Straight / Box Truck Buying Guide

scprinting

Active Expediter
I am interested in purchasing a used dock high straight truck with at least a 15 plus foot box and a rear lift gate. Any suggestions or buying guides / tips?

scprinting

Active Expediter
Any suggestion on year, make, model, options, engine choice, lift gate brands, box brands?

Looking for a Box truck review if there is one like you will find car reviews.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
What is a Hino?

You really don't want to know LOL
Hino is a brand of straight truck made by Toyota

First you need to decide if you want a class 7 or class 8
Class 8 is a converted semi chassis benefit is larger/longer lasting engine, more transmission choices, better overall truck
Class 7 most common trucks are Freightliner and International
although you can get a Peterbilt or Kenworth but they are less common, most are geared for city driving not OTR
The box manufacturer doesn't really matter so much, never had a bad box Supreme is one of the more common makers

scprinting

Active Expediter
You really don't want to know LOL
Hino is a brand of straight truck made by Toyota

First you need to decide if you want a class 7 or class 8
Class 8 is a converted semi chassis benefit is larger/longer lasting engine, more transmission choices, better overall truck
Class 7 most common trucks are Freightliner and International
although you can get a Peterbilt or Kenworth but they are less common, most are geared for city driving not OTR
The box manufacturer doesn't really matter so much, never had a bad box Supreme is one of the more common makers[/QUOTE

This truck will be used for around town deliveries
Lets go with the class 7 truck style

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

Personally, I prefer the Internationals over the Freightliners
That is a personal opinion, I think they are both good trucks, although I have heard some people say to say away from the Cat engines(some Freightliners have these)
If you are running local gearing won't be a big concern, if you plan on highway driving some of these trucks can be running high RPM's at 65

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Personally, I'd prefer a tuck a way lift gate, problem with the rail lift on that 2002 is every dock or stop you are going to have to move that lift out of the way.
Depending on dock locks etc you might have trouble.
Have you checked Penske they sell ton's of used trucks some with under 100K on them, most have liftgates and some have liftgates and ramps.

Last edited:

scprinting

Active Expediter
Thank you for all of the insight.

I may rent long term from Penske. I will look at that option as well.

I agree with the lift gate that is tucked under is the better choice.

As far as transmissions go auto vs manual?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
If you don't have a tuck away lift gate then stay home, and no sleeper = NO FREIGHT and OUT OF SERVICE unless you would like to pay for a motel every day your out working which will eat all of your profits.

And Internationals are good but I went with a cat 3126b instead stronger engine for OTR also the trucks your looking at are designed for city driving so MPG may be lower from gearing ratios. And as far as box goes get a minimum 22' anything less will limit you. As far as a lift gate goes heck between ebay and craigslist you can find one easy. There is a guy in Dallas tx who always advertises used tuck away liftgates for $1500 installed. remember you will be backing into docks also and many other weird locations that at times the outside liftgate will interfere with loading.

Best of luck to you on your investment.

Camper

Not a Member
Personally, I'd prefer a tuck a way lift gate, problem with the rail lift on that 2002 is every dock or stop you are going to have to move that lift out of the way.
Depending on dock locks etc you might have trouble.
Have you checked Penske they sell ton's of used trucks some with under 100K on them, most have liftgates and some have liftgates and ramps.

The tuck-away lift gate is definitely the way to go. Having to move that rail lift out of the way at every stop is gonna get old very quick..

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

My thoughts: even if you're very good at shifting at precisely the right point [and if you're not, it's bad for the transmission & fuel mileage], the human body wasn't designed for the repetitive motion of clutch & shifter. Over the short term, no big deal - but I have repetitive motion injuries to my hands after just 8 years in a factory, so it's something to keep in mind, because city traffic requires a lot of shifting.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
My thoughts: even if you're very good at shifting at precisely the right point [and if you're not, it's bad for the transmission & fuel mileage], the human body wasn't designed for the repetitive motion of clutch & shifter. Over the short term, no big deal - but I have repetitive motion injuries to my hands after just 8 years in a factory, so it's something to keep in mind, because city traffic requires a lot of shifting.

Once you have driven a s/t with an automatic, you won't go back to a manual and that's the truth.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In a 4 wheeler, I always preferred manual, but this is a whole 'nother ballgame, lol.
Having a repetitive motion injury is an everyday reminder of what happens [eventually] when you abuse your bendable parts beyond mfr's recommended use. We have to do it, but overdoing it will catch up with you, and it generally hurts like H- e- youknowwhat when it does.
[When I was in my 20's, I didn't believe it either.] :D

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If you're going to drive it over the road as an expediter, you might wanna consider something that looks more like this:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cla...2001-International-9200-with-24ft-Box-LG.html

or this

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cla...02-Frht-Century-Great-Truck-Honest-Price.html

If this is what you're looking to do with it, I would recommend focusing on the condition of the engine and tranny, rather than things like liftgates. If it needs a liftgate, you can add one later. Ryder used trucks usually has a ton of them sitting around, after behind pulled off wrecks and damaged boxes.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I think you can get better mileage with a manual, but I have a bad knees so the auto is better for me. My International had the Eaton Autoshift and got better mileage than a full auto but less than a manual.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
In a 4 wheeler, I always preferred manual, but this is a whole 'nother ballgame, lol.
Having a repetitive motion injury is an everyday reminder of what happens [eventually] when you abuse your bendable parts beyond mfr's recommended use. We have to do it, but overdoing it will catch up with you, and it generally hurts like H- e- youknowwhat when it does.
[When I was in my 20's, I didn't believe it either.] :D

I actually had a worse problem with the manual door opener on the school bus than I did with the 5 or was it6 spd in the fl70. Just me

You might try truck paper.com for trucks.