Steering wheel jumpy from new brakes?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We had new brakes put on the steers yesterday and I noticed after we picked up the truck that the steering wheel is quite jumpy during hard braking. Such as coming off the interstate onto the ramp.
Is it common for the brakes to need to wear in a little bit? The drums were not resurfaced.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You could have high spots on the shoes which will wear down quickly.
Also the drums may not be centered if you have hub-piloted wheels.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
You could have high spots on the shoes which will wear down quickly.
Also the drums may not be centered if you have hub-piloted wheels.

I'm hoping it is just a high spot. It seemed to quit doing it a low speeds.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I have had that problem when a wheel has been removed it has to due with wheel hub to rim centering it was solved by replacing 3 lug nuts with self aligning nuts seems to be a problem on hub piloted wheels and too much slop in the alignment guides in the hub and wheel
Took me a few years to learn that trick not all mechanics are sharp!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah,a lot of places sell those centering sleeves I believe under the name of Tru-Balance.
It seems to me that at some point in my life I applied light pressure to the brakes so the shoes would expand and help center the brake drum as someone tightened the lugnuts.
I remember doing it. I don't remember if it was a good or bad idea.

Last edited:

fulexp

Seasoned Expediter
I HAD THE SAME Thing HAPPEN.WE INSTALLED TRUE BALANCE SLEEVES THEY CENTER THE WHEEL AND THE DRUM. WORKED FOR US.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make sure your brake drums are not worn out of spec. As the drums wear and get thinner they can warp, even a few thousandths will cause the drum to shake the truck.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In this day and age,with the cost of labor high,and the cost of drums low,I would've guessed a competent shop would have checked the drums.
If there was any doubt I'd throw new drums on as at this point there'd be little to no extra labor.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The shop said the drums were OK.
Do the truck stops sell the centering pins?

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You would think a shop would check and swap. Back in march I was getting estimates for king pins one shop wrote out replacing the tie rods, and shoes as if they were sepperate jobs where the others quoted me all in. I asked you have to tear everything down to bore the axle and replace the pins? Thier answer was yes but thats how we do it. Guess who got the job? Im finding that most shops hire parts installers.
Stii was not cheap but I will recomend Thruway Spring in Rochester NY for heavy under carrage work. Theve been arround for ever.
Any way good luck
Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You might be able to buy them at a truck stop or a dealership. Or swing by a truck stop service deptartment and ask them to center the wheelsit might cost you a few bucks but it s cheaper than steers. Also you can buy them by mailorder.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think I am going to delay going back in service tomorrow and take it back to the shop. I don't like driving anything that I know isn't 100% percent right.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Jim-
We got our Tru-balance sleeves at a Bosselman's. You only need three per wheel position. Money well spent.

Now get back to work.......slacker.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
It's a shame you have to buy those sleeves to overcome a stupid design.
I'd just call around to a few truckstops or look on Tru-Balance's website to see if any chain that may be in your area may carry them. (napa,truck-pro,fleet pride.)
A new truck dealer or large tire dealer may handle them.
Once in your hands it's as easy as pulling the wheel and slipping on what is basically a bushing.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Jim-
We got our Tru-balance sleeves at a Bosselman's. You only need three per wheel position. Money well spent.

Now get back to work.......slacker.

We do to much work while we are home to call it vacation. Our vacation from work is being on the road.
The grass is mowed (twice) and the drywall is hung and the tape is bedded. Also repaired 6 leaks in the roof brought on by 24 inches of rain from tropical storm Deby.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also there is Equal ballencing powder But if the drums are off it wont do anything it just ballences the tires.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I only live 8 miles from the shop. I'll take it in at 0730 and annoy the mechanic.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I didn't mean install them yourself. I just meant if you had to grab
them enroute to pu you'd only need an hour or less to get them installed prior to or after a pick- up.