Speech to type

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
Has anybody ever used a program like Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I have Dragon 10 on the computer now, so far it's working real good however I have not tried setting in the truck at a truck stop to see if the noise would be too much for it. I used it to post this post and that seemed to have gotten all of the words correct. Just something else to play with in the truck.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe, how does the program determine punctuation? Like the question mark I used. Do you say the word "comma" or "period" when you wish to use one? Does it detect the natural pause when speaking to end a sentence?

For names or unusual spelled words can you spell out the word letter by letter and will Dragon recognize it. I see it also capitalized the word Dragon, recognizing it as a proper name, or did you add that?

Anyway, it looks like some cool software!

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Sounds interesting, except, does it recognize 1/2 sentences? My husband swears I can't complete a full sentence when speaking to him.

Is this a guy thing or what?

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
Moot and pelican, the program is supposed to recognize punctuation. But, you still need to say.,?
It has a training session, where you read short stories and it is supposed to recognize how you speak.

You can use words like next line, or next paragraph.
This is what it will do if you talk like you are talking on a telephone. I think if you had a better noise canceling microphone. It would be better that way you would not have all the background noise interfering with what the program is trying to hear as you can see it is not using any punctuation as long as I am talking so if you were in a chat room and using this program it would be great.

I am going to see if it will work for video conferencing that way I can, wife up on the Internet and just chat.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
To use the program in the truck utilize a microphone - headset for the computer with a noise cancelling or reduction mic. This will insure your voice is the predominant sound going to the program. I setup a system years ago for a blind person at an office with it and the noise around her was voices from co-workers and she was next to the copier station. At times the babbling co-workers would upset the program so a mic with one direction pickup worked great. The computer headsets are available in single ear piece or stereo. The single would work while driving but the stereo would be cause for a ticket in some places as both ears covered, you can't hear emergency buggies.

Dragon Naturally speaking can be setup to work with several programs besides office.
Rob

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
....This will insure your voice is the predominant sound going to the program. I setup a system years ago for a blind person at an office with it and the noise around her was voices from co-workers and she was next to the copier station. At times the babbling co-workers would upset the program..... Rob

What about the chattering voices in your head??? Do they interfere also?? hehehe :D

Seriously tho, sounds really COOL! Especially for those amongst us who have spelling issues. I guess it won't help much with grammar or punctuation tho, to help us write documents with proper English?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Does it censor profanity, or type whatever you say? How do you edit what you've said/typed?

guido4475

Not a Member
hello, cheri! okay, so how much is this dragon thing, and where can i find it? it sounds great to have. i appreciatte any replies to this, thanks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi, Guido! To find out what it's all about, just type "dragon naturally speaking" into your search bar, including the quotation marks - you'll get a whole bunch of links to check out.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
If you have visa home prem. on your computer, click on control panel, and then click classic view and see if their is a speech recognition program in it. There is on mine could have save 65.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I watched PBS last night and they ran an old Victor Broge skit where he did the punctuation thingy. Ahh back in the days of real humor