty.