Speedco Truck Lube

G

hello folks, Well I sent my driver into Speedco To have a Pm done on my one D unit and they did all the work okay. I have been taking My Trucks there for the last 4 years and the price for a smaller truck was $99.95. So as of Jan 1,2003 they rasied there price's and changed there price plan. It is now $139.95 because I have 32 qt's of oil, there saying that there cut off point for smaller truck is 30qts of oil now, which is the same $99.95. So now there saying because i hold 32 qt's it's now $40.00 more than before. A big truck oil change at the Petro is that. so why would you want to go to Speedco now and have to pay more if you have Cat filter's. ( which they do charge if you have a CAT motor). So my bill was $107.00 when it was there old pricing. So now my driver bought me a bill back for $183.78 for the same oil change that was $107.00. I just thought you all should know that should know of there plans to rip us off. would like to hear how everyone feels about there new price's.

be safe on the road folks
Dave Mayfield

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Loks like Speedco may be pricing themselves out of Business.i had an oil change done at the Speedco in Jackson Ga about 2 weeks ago and my bill also came to $178.,used to be about $130. My engine holds 22 quarts,and I put in a gallon of Lucas Oil Stablizer.3 filters.oil filter,water seperator filter and primary filter. While I was there some drivers of Big Trucks were also complaining about the prices,however it sure beats killing a day at the local Freightliner,KW dealership.

Harold

Expert Expediter
if you ever get to the toledo area go to pretrip they will do a basic service for 89.95 cat filter arond 6.00 extra.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been using Pretrip in Toledo and have been pleased with their work. On one occassion they did not wait for the oil to settle in my cat 3126 and overfilled it by over one gallon. However, on another occassion, I paid my bill and went to the truck stop about 100 yards away. The young man from Pretrip came running into the truck stop and handed me my wallet with several hundred dollars in cash. If he had not chased me down, I could of been several hundred miles down the road without cash, credit/bank cards and CDL. Not a pleasant thought!!!! They get my vote.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if in norfolk/chesapeake/virginia beach area
go to carter cat in cavailer ind park chesapeake va 23323
800 276 0059 ex 5801, truck shop super mike worrell
call ahead for appt, in out in about hour have 157.00 oil lube pms
sp include's cat filter and oill tel geo sent ya
so i get credit for it

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I usually get my A-service done at my local shop, but occasionally go to Speedco. Last Speedco bill was $128.00, in Troy, IL in March.
Truck holds 40 quarts of oil and has 2 filters. I'll see what they want next time around, but they at least used to be a good deal.
-Weave-

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Yes, I've also noticed speedco prices going up. But trying doing this. If you are only like 4 or less quarts over the $99.95 price, just have them put in thirty quarts, (if thats the cutoff), then pull the truck out, dump in a gallon(or less depending on how much more you need), and WALAHHH. You just got your oil change for $99.95 + $7.99(extra gallon)= $107.94 + tax.
P.S. They will allow you to leave their stall w/o being full.

Harold

Expert Expediter
Pretrip is located off I-75 Exit 210 alexis road, go west on alexis when you get to the bottom of the I-75 overpass there is a Pilot fuel stop on the corner of alexis and hagman road ,turn right go past the pilot exit up hagman about 800 feet on the right hand side is Pretrip.
Their hours are Monday thru Friday 7am-9pm. saturday 7am-3pm.

gambler

Expert Expediter
>Yes, I've also noticed speedco prices going up. But trying
>doing this. If you are only like 4 or less quarts over the
>$99.95 price, just have them put in thirty quarts, (if thats
>the cutoff), then pull the truck out, dump in a gallon(or
>less depending on how much more you need), and WALAHHH. You
>just got your oil change for $99.95 + $7.99(extra gallon)=
>$107.94 + tax.
>P.S. They will allow you to leave their stall w/o being
>full.

and to think i was gonna say that yesterday:'(

G

They will not let you do that if it takes 32 qts of oil then that's what they will put in or the will not change your oil. They don't want to be responable for your truck being low on oil they said. So if it more that 30 qts your paying the $139.995 plus the extra cost if you have Cat filter's. So they really know what there doing to make more money in the long run, and that is hurt the little guy.

Well be safe out on the road

David Mayfield
O/O for FedEx Custom Critical :)

Youngin

Expert Expediter
Well I was the unfortunate soul in question that took the truck to Speedco and had the oil changed. Since I am still relatively new at the game (driving for 8 months) I told them to put whatever was already on the truck not knowing any difference. I figured that those parts were on there for a reason so i told them to put the same parts on the truck not knowing until it was already done there would be an upcharge to it. They do not tell you this until the work is done that way you can't change your mind and have them put cheaper stuff on it. I had already called and told him the cost was going to be about $100 dollars judging from the chart that has the prices on it and it even says right on the chart they consider a small truck having a box up to 28' so you do the math if an average d unit has a 22ft box why shouldnt it be considered a small truck?

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
David, not sure why they wouldnt let you leave with thirty quarts. I've been doing that for a year and never had a problem. I always tell them that I'm gonna add a gallon of LUCAS, and away I go. I've even added it while in their stall. Never a problem.

G

Well driver's SpeedCo just called me after I called them last friday morning. Hows that for service. Well anyway I Don't think there going to like what I have to tell them, they know I posted this up here and I hope all the driver's and O/O tell them how they feel about there so called fair priceing. I will never use them again unless i have too. but as far as that they lost me as a customer.

Dave Mayfield

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
That is really too bad about Speedco. We have been using them for years.

The first thing that cheesed me off about them was that they quit staying open 24/7. Now if they are gonna pull this I will just go to FW Kenworth. They can't fix a truck but they can at least change the oil in one!

have you guys been to the Mr. Fuel in Indy? They have a DIY oil change area. They loan you the tools you need (Wrenches, oil filter wrench...etc) It has a lift like for cars so you can get underneath and they even give you coveralls so you won't get dirty!

All you pay for (According to the fuel desk girl and their flyer) is the oil you use. They throw in the grease (lubrication) for free! You can get out of there for as low as $40.00 for an oil change.

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
I have wanted a place like that around Cleveland for years. I do most of my repairs and maintenance and I'm always laying on my back in my gravel driveway, with my nose mashed up against the oil-soaked cross-beam. Loads of fun in the winter in Cleveland!!!
Jeff

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I'm a big Speedco fan. Seems they are conscientious and reliable. My FL-70 with a Cummins 8.3 would take 20 quarts and two filters on an oil change. (The Rocor filter is alwys an extra at Speedco.) Until several months ago I think it was about $110 for a PM. Went in one day and they told me on straight trucks they were now charging for the amount of oil used, filters, etc. on an as-used basis. Lo and behold I got a bill for less than $100.00. So FL-70 drivers should do well.

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think it's unfortunate that you all have suffered a increase in cost at speedco. I personally have no complaints w/ them. I have to pay the price for a big truck. Since my truck has a 500 Detroit. But in any case. Even if they raised the price I would continue to use them. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a liitle more and leave w/ peace of mind that they checked all the fluid levels and torqued the plugs etc. Plus, they have on site oil analysis. But thats just my preference. I can tell you I worked for 13 years as a technician @ a freightliner dealership. Prior to expediting. And I seen more stuff detroyed by truckstop garages. Plugs left out on rears. Stripped/rounded off drain plugs. Filters loose or overtightened. And the list goes on. I'm not saying to use speedco. But just because the truckstop is cheaper. Does not mean you are getting a quality job. Like the old saying goes you can pay now or pay later. Well enough said the choice is yours.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After last months bill of $178.00 for a Speedco Oil and Lube service,I decided to get a PM at my local Freightliner dealer.It helps to go in every so often so they remember who you are. My invoice for a routine PM,22 quarts,1 oil filter,2 fuel filters and the SCA anitfreeze filter was $208.00. My AC belt was slightly loose,1 hour labor charge to adjust it(which I could have done in 20 minutes) cost $75.00. So I guess Speedco isn!t too bad after all.

G

Another well satisfied Pre Trip customer here. In the nice weather, I do the PM in the back yard as well as service the transmission. (Probably would scare me to know what Allison charges and Pre Trip won't do automatics). When it's cold, I try to get into Pre Trip if I possibly can, 'cause it seems any other place is higher.

Has anyone ever tried Flying J? They advertise a pretty good price around here.