Sprinter Tires

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I must have gotten the only decent set of Continentals out there. I have 71k on my '07 and I'm still on the original set of tires. There is still a decent amount of tread left and they've worn evenly so far. My only complaint is snow driving. I had Firestones on my previous van (E-350) and did quite well with those, so that's probably what I'll go with when these wear out.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
I never thought to contact my dealer on replacing my tires, but since he was in Kansas, it probably wouldn't have done me much good. I put the Michelins on and am pleased so far... I think I may have had too much air in front tires, was running them at 70# (specs say it should be 47#) lbs and the tire guy said that would cause abnormal wear on outside edge of tire. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'll watch 'em and see what happens.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On my '05 Sprinter the specs on the seat say 55 front, 80 rear, and that's how I ran the first set of tires. I was very pleased with the performance and longevity. When I got new tires a few months ago I went with 80 pounds all around. Slightly rougher ride up front, but not really noticeable. and I'm getting slightly better fuel mileage (.1 to .2 MPG better). With only 25,000 miles on these, it's too early to tell, but so far there is no discernible abnormal tread wear. I went with 80/80 at the suggestion of my tire guy, someone who's been in the business a long, long time and a friend for nearly 40 years. Said if it's too rough, let some pressure out, but it definitely won't damage the tire.

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I hear you folks talk about nitrogen in your tires. Can anyone give the skinny about this. What does it do????? What is the cost?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hear you folks talk about nitrogen in your tires. Can anyone give the skinny about this. What does it do????? What is the cost?

Below are some of the discussions we've had on these boards about nitrogen. Read through 'em. :)

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/19961-improving-fuel-milage.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/22512-nitrogen-inflation-improves-tread-life.html

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/22617-nitrogen.html

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Turtle, I did ask the wingfoot dealer in Columbus about it several months ago and he wasn't sold on the idea. I'm begining to think that he just didn't offer it and didn't care. I'll look around this weekend to see if I can find a dealer in Columbus. Thanks again. Late4dinner

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
sprinter service team where i get my van service
conti are the worst tires money can buy and that's from a dealer. if i had known tires were that bad i would have change tires from the 03 to 07 if i could have
but new tires didn't match up

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yeah .... I've managed to get 122K+ out of the original Michelin LTX A/S's that the vehicle had on it from the factory ..... the left rear is >3/32nds currently and the right rear is >2/32nds .... but not quite down to the wear bars yet. The fronts are at >5/32nds. These tires had some very fine sidewall cracks in them when we got the vehicle from the dealer in May of '06 with 1500 miles on it.

I bought 4 of the LTX M/S from Tire Rack ($148 per tire, $634 out the door with the disposal fee and Indiana sales tax) when I went by on the way home Thursday - I would have had them mount and balance them (@ $15 per tire) ... but their door was too low to get the Sprinter inside to the service area.

The LTX M/S's have a slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the A/S and 2/32nds more tread depth (15/32 vs 13/32) than the A/S's. As Jack mentions the Tire Rack has a customer survey/rating system for each tire. Although not exactly scientific, the M/S's come out a little better than A/S's - at least in the opinion of the customers that have bought these tires (A/S's and M/S's)

Sometime over the next week I'll have two of them mounted on the rims that are currently on the rear (after I repaint them) and then move those up to the front, and have the ones that are currently on the front moved to the back, since I ought to be able to squeeze another 15K miles out of them on the rear. I'm willing to do this given the season ..... if it was late November I'd probably just go ahead and have all four replaced now.

BTW, I considered the new(er) LTX A/T² which were essentially the same price ($7 more per tire) and which have an even more aggressive tread pattern than the M/S's, and are supposed to have best treadlife out of all the LTX's - but the guy I talked to there (BJ) claimed that they would probably be quite a bit noisier than the A/S's.

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
just saw kgs response about hankook tires on his ford. the po had hankooks on this van and got, i think, 118,000 miles on them. he must have run them down to the tread bars like the tires i got rid of recently.