Starting With an Older Truck

MorganW

Expert Expediter
Hi folks,

I'm a former OTR driver who's looking at becoming an expedite O/O. I've read through as much of these forums as possible to try to learn from you more experienced guys/girls. There's a couple of questions I haven't been able to find much information on, though. So I thought I'd ask:

1. Do any of the larger expedite companies work with vehicles older than 5 years old? I know many don't, and some grandfather units if they're on board before they hit 5, but who's out there that will take an older truck from the start?

2. I live in Wichita, Kansas. From what I gather, this is not exactly Expedite Central! Still, relocation is not an option for me right now. Is there any company which fares better in the midwest?

I appreciate any and all input. BTW, I'm either going Class 7/D or B Class. Thanks in advance.

MorganW

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I imagine you would just have to talk to the recruiters at any companies you are interested in and discuss the truck with them. I presume any company can make any exception they choose to make but it will be up to them based on how badly they want to add trucks, condition of the vehicle, etc..

As far as being in Wichita, I would suggest looking into something like getloaded.com for loads out from home and into the freight zones. You may find a company that can get you back home and out from there loaded but if not be sure they will allow you to run loads you find on your own. I do that at times, on a split basis since I'm using their operating authority. It beats deadheading. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Hey Morgan, If a truck is in excellent physical condition and is reliable, some companies will make an exception to the 5 year rule provided that the truck is inspected at a facility that the company approves. Make your phone calls and you'll be amazed at the way some rules can be modified for quality equipment. Maintenance makes all the difference. (and it's gotta look good!!) Good Luck - X