Speed Limiters

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I'm seeing some loopholes in this, may be there is some hope....

(3) A commercial motor vehicle is exempt from subsection 68.1 (1) of the Act if,
(a) it is not equipped with an electronic control module capable of being programmed to limit vehicle speed;
Who is to say if your truck has a module to limit speed?

And also, as long as you don't go over 62 and have your cruise set, they will never know you don't have a speed limiter - there is no physical way they can tell unless they get in your truck and tell you to floor it down the freeway. Just a thought.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
here we go again..this topic was thrashed around last month in quite some detail...

The ECM is in every truck prior to the exemption year..forget what that is...all they have to do is plug in a reader at the scales or on the side of the road and read your ECM with aa ECM reader....

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
OVM...I must be totally losing it. I missed all the talk before. Sorry folks for the "rehash" :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM...I must be totally losing it. I missed all the talk before. Sorry folks for the "rehash" :eek:

Hey it's an important issue....It's going to efect those that do Ontario and Quebec.:)

I'll betcha come the first nice spring day there'll be a crap load of green and whites at the scalehouses with thier little peter readers...

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With the spring safety blitz they'll prolly warn everyone then...and during the summer...oh boy...ticket time.

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
I foresee a niche market for a handheld ecm programmer to be carried by the O/O. Get close to the border and reprogram the unit. Get back to the States and set it higher again. When did trucking become the profit center of choice for government???

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I foresee a niche market for a handheld ecm programmer to be carried by the O/O. Get close to the border and reprogram the unit. Get back to the States and set it higher again. When did trucking become the profit center of choice for government???

25 years ago

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
As far as turning your truck’s speed up or down I do know that for Cummings you can buy a cable that goes from your laptop to the engine. And with their free download you can make several adjustments to your truck yourself including speed. I don’t know how much the cable is but if you want to run Canada you can do it yourself. I am sure the other engine mfg make a cable to do the same thing.