Straight Truck Pay

armin88

Expert Expediter
I been getting tons of different answers about pay,so I thought I should as here.

What should a driver make in a straight truck if owner pays fuel and tolls?

Vice vera what would I make if I had to pay fuel and tolls?

Also how about pay while in a team truck at 20%?

Thanks

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
im at a 60/40 split 60 to me i keep the fuel sur chg my owner lets me keep the incidentals /extra pay and 100%of the dead head he just keeps 40 % of the loaded miles some of the other owner take 40% of everything even when you pay the fuel, if they want to do that take the 40 % and let them keep the rest only prob. with that is they pick your loads and you get a lot of crap with it ive been here at panther over a year and w. this owner for 8 months great guy if you want send me a apm and ill see if he wants to put another trk . have a good truckin day and be safe

armin88

Expert Expediter
im at a 60/40 split 60 to me i keep the fuel sur chg my owner lets me keep the incidentals /extra pay and 100%of the dead head he just keeps 40 % of the loaded miles some of the other owner take 40% of everything even when you pay the fuel, if they want to do that take the 40 % and let them keep the rest only prob. with that is they pick your loads and you get a lot of crap with it ive been here at panther over a year and w. this owner for 8 months great guy if you want send me a apm and ill see if he wants to put another trk . have a good truckin day and be safe[/QUOTE

How do I pm on here???

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Try left clicking on the persons name you want to PM. A menu should drop down below their name. Their reply will be under your name where you sign in.

armin88

Expert Expediter
im at a 60/40 split 60 to me i keep the fuel sur chg my owner lets me keep the incidentals /extra pay and 100%of the dead head he just keeps 40 % of the loaded miles some of the other owner take 40% of everything even when you pay the fuel, if they want to do that take the 40 % and let them keep the rest only prob. with that is they pick your loads and you get a lot of crap with it ive been here at panther over a year and w. this owner for 8 months great guy if you want send me a apm and ill see if he wants to put another trk . have a good truckin day and be safe

I just send you a pm.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Your quite welcome Armin.;) I believe helping one another is the primary goal of this site.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I been getting tons of different answers about pay,so I thought I should as here.

What should a driver make in a straight truck if owner pays fuel and tolls?

Vice vera what would I make if I had to pay fuel and tolls?

Also how about pay while in a team truck at 20%?

Thanks

I've always felt that if the owner pays for fuel, it could be a source of friction. He may feel the driver is not trying to be fuel efficient, or using too much on DH, and that cuts into his profit. Tolls are simpler, [the route calls for toll roads or it doesn't - not usually much choice], but fuel consumption really depends upon the driver, so if you're paying, how much you make has a lot to do with how you drive.
60/40 is the standard split, with 60% [and all the FS] going to whomever pays for the fuel. Tolls are according to what the owner decides, or you can negotiate - everyone has their own way of doing business.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
I've always felt that if the owner pays for fuel, it could be a source of friction. He may feel the driver is not trying to be fuel efficient, or using too much on DH, and that cuts into his profit. Tolls are simpler, [the route calls for toll roads or it doesn't - not usually much choice], but fuel consumption really depends upon the driver, so if you're paying, how much you make has a lot to do with how you drive.
60/40 is the standard split, with 60% [and all the FS] going to whomever pays for the fuel. Tolls are according to what the owner decides, or you can negotiate - everyone has their own way of doing business.

I had a guy once use my fuel card to buy fuel for another truck and I'm sure he got a good piece of change and I got the bill. So, I'll go the route that has the driver paying for the fuel - as you say, he then has the incentive to drive more responsibly and will end up making more, anyway.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I had a guy once use my fuel card to buy fuel for another truck and I'm sure he got a good piece of change and I got the bill. So, I'll go the route that has the driver paying for the fuel - as you say, he then has the incentive to drive more responsibly and will end up making more, anyway.

Just curious: did you get the money for the fuel back? And did you share that dishonest driver's name with other fleet owners, or carriers?
I hope you did, on both counts. [I'm assuming you have proof, not just your suspicion of theft.]

PS Drivers who pay for fuel don't always end up making more - but when they don't, it's tough to blame it on someone or something else....

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
Just curious: did you get the money for the fuel back? And did you share that dishonest driver's name with other fleet owners, or carriers?
I hope you did, on both counts. [I'm assuming you have proof, not just your suspicion of theft.]

PS Drivers who pay for fuel don't always end up making more - but when they don't, it's tough to blame it on someone or something else....

This was years ago, so no, afraid I did not share the info, and no, I did not get the money back (at least it wasn't $4 a gallon like now). With the internet and all these forums, that sort of information would be easier to share these days, and the technology may even make it easier to catch the guilty party..but not in the early 90's. So, it's ancient history but still irritates me to think about it!

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter

Holy Cow, why didn't I ever think of this scam until now? Oh yea, maybe because its not worth ruining my name for $40 bux.

If you can't see who the hoodlins are from the honest workers, maybe you shouldn't be giving out your fuel card so easily.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Holy Cow, why didn't I ever think of this scam until now? Oh yea, maybe because its not worth ruining my name for $40 bux.

Just curious: how much would be worth it? :p

If you can't see who the hoodlins are from the honest workers, maybe you shouldn't be giving out your fuel card so easily.

Give him a break, Mac - if the cons were that easy to spot, no one would get cheated....
Whenever I feel dumb for having been fooled by someone, I remember Ann Rule: a policewoman who volunteered for a suicide hotline, and became pretty fond of the guy in the next chair over: Ted Bundy. And even when he confessed to killing women, she didn't believe it for a long time!
The only ones who never get fooled are the ones who are always expecting it, because it's what they do themselves.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
mcavoy33; [FONT=Arial Black said:
Give him a break, Mac - if the cons were that easy to spot, no one would get cheated....

[/FONT]

No, they aren't always easy to spot. Some are even dumb enough to continue to use our company as a reference. I guess they don't think that new carriers actually fax me a questionnaire to fill out.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter

Just curious: how much would be worth it? :p

That's a good question because any amount that would make it worthwhile would carry legal ramifications that wouldn't make it worthwhile. But also, I don't think you could steal enough to make it worthwhile. You have to be a real tool or hate your boss to do it.

The only way it would be worthwhile is if you did a small amount for years but that wouldn't be worth it either but that is the only way you could steal a significant amount without getting caught. Its just not worth it.

Whenever I feel dumb for having been fooled by someone, I remember Ann Rule: a policewoman who volunteered for a suicide hotline, and became pretty fond of the guy in the next chair over: Ted Bundy. And even when he confessed to killing women, she didn't believe it for a long time!
The only ones who never get fooled are the ones who are always expecting it, because it's what they do themselves.

Don't get me started on women getting fleeced by men. Just proof that decisions shouldn't be made based on emotions.

But your right, I was probably too hard. I feel that reading people and judging them is one of my strongest features but I'm a psychology nut, so I take it for granted.

Generally with safeguards in place, your not exposing yourself to, too much. Anytime you let go an employee, you should be checking the transactions on your cards etc... before you give him his final pay.

I know if it were my company, I'd be tracking the mileage on all the company trucks. I know I give my employer the data to do it every week. I don't think they monitor it though because of my idling and sight seeing. But I've also asked about mpg and was told not to worry about it and just drive and get the loads there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't get me started on women getting fleeced by men. Just proof that decisions shouldn't be made based on emotions.

You know that works both ways, or women wouldn't make good spies, lol.

But your right, I was probably too hard. I feel that reading people and judging them is one of my strongest features but I'm a psychology nut, so I take it for granted.

If it's normal, average people, sure, but really good liars and con artists [and serial killers] aren't easy to spot, even for the pros. [Like Detective Ann Rule] And psychology is nowhere close to exact or foolproof, either, right?

Generally with safeguards in place, your not exposing yourself to, too much. Anytime you let go an employee, you should be checking the transactions on your cards etc... before you give him his final pay.

'Trust, but verify' is wise advice, lol. And a wise owner extends that trust only over time, limiting his exposure to risk until he has a good idea of whether the trust is justified.

I know if it were my company, I'd be tracking the mileage on all the company trucks. I know I give my employer the data to do it every week. I don't think they monitor it though because of my idling and sight seeing. But I've also asked about mpg and was told not to worry about it and just drive and get the loads there.

PS The question "How much money is worth trading for your good name?" was just rhetorical - there aint likely to be enough on any credit card to move to Tahiti and start a new life, lol. ;)