Straight / Box Truck Buying Guide

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
He stated earlier that he is wanting a truck for city delivery only.

The penske (or other rental units) would be a great choice. The biggest advantage I would see to the auto, especially if the truck is under 26,000 gvw, you could hire about anyone to drive it (if you need to). They wouldn't have to know how to shift a manual and they wouldn't need a cdl. Delivering locally (within 150 mile radius), they wouldn't have to log either. Wow...i need to find a local gig.

scprinting

Active Expediter
Thank you for the information I will be using only for local deliveries. I am in need of a truck for my company we are currently paying more than a truck payment to logistics companies and are in need of a truck I can drive with out a CDL endorsement.

scprinting

Active Expediter
City deliveries only no more than a 50 miles from my location. Delivery truck for my printing company. Pa lets of paper is very heavy and difficult to move when you are using a Astor van.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Like I said before, check with Penske and Ryder they sell tons of used trucks.
Truckpaper.com is another good source

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thank you for the information I will be using only for local deliveries. I am in need of a truck for my company we are currently paying more than a truck payment to logistics companies and are in need of a truck I can drive with out a CDL endorsement.

As long as the GVWR rating is 26,000 lbs or less, you won't need a CDL. If it is 26,001 lbs or more, you'll need a CDL to drive it.

Note: GVW is often confused with GVWR and they are very different and important things.

GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight. This is what your vehicle actually weighs at any particular time. Example: you pull it on the scales and weight it at a truck stop. That weight is your GVW at the time you weigh it.

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is what your vehcile is rated for. This is what they are looking for to determine what regulations apply to your vehicle. The rating can usually be found by opening the door and looking at the "door tag" of a vehicle.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
If your moving pallets of paper(been there done that)
Try to get a truck with a 3000Lbs liftgate they are usually oversized and made of aluminum. The smaller metal ones have a large lip on them and a skid will barely fit. :)
Penske trucks come equipped with both

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
How many pallets are you moving at a time?

Any idea of the weight (total weight of the load)?

Do you deliver to loading docks? Do you need to be able to?

You said a liftgate would be needed correct?

Give us that info and I think we can give you a good idea of what you need to be looking for. Sorry it's taken a little while to get to this, but most on this forum don't actually do what your doing.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Just go to penske and call them. Tell them you are looking for a Dock high truck with a lift gate and have them search for you - not all their trucks are on their website.

ALSO just a thought - using a third party to make your deliveries my be the best solution because of insurance requirements, you should look into that first because you will have to carry insurance on both the truck and cargo.