storm coming this week end

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
I went t a friends place up the country. House is OK. Still waiting for power. Hope to get it today. Running off a borrowed generator. Cable is up. It is normally the last to recover. Did not lose anything in the freezer or fridge. Jerry Lee

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I went t a friends place up the country. House is OK. Still waiting for power. Hope to get it today. Running off a borrowed generator. Cable is up. It is normally the last to recover. Did not lose anything in the freezer or fridge. Jerry Lee
Glad to hear that....

Reactions: Hummer53

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
Glad to hear that....
Did Savannah sustain any major damage?
Lot of trees down. Some on houses.
Glad to hear that....
Just some trees on houses. We were far enough inland to avoid flooding. The beach got hit pretty hard. Still closed to non residents. Got my power back about 5PM yesterday. No deaths have been reported in Savannah area. Thank God. Jerry Lee

Reactions: Ragman and Hummer53

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I drove up 95 from Miami after the storm. It was at night, and all of a sudden I realized how 'quiet' everything was around me. Just a vehicle here and there. Then I saw a shadow of a billboard and I realized the power was out. Just not seeing those lighted billboards made a difference in my driving experience. I guess I am always looking for the Yang in Yin.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Glad to hear that....
Lot of trees down. Some on houses.
Glad to hear that....
Just some trees on houses. We were far enough inland to avoid flooding. The beach got hit pretty hard. Still closed to non residents. Got my power back about 5PM yesterday. No deaths have been reported in Savannah area. Thank God. Jerry Lee
Good to see you still kicking around the place.....:)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In our area, thousands of homes damaged, 69 destroyed. Most if not all of the destroyed homes were trailers or "manufactured homes" as they call them here. Its a reminder that we need to be prepared to have our goods swept or burned away from us without notice and live life after such a thing happens.

Put your data and photos in the cloud. Get the insurance you need to replace your goods. Have a plan for living someplace else if you suddenly find yourself homeless. Expediters have a distinct advantage in this as they already have the equipment and know-how to live on the road, and they can continue to earn a living as long as they have their truck.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In our area, thousands of homes damaged, 69 destroyed. Most if not all of the destroyed homes were trailers or "manufactured homes" as they call them here. Its a reminder that we need to be prepared to have our goods swept or burned away from us without notice and live life after such a thing happens.

Put your data and photos in the cloud. Get the insurance you need to replace your goods. Have a plan for living someplace else if you suddenly find yourself homeless. Expediters have a distinct advantage in this as they already have the equipment and know-how to live on the road, and they can continue to earn a living as long as they have their truck.
so your business and home stayed dry and all ok?

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I delivered a load of bottled water to Trader Joe's DC in Daytona Beach a day before the storm hit. They were taking trucks in until 14:00 that day then closing up shop. I wish I had brought it down in the reefer.

They had their own reefer trailers loaded up to be out distributing but the o/o of the contract carrier covering all those were not coming in to work. They were offering to offload from their trailers onto other carriers (who had delivered to them) at $3 a mile to locations all over the southeast. I could have gotten back to Nashville with a nice rate.

Then they called and offered up the runs as power only for $3 a mile all miles on the round trips. Of course that was just the starting point. I'm certain they would have paid substantially more. But I had my dry van, wasn't interested in the round trip power only coming back into a potential disaster zone, and had already made what I needed. I do hate to miss out like that even so.

Next time I go in before a storm to a big DC like that I will definitely take the reefer with me. It's a company owned trailer as opposed to the dry van which I own. They take a larger percentage when I pull the reefer. A case of my short sightedness costing me some money by choosing to bring the van instead.

FEMA loads are no good anymore. Brokers are keeping more than 50% of the line haul and accessories pay. There are tractor trailers sitting down there in Florida right now for $300 a day. You can make better money off the disruptions caused in other markets than messing with that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
so your business and home stayed dry and all ok?

Essentially, yes. Club was untouched. Staff not injured or otherwise impacted such that they missed work. Minor damage to house. Some trees lost. Some others in the neighborhood hit far worse. Business was disrupted by curfew and extended internet outage. All is good now. Really, really happy that our marketplace was not devastated. A major loss of jobs and homes would hurt our business even if the gym itself was untouched.

Expediters have a business advantage when it comes to storms like this. You can just drive away and keep on working.

Reactions: RoadTime