Starting our own business ....HELP Need some of your wisdom.

Joel Stone

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for looking at my post and I appreciate any info...
I am about to go in partners with a buddy of mine and we are going to buy two trucks and two trailers.
We are trying to decide if we wanna stay on the path we are now, which is, hauling gravel, base, select fill etc for a local guy in the Killeen tx area. We both work for a small company are are paid 25% of what the loads make.
Its not bad but the problem is , the ownwers of the company we work for have bought old raggy trucks and they spend a lot of time broke down. We see a $600 a wk payday and we are excited !
So our idea is, my buddy is a Vet who has been deployed numerous times and is now retired. I am a business man who has owned several business and done well in all.
We are looking to purchase 2 trucks and 2 trailers ... trucks in the 300-400K mile area and trailers ???
My question is What is the best job to go after as a owner operator ??
We both like the idea of being home every night and would maybe stay out 1 or 2 times a week.
He has spent so much time deployed and I have done my OTR and am tired of it.
In gravel I think we can make 2800-3200 a week gross per truck.
any ideas guys ?? Know of anything in our area?? Killeen, Belton Temple Ft Hood Copperas Cove??
Thanks

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I am about to go in partners with a buddy of mine and we are going to buy two trucks and two trailers.
We are trying to decide if we wanna stay on the path we are now, which is, hauling gravel, base, select fill etc for a local guy in the Killeen tx area. We both work for a small company are are paid 25% of what the loads make.
Its not bad but the problem is , the ownwers of the company we work for have bought old raggy trucks and they spend a lot of time broke down. We see a $600 a wk payday and we are excited !
So our idea is, my buddy is a Vet who has been deployed numerous times and is now retired. I am a business man who has owned several business and done well in all.
We are looking to purchase 2 trucks and 2 trailers ... trucks in the 300-400K mile area and trailers ???
We both like the idea of being home every night and would maybe stay out 1 or 2 times a week.
any ideas guys ?? Know of anything in our area?? Killeen, Belton Temple Ft Hood Copperas Cove??
Thanks
best advice...stay in gravel

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
depends on how long you want your trucks to last. the lighter the weight the higher the rate. you take on the responsibility of truck ownership and you will see that 3200 gross turn into what amount in your pocket?
really before you take on a tractor you should make sure you got a least 5k per week of work lined up if you want to be any better off than a driver.insurance,repairs and fuel all come before you.

Joel Stone

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Ok so a $5 a week job.
Sounds great but where are those at ? Is that OTR?
Now what some owners do and what we could do is
We drive during day hauling gravel then have drivers that use trucks at night to haul asphalt and road tear ups. They pay $80 a hr for that

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks
Gravel...

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
well if that night driven is on top of the $3500 a week hauling gravel then definitely stick to what your doing.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Seems to me that you have answered your own question.