SPRINTER BLOWING 200 AMP FUSE AND ALT

BIGRIG_787

Expert Expediter
Has anyone else had this problem I have been down since thursday had it in a dodge shop they put a new alt. and fuse in said that took care of the problem went 3 miles down the road blew the fuse agian back to dodge dealer was to alt was to small not enough volts.They put a 165 alt on said it was fixed.Went 10 miles down the road it was ok had it ideling in motel parking and was clean it up the fuse blew. Thanks a head of time for any help you can give.x(

BIGRIG_787

Expert Expediter
No Terry I ment a 200 amp fuse it is located out by the battery not sure what it protects. Thank you for replying though.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"...dodge dealer was to alt was to small not enough volts."

Go back to that Dodge dealer and politely beat them about the head and shoulders with the old alternator. It's the voltage regulator that determines the volts.

A fuse never blows because of volts, be they too low or too high. They blow because the amps in the circuit that is greater than the fuse's amperage capacity and causes the metal in the fuse to heat up, melt, and break the circuit. In any case, an alternator that is outputting too few volts is hardly the likely cause of too many amps.

A 200 amp fuse could be carrying 2000 volts, or 2 volts, doesn't matter, as long as it's not trying to pass more than 200 amps through it.

amps x volts = watts

200 amps x 12 volts = 2400 watts

(watts / volts = amps, too. Look, Ma! 8th grade math! :) )

So the question is, what do you have running off that fused line that is more than 2400 watts at 12 volts? If the answer is nothing (likely), then there is probably a short (or a frayed wire, as someone suggested). That's the alternator terminal to the battery's busbar, and there are other fuses off the same busbar with fewer amps. If you had something connected to one of the other fuses, one of those fuses would blow before the 200 amp fuse would.

So, unless you have something else connected directly to the same terminal bolt as the alternator, and are thus running it off the same 200 amp fuse as the alternator, the culprit almost has to be a short in the alternator's wiring harness somewhere.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I blew a 125 amp fuse on my chevy van, what had happened was one of the wires i had run back to my aux. battery that I thought was safely tucked away had moved and some metal had worn through the insulation and shorted out the system. I would guess your having the same problem somewhere. whether it was something you installed or not. It takes alot to blow a 200 amp fuse.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
that has to be a direct short and with than much power you should have seen smoke if not a lot of sparks check the positive cable from the battery to the starter that would be my first thought but where ever it is it will be a LARGE wire as a small wire would have melted away and something wouldn't be working

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>>Ohh The BIG fuse...
>>
>>maybe someone might know at our sister site:
>>
>>http://www.mysprintervan.com
>
>When did this start and why are you there? :p

Lawrence has had this site for along time...only it wasn't moving much and now Dreamer is also admin over there as well....

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Turtle,
I agree with you in that I think there has to be an intermittant short somewhere between that 200 amp fuse and the main disturbution buss of the van. Most vehicles have what is called a fuseable link which is basically a fuse made into the main cable going to the buss. Usually all current draw except the starter draw goes through this fuse or fuseable link. Sometimes a plate can short in the battery itself and throw an excessive load on the alternator. Several possiblitys but like you, I don't think the alt was or is the problem.
That having been said I will disagree with you on the part where you say a fuse never blows because of volts, be they too high or too low. As you correctly stated a 200 amp fuse at 12 volts will handle a 2400 watt load. But a 200 amp fuse at 11.5 volts will only handle a 2300 watt load. At 11.0 volts it will only handle 2200 watts. To handle 2400 watts at 11.5 volts the fuse would have to be rated at 208 amps. At 11.0 volts it would need to be a 218 amp fuse. Going the other way if the voltage is 13.6 (engine running)then a 176 amp fuse would handle the 2400 watt load.So the voltage going through a fuse does matter. Matters a great deal.
Don't think this has anything to do with the main problem here but just wanted to clear it up in case someone was trying to figure out what amp fuse they need for some circuit in the future. Or how many watts a fuse will carry with a weak battery. Or how many amps a certain load will pull out of a battery when trying to calculate how many amp/hours of battery reserve capacity they need to handle a cooler or tv, etc for a certain number of hours without running the engine.. As the battery gets weaker the amperage draw increases.
Not wanting to argue just wanting to maybe help someone. Dieseldoctor