Sprinter vs Cargo van?

guido4475

Not a Member
First and foremost..It is a work truck...it is your money maker....Whilst you should be as comfortable as PRACTICALLY possible...you want comfort??...get a room or go home....

Why be uncomfortable in something that we spend most of our lives in? The more comfortable, the easier it is to deal with the sometimes long periods of waiting for a load. And the happier we may be...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My take is yes it is a work van but there is a fine line in some respects. The more comfortable you are the easier it is to stay on the road and earn money. The more creature comforts you have within reason the longer you stay out which converts to more money long term.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

That is why I said...."as practical"....;)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes we were basically agreeing I just think you can have comfort in your work van.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You did say "you want comfort.. go home" that implies something.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I pretty much ignore the 8550 limit and stay very cognizant of the 10k rule

Running over 8550 in a Sprinter 2500 is not just ill advised it is also a violation. Hauling 9990 pounds in a 2500 won't violate the 10k rule of logs and HOS but it is illegal and in the event of a crash will lead to even greater negative consequences. Then there's the abuse of one's vehicle. Hauling 9990 pounds 1k miles would be like hauling 8490 pounds a much greater distance. I'm sure there will be various opinions. YMMV

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running over 8550 in a Sprinter 2500 is not just ill advised it is also a violation. Hauling 9990 pounds in a 2500 won't violate the 10k rule of logs and HOS but it is illegal and in the event of a crash will lead to even greater negative consequences. Then there's the abuse of one's vehicle. Hauling 9990 pounds 1k miles would be like hauling 8490 pounds a much greater distance. I'm sure there will be various opinions. YMMV

Maybe the rest of us should stand by to pick up the pieces. You might get by a few pounds over, but--- there's a reason for that sticker being there. Stay within that sticker and you're in "safe" territory, go beyond it and you're eating up your safety margin really fast.

Your suspension has to carry that weight, ditto the tires. Brakes have to stop it, steering has to turn it and the engine and power-train have to get the whole shebang moving. Running seriously overweight is asking for more trouble than you need...... but, it's your funeral so don't let wiser heads slow you down on the way to it.

guido4475

Not a Member
Maybe the rest of us should stand by to pick up the pieces. You might get by a few pounds over, but--- there's a reason for that sticker being there. Stay within that sticker and you're in "safe" territory, go beyond it and you're eating up your safety margin really fast.

Your suspension has to carry that weight, ditto the tires. Brakes have to stop it, steering has to turn it and the engine and power-train have to get the whole shebang moving. Running seriously overweight is asking for more trouble than you need...... but, it's your funeral so don't let wiser heads slow you down on the way to it.

That's why I loove my 12,500# cutaway chassis, with a SRW. It's tagged in the door jamb at 9,600, but I know it can do it if the need arises...Once, I did a small run with a 3k skid on the tail end...it only dropped 1.5 inches..9 leaf springs per side in the rear...won't do that on a long run, but it is nice to know it is built for more than door jamb rated...tires are 3,400 each also..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And what's your MPG? :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's why I loove my 12,500# cutaway chassis, with a SRW. It's tagged in the door jamb at 9,600, but I know it can do it if the need arises...Once, I did a small run with a 3k skid on the tail end...it only dropped 1.5 inches..9 leaf springs per side in the rear...won't do that on a long run, but it is nice to know it is built for more than door jamb rated...tires are 3,400 each also..

Any time you are over 9600 you are illegal regardless of the chassis original rating. You may not be abusing the chassis like someone doing the same thing in a stock Sprinter 2500 but are no more legal.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, Turtle, I think you're driving something a bit beefier than a 2500 anyhow. All those goodies and you still get 2600 lbs--- that suggests you're driving a 3500 series van.
Newp. 2005 Sprinter 2500 HSC, with 8550 GVW. I don't think I could have all the same goodies in a newer model year Sprinter, though. I probably would, just lighter, like the shelving and a few other things.

I've been thinking a bit about the printer/scanner/copier, and wondering what would work in a van. A lot of those machines are sensitive enough that they won't survive in our environment, so-- what do you use?
I had an HP Photosmart for several years and replaced it with a Canon PIXMA MX410 which is larger than the HP and larger than I'd like. I replaced the HP because it finally quit working, but it turned out it was a bad cable and the printer was fine. But by the time I had figured out it was the cable I already had the new in place and mounted (on top of the microwave using industrial strength Velcro). I got the Canon in July, 2011. Cost $80. But the HP lasted more than 4 years, and it would probably still be in here if I had figured out it was the cable and not the printer.

But even if I replaced it once a year, $80 is cheap in my opinion, to be able to scan receipts and other important documents that I want to keep a copy of on the computer. I also use it a lot as a copier, more than as a printer, to make copies of BOLs when I'm only given one copy from the shipper.

First and foremost..It is a work truck...it is your money maker....Whilst you should be as comfortable as PRACTICALLY possible...you want comfort??...get a room or go home....
Getting a room very often will get expensive, and going home all the time can get even more expensive in lost revenue. There's really no reason to be out here and not be comfortable. If you're not comfortable out here, then "uncomfortable" becomes "miserable" in short order, and you won't want to stay out here very long. You become perpetually irritable and start snapping at dispatchers, shippers and receivers, you fight with people on the CB, yell at the more stupid PilotFlyingJ employees, pee on the tires of the van you're parked next to, you find yourself deadheading from one place to another just to get moving because you can't stand sitting, your stress level goes up, and before you know it you've got two stents and you have to quit smoking.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Lol....rotfl!! Post of the year goes to Turtle!

I'll say too....there is a whole lot of MISinformation in this thread. I would strongly suggest the original poster spend some time doing his own research. Also, spend some time seeking out, and talking to, some people who actually own vehicles similiar to the vehicles he is interested in. Find out the real facts, then make your decision. It will come down to personal choice.

Pros for gm, ford... Ultramaxx, Terramax, Cargomax vehicles:
1: They are built here so parts and service are readily available and the maintenance costs are reasonable.
2. The fuel mileage is less than a Sprinter, but they burn gas...and gas is cheaper by the gallon. Cost per mile will be more but when you calculate it, it is usually a 5-7 cents difference per mile. Do your own math, then you'll know.
3. Any of the above mentioned vehicles will have over 3,000 lbs of legal load weight available when you buy it. All items that you add to the vehicle will take away from that weight. Its your personal choice as to when you stop adding weight. By the way....same goes for a sprinter. Anyone who tells you different from this is either an uninformed fool or a liar.

The downside to the above mentioned vehicles is gas mileage. You will find that gas is cheaper by the gallon, but not enough to make up the difference. Other than fuel mileage, I know of nothing that a Sprinter offers that the others don't.

Pros for Sprinter:
1. Fuel mileage. The newer Sprinters will get 20mpg. Some will tell you more, some will tell you less. Do your research, come to your own conclusion.
2. The extended length sprinter will have about 1-1/2 feet more cargo length. Of course, that extra length will cost you some payload weight.
Cons for the Sprinter:
1: EPA mandated emissions equipment. If you don't think it's expensive, seek out a few people who have had to have repairs made to their newer Sprinters. If anyone tries to tell you that they won't have problems sooner or later....seek out the same people mentioned in the last sentence.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Newp. 2005 Sprinter 2500 HSC, with 8550 GVW. I don't think I could have all the same goodies in a newer model year Sprinter, though. I probably would, just lighter, like the shelving and a few other things.

I had an HP Photosmart for several years and replaced it with a Canon PIXMA MX410 which is larger than the HP and larger than I'd like. I replaced the HP because it finally quit working, but it turned out it was a bad cable and the printer was fine. But by the time I had figured out it was the cable I already had the new in place and mounted (on top of the microwave using industrial strength Velcro). I got the Canon in July, 2011. Cost $80. But the HP lasted more than 4 years, and it would probably still be in here if I had figured out it was the cable and not the printer.

But even if I replaced it once a year, $80 is cheap in my opinion, to be able to scan receipts and other important documents that I want to keep a copy of on the computer. I also use it a lot as a copier, more than as a printer, to make copies of BOLs when I'm only given one copy from the shipper.

Getting a room very often will get expensive, and going home all the time can get even more expensive in lost revenue. There's really no reason to be out here and not be comfortable. If you're not comfortable out here, then "uncomfortable" becomes "miserable" in short order, and you won't want to stay out here very long. You become perpetually irritable and start snapping at dispatchers, shippers and receivers, you fight with people on the CB, yell at the more stupid PilotFlyingJ employees, pee on the tires of the van you're parked next to, you find yourself deadheading from one place to another just to get moving because you can't stand sitting, your stress level goes up, and before you know it you've got two stents and you have to quit smoking.

I am very comfortable with the amenities I have.... Thank you very much....lol. As far as 2 stents and stress that came with the moderator job and listening to ex straight truck drivers......Tada !!! Lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Other than fuel mileage, I know of nothing that a Sprinter offers that the others don't.
Well, as a Sprinter owner, you get to be viewed upon in one of two lights, the light of pity, because you own a Sprinter and they pity you, or in the light of snooty and snotty, because you own a Mercedes.

One other huge benefit is, when you break down you will often find yourself at a Mercedes dealer for repairs, so you get to hang out in the lounge with rich folks where there is free bottled water in the mini fridge.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
One might think...after reading these posts...that expeditors, have become expeditors because they are independent thinkers....

TRoss1776

Active Expediter
I'm perfectly comfortable in my " work" sprinter with the little I have. If your fine working/ living in a cargo van, good for you. I stay out months at a time so yes I want to be comfortable while out without having to get hotel rooms.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app