Speeding in Ohio

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In Ohio, if a cop says it looked like you were speeding, he can write you a ticket - no proof needed. Makes things so much easier for law enforcement if they don't have to be bothered with the burden of proof.

The state's supreme court ruled five-to-one that independent verification of a driver's speed isn't necessary... things like laser guns or radar or actually clocking how fast you're going. The court says an officer's visual estimate will work as long as the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in finding speeders.

Supporters say that officers undergo extensive training where they have to visually estimate the speed of vehicles within one or two miles per hour of the actual speed.

Nonetheless, law enforcement officials insist they won't be getting rid of their speed guns; and that it's rare for officers to give tickets based solely on their observations. But the state's highest court says if they want to, it's quite all right.

The case stemmed from the appeal of a traffic ticket issued near Akron, Ohio in 2008.

In that case, a police officer ticketed a driver because he said it looked like the driver was going too fast.

Without any technical assistance, the cop determined that the motorist was going 70 miles-per-hour when the speed limit was 60. The driver says the court's decision "stinks." The driver is right.

Here's my question to you:
What else will police be able to do without proof if they can now give speeding tickets if they simply "think" a car is going too fast?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here's my question to you:
What else will police be able to do without proof if they can now give speeding tickets if they simply "think" a car is going too fast?

The question makes it sound like this is something new. It's not. In Michigan it's called something like violation of the basic speed law.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if this would have flown about 20-25 years ago, back when we had a Bill of Rights and common sense.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was made aware of the Mich law back in the 70s. I was pulled over in my 68 Camaro and was told of the list of violations I could be written for, the speed law being one of them. He wrote me for noise and said if I got quieter mufflers I wouldn't have to pay a fine. Nice guy...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
assault, murder, rape, robbery, lying, wrong tire pressure...I really would like to see that training program that allows leo to decide how fast a vehicle is going. So much for having to keep the radar calibrated when it's only an issue of opinion.

And to think OVM used to be a liberal.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
assault, murder, rape, robbery, lying, wrong tire pressure...I really would like to see that training program that allows leo to decide how fast a vehicle is going. So much for having to keep the radar calibrated when it's only an issue of opinion.

And to think OVM used to be a liberal.

eb

Correction..Canadian Conservative/Liberal....there is a difference..:eek:

termite289

Expert Expediter
so if he is allowed to judge my speed, by his experience, can i cal his wife a fat alcoholic, just like her mother, from mine???