Sprinter Owners

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
Before buying my CargoMax, I talked to a lot of GM van owners and its my understanding that 500-600,000 mile lifespan is a reasonable expectation with some going much farther. Sprinters will do at least as well and likely better.

If you buy a 3 y/o tractor with 300-400,000 miles and expect to get it to a million miles.... it's a wash on usable lifespan. Personally, I think you need to look at overall profitability...per mile, per month, etc (depends on your type of operation and use) and base your decision on that.

I used $40,000 initial cost and 400,000 miles for my numbers which gives me 10 cents per mile for equipment cost+ maint+ fuel. There are lots of threads discussing the fuel and maint.

Sprinters have well proven themselves to be a great vehicle. I prefer the CargoMax only because it is a simpler vehicle. The Sprinter will get better fuel mileage. It is an individual preference between the two. Do your research.

Full Disclosure: I dont own Isis....but Im about to eat there.

Would it be worth investing in a $30k van over a used semi? I mean taking into account the money per mile you will make based on the weight of the load and the dimensions, I'm just wondering why do people invest that type of money in vans? Reading so much on this forum about people with courier routes it seems like on average people are making around $2,500-$3000, and that is still running OTR, responsible for their own repairs, while still making payments on a $30k machine. I can see how most posts advice new drivers that they may go broke and homeless in this industry driving a van.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Ernest wrote:

Reading so much on this forum about people with courier routes it seems like on average people are making around $2,500-$3000,

I don't know much about the "courier" business, since it isn't expediting...What I do know is that anyone only making $2500-$3000 gross a month, month in and month out in the "expediting" business needs to get out...

And as long as I have been on this site(6 yrs) I don't recall anyone telling a "new person" that is just entering the "expedithing" business to go out and buy a "new" van, sprinter, cube, or Max type unit or to even spend $30,000 on a used CV type of unit...in my time here, it has been quite the opposite...

Last edited:

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
Ernest wrote:

And as long as I have been on this site(6 yrs) I don't recall anyone telling a "new person" that is just entering the "expedithing" business to go out and buy a "new" van, sprinter, cube, or Max type unit or to even spend $30,000 on a used CV type of unit...in my time here, it has been quite the opposite...

The part about advising new drivers had nothing to do with the part about purchasing a $30k unit. I was wondering why even people who had been in this business are doing it, and not understanding simply makes me see why on more then one thread i've read that people have lost all they had over one accident.

Again i'm just trying to understand why and how do people that spend money on new vans can get their moneys worth driving a smaller type vehicle in this industry.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Again i'm just trying to understand why and how do people that spend money on new vans can get their moneys worth driving a smaller type vehicle in this industry.

The fact that a van is NOT regulated, (unless it is hauling more than 1,000 of hazmat), makes it more profitable.

10 hour breaks are not mandated, nor are 11/14 hour work days.

I, personally, only sleep 5-6 hours a night, no matter where I am. When my rest is complete, I am free to accept a load and move on.

If the load requires 12-14 hours on the road for delivery, I'm comfortable with that also.

If the load, for example, is moving from North Carolina to Oregon, and is still "expedited", the dispatched mph is 50 mph. Obviously I can move faster than that, and can "build in" my required 5-6 hours of rest along the way.

There are advantages to driving a van rated less than 10,000 pounds. But if you do not see them, then I suggest you remain with larger vehicles.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
For the most pat people that do this in a CV or like unit do just fine...Those that go broke and lose the van or more are normally the ones that haven't set themselves up to succeed to begin with. You'd be surprised by the number of people that jump into this business thinking its a easy quick way to make a quick buck and they ran out and bought a used $5-8000 van and then don't have the cash for the drug test at orientation or for the 1st tank of gas for their 1st load and they need a draw or com data check to even go pickup that 1st load...those are the ones that go broke...

As i said above, anyone that is only making $2500-$3000 gross a month, month in and month out, in a CV or like unit, needs to get out of the business..they have no idea how to do this...and yes they are going to go broke...

You can run a search in the Newbie forum for a thread about TJP's Trials...his owner put him in a brand new $40,000 2010 Sprinter . within 6 months he had an accident and hit a deer...because of a multiude of errors that van was down for almost 5 months...the owner made 5 payments with no income coming in, he paid all other related expenses, QC, Insurances etc....He didn't lose a thing..When the van was finally fixed, TJP got in it and ran for over 100,000 miles...That owner had set himself up to make money from the start...those of us that do, make it very well....

There are people out here running solo in Sprinter / Cubes / Cargo Max type units that can and do match or make more then alot of solo ST drivers....with less investment, less cost of operations and less headaches, not to mention no DOT, No Logs, No Scales no HOS...and we can go and park most anywhere we want....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ernest wrote:

I don't know much about the "courier" business, since it isn't expediting...What I do know is that anyone only making $2500-$3000 gross a month, month in and month out in the "expediting" business needs to get out...

Time to pull a leg or two...you must'of been a lurker for a few years...Join date of March 08 to Feb 12 is not 6 years? :cool:

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
The fact that a van is NOT regulated, (unless it is hauling more than 1,000 of hazmat), makes it more profitable.

10 hour breaks are not mandated, nor are 11/14 hour work days.

I, personally, only sleep 5-6 hours a night, no matter where I am. When my rest is complete, I am free to accept a load and move on.

If the load requires 12-14 hours on the road for delivery, I'm comfortable with that also.

If the load, for example, is moving from North Carolina to Oregon, and is still "expedited", the dispatched mph is 50 mph. Obviously I can move faster than that, and can "build in" my required 5-6 hours of rest along the way.

There are advantages to driving a van rated less than 10,000 pounds. But if you do not see them, then I suggest you remain with larger vehicles.

Thanks .... for breaking it down.

Ernest1982

Active Expediter
For the most pat people that do this in a CV or like unit do just fine...Those that go broke and lose the van or more are normally the ones that haven't set themselves up to succeed to begin with. You'd be surprised by the number of people that jump into this business thinking its a easy quick way to make a quick buck and they ran out and bought a used $5-8000 van and then don't have the cash for the drug test at orientation or for the 1st tank of gas for their 1st load and they need a draw or com data check to even go pickup that 1st load...those are the ones that go broke...

As i said above, anyone that is only making $2500-$3000 gross a month, month in and month out, in a CV or like unit, needs to get out of the business..they have no idea how to do this...and yes they are going to go broke...

You can run a search in the Newbie forum for a thread about TJP's Trials...his owner put him in a brand new $40,000 2010 Sprinter . within 6 months he had an accident and hit a deer...because of a multiude of errors that van was down for almost 5 months...the owner made 5 payments with no income coming in, he paid all other related expenses, QC, Insurances etc....He didn't lose a thing..When the van was finally fixed, TJP got in it and ran for over 100,000 miles...That owner had set himself up to make money from the start...those of us that do, make it very well....

There are people out here running solo in Sprinter / Cubes / Cargo Max type units that can and do match or make more then alot of solo ST drivers....with less investment, less cost of operations and less headaches, not to mention no DOT, No Logs, No Scales no HOS...and we can go and park most anywhere we want....

Thanks..... for breaking it down.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Time to pull a leg or two...you must'of been a lurker for a few years...Join date of March 08 to Feb 12 is not 6 years? :cool:[/QUOTE

I lurked for well over 2 yrs as i was running the Personal Chef Business...I 1st approached my 1st carrier in 2006 for general info ( i lived 5 miles from there office and the VP is a long time friend of mine) but didnt sign with them and didnt take my 1st load until July of 2008, after i drove to the Expo to sit down with them ( kind goofy on my part, their builsding is 5 miles from my home, but i drove to the Expo to sit down face to face and sign with them).....So yea, I lurked, read and didn't ask questiones until i had pretty much figured out i was going to do this....

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Its all a matter of profit per mile to me. If my per mile avg is where I want it, then its a matter of doing the right things to keep freight on the truck or van. That, in turn, gets the overall revenue up. My research tells me that I can run close to, maybe as much, profit with the CargoMax as I was with the straight truck. How to keep freight on it might be a learning curve, but I know several who have done it. I'll figure it out.

I will expect to gross more than $2500-$3,000/month. I would like to see an avg of $1500-$2,000 plus ....per week.... when Im in service.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All Sprinters are built by Mercedes, it doesn't matter if it says Mercedes, Freightliner or Dodge on the side. Other than a few cosmetic difference, and the picture on the cover of the owner's manual, they are identical.

They are so identical that I was ordering a bunch of parts for mine, and ordered a grille for it at the same time. A friggin' Dodge grille showed up, and I have a Freightliner. First thought, "They sent the wrong grille." Second thought, half a second later, "Crap. I can't believe I did that."