sprinter

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Somebody at Nations was last night. I don't know if the van was loaded or not, but it breezed up Fancy Gap Mountain at a steady 65 MPH with me right behind it--(470 HP D Unit.) I had to let him go to get by some big trucks, so I backed off to be safe. He was there fueling at Wytheville, VA, but I could not find the owner in the time it took me to fuel and catch a cup and shoot off. If loaded, that Sprinter was putting money to the mouth on Fancy Gap for Mercedes power.
-Weave-

ihatejeffgordon

Expert Expediter
if he(/she) was only keeping up with a truck in anything even slightly hill-like i'm not impressed. i leave the cruise set on my chevy 350 (5.7 for you young kids) and it rarely even has to shift out of overdrive. the only exception i've experienced was with a 2500# load (FAR above normal...in fact FAR above heavy for a B unit) going through some particularly nasty parts of PA. but even then i didn't lose a whole lot of momentum.

Remember, Two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do.

FLYNSCOT

Expert Expediter
JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT MY FATHERS SPRINTER THE ONE MENTIONED ABOVE HAS JUST TURNED OVER 100,000 MILES! NOT BAD, SINCE WE GOT IT IN NOVEMBER 2001 WE HAVE BEEN AVERAGING 22 MPG. AT THAT TIME WE HAD A LOAD OF 3 SKIDS 3500 LBS, WE HAVE ACTUALLY TAKEN LOADS OF 4,000LBS. WE HAVE HAD ONE MINOR SNAG THE EGR VALVE HAD TO BE REPLACED AT 96,000 MILES(COVERED BY THE WARRANTY) WE REPLACED TIRES AT 80,000 MILES(COULD HAVE WENT TO 90,000) WE DO AN OIL/FILTER CHANGE EVERY 10,000 MILES//FUEL FILTER EVERY 20,000//AIR FILTER EVERY 30,000. SO FAR WE ARE REALLY PLEASED WITH THE SPRINTER AND IT DEFINATELY IS PAYING FOR ITSELF. JIM :)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Jim,
I wanted to thank you for your post. I am buying a Sprinter and as of yet I haven't been able to speak to any Sprinter owmers inorder to ask their opinions.
I am glad to see that you are satisfied with your dad's Sprinter and that has been virtually trouble free.
I would like too ask you how it has been getting mainenance work done and did Freightliner do the one warrantee job in a timely and trouble free manner?
I would appreciate any advice that you could give me in regards to Sprinter ownership.

Thanks,
Marty

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
How is your dad's sprinter set up? Does he have a small sleeper in it? I saw one up close a couple days ago being used as a ambulance. Looked pretty cool. Can anyone tell me how much one of these go for? Looks to be alot more roomy than a ford E350. Any other info would be appreciated.
Randy:)

FLYNSCOT

Expert Expediter
IN RESPONSE TO THE WARRANTY WORK DONE! IT WAS DONE IN A TIMELY MANNER TERRY AT GREENSBORO FREIGHTLINER WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL AND STEVE THE SALES GUY IS AN EXCELLENT SALESMAN AND KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THE SPRINTERS. I FORGOT TO MENTION WE HAD THE TRANSMISSION FLUID REPLACED AT 90,000 AND THE REAR AXLE OIL REPLACED ALSO THE CHARGE FOR THAT WAS VERY REASONABLE.:)

FLYNSCOT

Expert Expediter
HE JUST HAS A BLOW UP MATTRESS WE USE THE SPACE FOR FREIGHT THAT IS HOW YOU MAKE YOUR MONEY!! BY THE WAY I JUST GOT BACK FROM ENGLAND,UK AND THERE WERE SPRINTERS EVERYWHERE I TALKED TO A COUPLE OF DRIVERS AT THE REST STOPS AND A FEW OF THEM HAD OVER 500,000 MILES ON THEIR VEHICLES NO ONE HAVING ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS PLUS THEY HAD THE GOVERNER OFF OF THEIR VEHICLES A FEW OF THEM TOLD ME THEY COULD CRUISE ALL DAY AT 100 MPH. IN THE STATES THEY ARE GOVERNED TO 85 MPH.