Sprinter losing power 2005

Lonnierc

Seasoned Expediter
I would like to see if anyone has had this problem before I have to take it to the dealer. When driving it will lose power, it still runs but can only do about 55-60. You can pull over and turn the key off and back on and it will have power again. It does it more often if you drive over 65. It did this once before and it was the EGR valve. So when it did it this time I changed the EGR and it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas?

2005 Sprinter 344000 miles

Thanks
Lonnie

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would like to see if anyone has had this problem before I have to take it to the dealer. When driving it will lose power, it still runs but can only do about 55-60. You can pull over and turn the key off and back on and it will have power again. It does it more often if you drive over 65. It did this once before and it was the EGR valve. So when it did it this time I changed the EGR and it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas?

2005 Sprinter 344000 miles

Thanks
Lonnie

What you are describing is caused by the Turbo Resonator. It most likely has a small crack in it and is losing vacuum. It's a pretty common problem.When you turn the engine off, the ECU comes out of limp in and resets.

Don't throw the old part away as it can be resealed and used again if you can find the crack.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had that happen three times. Once for a split intake hose, unclip it from the intake and look real good under the hose. After that was replaced it happened again about 5,000 miles. I could not find any holes in the hoses, I replaced the turbo res. It still did it. Took it to a dealer and they did a pressure test on the intercooler. It leaked, so when I got home, I ordered a new one and replaced it myself. No more limp mode. You should be able to get Auto Zone to read the ECM and it will show the error code. My engine light would not come on everytime it went into limp mode. I bought a scanner and reset it on the run, instead of pulling over and restarting. Did that for almost two months until I could get time to fix it.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also, there is a tale tale sign it is in the turbo system. It goes into limp mode when you are going up a steep grade, or a small one under load.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Lonnie, if you can't find the problem, don't take it to the dealer. Call my Sprinter mechanic down in Toledo. His name is Wayne Rodd, phone # is 419-304-9996, tell him Nick from Detroit sent you. This man has saved me thousands of dollars on repairs over the dealer, he has the knowledge, tools, and possessional scan tools that the dealer techs have but works at a fraction of the dealer rate.

tughillrunner

Expert Expediter
geo has had that problem and they had to clean out egr cooling system at 86,000 miles
it was plug full of exhaust build up

Lonnierc

Seasoned Expediter
I did find a 2 inch tear in the upper intake hose today. I drove it a little and its working for now. The light is now out, and I will drive about 70 miles tomorrow and see how it does.

Thanks Lonnie

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What Scanner did you get?

It's a AutoScan got it at Auto Zone for 125.00.

You will have to get that hose replaced. It comes as one unit. Top hose, box, and bottom hose. Easy way to do it, buy the whole unit (about 60 to 70 bucks at dealer), and just replace the upper hose at this time. Once you disconnect the upper hose from the intake, replace that little clip back on the intake without the hose. One hose clamp now holds that upper hose in place, remove the old hose and replace it with the new one. After you clamp it on push the other end into the intake until you hear a click, that sound ensures you have seated the new hose. Some folks put the hose in and then try to clamp it in. It's a 5 to 10 min fix this way. Your fuel mileage will show an improvement to.

And the engine light will go out after 5 starts. The problem is still there with that split. Best to replace it now.

Glad it was not the cooler.

Last edited:

Lonnierc

Seasoned Expediter
I did replace it today. I had picked up things I thought I would need from the dealer friday. Thanks for the info on the clip. I didnt think if felt right, I will take it back off in the morning.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App