States restrict truck traffic

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the post, but to answer "I never realized there were so many clueless people out there!!!", you just have too much faith in your fellow citizen.

Read my signature line - it is there because of them.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
well neb restricts oversize loads from thurs noon to monday noon when the cornhuskers are at home during football season. funny the term oversize. if a farm tractor sticks out 2" over the trailer, at the tractor axle height on the trailer, it is oversize EVEN THOUGH it is within the dimensions of the outside rear view mirrors.

Jack Berry

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The one quote that defines the entire issue is from Gerald Donaldson, Senior Research Director of the Advocates for Highway & Auto Safety: "Joe Blow is terrified. There is a greater proportion of trucks in the traffic stream than 10 years ago...We have more older drivers than we've ever had, and they do not like being next to large trucks."
Yep, there's a greater proportion of trucks in the traffic stream, and there's a greater proportion of traffic, and congestion, too. (There's a concurrently greater proportion of taxes & fees derived from the trucks, as well, but they left that out of this article, based as it is on emotions, rather than facts) The officials who were handsomely paid by the taxpayers to plan our infrastructure, including future trends and needs, were clearly incompetent, resulting in the huge increases in congestion that we live with every day. All vehicular traffic has increased, with the increase in population, but that seems to have been a surprise to the officials.
Knowing that older folks are afraid to drive next to trucks, they've turned that irrational fear to their advantage, placing the blame for the congestion on the trucks themselves - nifty bit of twisted logic, eh? Not only do they escape accountability, but they curry favor with the largest group of voters, in one fell swoop.
'Truck only' TOLL lanes are adding insult to injury, IMO, as trucks already pay a tremendous amount to use the public roads. Truck only lanes sound doable- to people who've never been behind a heavy truck, going uphill at 15 mph, forcing everyone following to maintain the same speed, when we're not permitted to pass. (Which is the current status in many places, I 40 in NC being just one place that comes to mind.)
This is another example of blaming the victim: trucks didn't cause the problem, and congestion causes more problems for truck drivers, (particularly expediters) than it does for Joe Blow. It's also a case of officials pandering to the unfounded fears of a huge group of voters, at the expense of the rest of society.
The ATA and other interested parties may not be opposed to truck only lanes now, but just wait until they start seeing what the delay costs them, when ALL trucks on mountain roads are averaging 15 mph...

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Ah hah, I see you guys found the article I found while I was sitting on my bus waiting for time this morning.

And I had some of the same thoughts as you guys, especially about terrified Joe Blow. Of course, if Joe Blow would actually pay attention and quit texting, shaving and talking on the phone whilst driving he may not be as terrified, but what can you do.

On average I'd be driving around truck drivers rather than four wheelers in any vehicle I might be operating, they scare the begeezus out of me.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The Joe Blow who is texting, talking, and/or shaving while driving, isn't terrified of trucks, or anything else - until he wrecks, that is.
The Joe Blow who is afraid to drive next to a truck is 60 to 80 yrs old, and their fears get taken seriously, (even though they're irrational fears, based more upon their own inability to control their vehicle than the truck driver's) - because they VOTE. And when they vote, is it gonna be for the guy who agrees with them that big trucks are a danger, or the guy who says that maybe the old folks are projecting their fears of vehicular mismanagement?
I sympathize with the deterioration of vision, hearing, and especially depth perception, that occurs with advanced age, (I'll be a geezer myself, sooner than I'd like, no doubt) but blaming trucks for the fear of old folks, or the congestion on today's roads, is irrational.
Extorting more money because of it, is unconscionable.