Sprinter Roof Seam Leak

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Has anyone had the roof seam on their sprinter leak??? What did you do to fix it.

Have had seams open in several spots over the years. It appears to be a common fault on the 2006's. The spot welds weren't strong enough to handle the body flex. Or so I was told by a body shop.

Get a tube of clear silicone, clean the spot real well and fill the seam with the silicone. It works perfectly and eliminates the problem.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Although silicone probably works fine, RV places have a white roof chalk that is made just for that problem. We've used it on our roof vent and air conditioning and it seems to be way better than silicone. Its crazy good!

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
3M 5200. It will be permanent. We use it on boats above and below the watering. It bonds to almost everything permanently. It is very difficult to remove once set up especially if two pieces are bonded together. Comes in white and other colors. You can get it at home depot and I think Lowes.
There is also a fast dry version. It is where the caulk is. If you don't want something so robust then you can use 4200. It is more iv resistant, but the 5200, nothing really messes with it. I had a leak between the sleeper and the cab on the truck. I loosened the joining bolts and dumped the air for the sleeper to spread the gap. Squeezed the caulk up in there, tightened the bolts. No more leak. That was 2 years ago.
Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

Last edited:

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Although silicone probably works fine, RV places have a white roof chalk that is made just for that problem. We've used it on our roof vent and air conditioning and it seems to be way better than silicone. Its crazy good!

I use the silicone because it flexes better than the roof chalk and doesn't crack or shrink.