Starting out in expedite industry...!?$#?!

city boy

Expert Expediter
I am looking for some advice from the "veterens" out there on starting in the expedite industry. I have read most of the messages in all the forums I could find but feel my scenario is different. -(doesn't everyone?)
My plan is to move to Kentucky in around June of 2002. My wife and I will not own a house -just live in the truck. (We just moved out of college dorms a few years ago, so this is not a big difference, space-wise.) We would like to drive for another o/o for 6 months to a year to get experience on what kind of truck makes the most money with what kind of spec's. My wife is planning on getting her CDL within a few month's from June.
I also would like any info on how the typical schedule is. I have a few years OTR, but I hear expedited is a little different. I love JIT freight. That's how I like to run. I have heard that load's typically come out 10 am to 2 pm. You run to get there and hope you have enough hours for a run the next day. Is this accurate?

Can you make it running single, or is team that much better?

How many miles (pay) can I expect running single? Team?

Can you get your own authority and not lease on with anyone?

Does anyone do this?

I know these are rough times for the industry but I am not doing much better here. I have a contract with FedEx Home Delivery running a cargo van locally. FedEx had a good preview but the movie hasn't been all that. LOL Any help with any of this is of course greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PS. Companies I have been considering are CTX,FECC,Panther,Tri-State.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Hello City Boy,

Welcome to EO! My answers and opinions are in bold.

> June of 2002.
Probably a good time to start. The "busy" 4th quarter is winding down.

> I will not own a house -just live in the truck.
I have met several teams who have done this and they seem quite content and enjoy the savings

> My wife is planning on getting her CDL within a few month's from June.
This is the single most important thing you can do to increase your revenue and profitability.

> I also would like any info on how the typical schedule is.
There is no schedule and nothing typical! ;-) There is no method to the madness as the saying goes. However, you will run more overnight then at any other time.

> Can you make it running single, or is team that much better?
Yes, you can make it, but you can increase your run opportunites and revenue by running team, preferably husband/wife.

> How many miles (pay) can I expect running single? Team?
Single: 10 hours per day. Team: Unlimited.

> Can you get your own authority and not lease on with anyone?
Yes, but you will need to have your own customer base, billing system, and the ability to wait 30+ days to get paid.

> Does anyone do this?
Yes, I have met several who do. The most successful ones generally have a lease with a Carrier AND their own authority.

>PS. Companies I have been considering are CTX, FECC, Panther,
Tri-State.
Any of these companies can keep you rolling - they do have different rates, systems, policies.

Best Wishes,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.Com

city boy

Expert Expediter
Lawrence -Thanks for the response, it was very informing. I know the money isn't just falling off the tree out there but I think we should do all right, especially by living in the truck. Hopefully the economy will be back up by then. Thanks again, be safe!

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when buying a truck one thing is service on it, if you buy a used
truck, ask for maintence file on the truck if has one great
if it doesn't stay away from that truck, as you don't know what is condition of the truck, if you buy from a dealer he should be able to
look up on his computer and tell you what was done to truck if
person took it to a dealer to work on,

most important you want to know what has been done to truck maintence
wise if know records would not buy that truck.

on truck's that i have traded in always made sure they had mantince
records and handbook to go with the truck

also have a computer read out of the miles and hours of truck to
that will tell you alot about the truck to

city boy

Expert Expediter
Thanks Geo. I am very leary about buying used in this case. Other posts in the forum have stated many dangers about buying used, especially repo's. PM tends to slip when the wallet thins out. I guess if they went to the trouble of keeping all the records they probably stayed on top of maintenance. I'll keep a sharp eye out and hopefully find a good one. Thanks for the advice.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You mentioned you will live out of the truck and have no home base. ALWAYS have a home base- a "home terminal", PO BOX, small apartment, somewhere. A place where it is assumed you live. A MUST.

marmon01

Expert Expediter
It's important for tax purposes to have a defined home address. This will be needed next year in order to deduct "on the road" expenses such as meal costs.

majors

Expert Expediter
IF YOU ARE JUST GETTING IN TO EXPEDITE INDUSTRY/ I GOT A GUY IN MAYFIELD KY. THAT NEEDS A CO-DRIVER! THE PAY IS 20% OF WHAT TRUCK MAKES YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT [email protected] HE IS NOT WITH COMPANY HE RUN HIS OWEN MC! MAYFIELD IS A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE ALSO THE REAT OR BUY AN HOME IS GOOD. MIRANDA MAJORS

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I feel the best thing to do is go to a local Mail Boxes etc. store. They are perfect for truckers. Not only do you get a mailbox but you also get a physical address. You can treat your box like any apartment..ie 123 Main St. apt.321, Anytown USA 00000 )

They also will accept UPS or Mail dropoffs (a must if you like to shop on the net)And I know the one I have is also truck friendly. You can check them out at http://www.mbe.com

I have lived in my truck for nearly 7 years. I used to have an apartment but I was out for a month once came home and everything I owned was gone. The local kids had made it a club house. I suggest living in a truck and getting a cheap hotel when you are home. It has worked great for me.