Soon to be newbie (hopefuly) has questions

dell1973

Expert Expediter
I am thinking of getting into the expediting field but do not want to buy my own truck or van just yet. I have an opportunity to drive for a company that is very close to my area, they are looking for someone to drive their 2004 Sprinter van and to get on with a expeditor that is taking vans. I would like to know which expediting companies are good to work for as far as vans? Also I would like to know from the veteran expeditors out their what I should ask the company with the van along with the expediting company. I have a list of questions for both but I would like some advice from the veteran expeditors out there. Any advice or tips would be greatful.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Dell,
I've got 2 huge pieces of advice for you.
1. Go to the newbies paradise forum and just start reading, digging, and absorbing. Everything that that you make mention of has been discussed in those posts. The archives of the newbies paradise forum are a gold mine.
2. Go to your area truck stops and just start talking to expedite van drivers as you come across them. You will always get the straight scoop regarding a company from the drivers. Not just 1 or 2, but talk to a nice cross section from each company.
This advice will put you way ahead of somebody researching without the EO forums.

Best of luck in your research - Scott

theend

Expert Expediter
Pay attention to what prev message said. Add this. A Fleet owner who doesn't know what the best company is?? has his vehicles and head up in the air or knows how to get your money and leave you in the air, in the long run. Watch their ads and see how many times they have a vehicle on. If it's often, why?
Drive with someone who owns a vehicle and wants a co-driver.
Let them deal with the headaches while you watch and learn.
Then, if you think you can make it, buy your own vehicle.
I wanted to drive alone and went with fleet owners. Big mistake. I'm losing everything I own and it's not much. Seen others losing, too, first hand. 1 paycheck in 9 weeks.
I first drove with someone else and got paid everytime we came home.
While driving with someone else talk to as many people out there you can. Try to figure out who is telling the truth and who isn't. If you get that figured out you're on your way. If you are as trusting as I am, stay out of it.
Questions to ask Fleet owners: How do you pay? How close do they live to you? How old are your vehicles? Are they equipped to secure loads? Do they have personal space? Do you have pictures? How many accidents has that vehicle been in? Is it under warranty? How do I deal with a breakdown in Colorado if you are in Ohio? (They're not going to give you a credit card) Which company are you signed on with? (And when they tell you start noting how often you see their comp logo on the road) Do you have ComData? (You're better off using your own cash. So do you have 3-6 months money saved up to pay your bills AND expenses on the road? If you use ComData and decide to quit they say it takes time for the bills to come in, and you're left hanging, regardless of how good your record keeping is.
Do NOT sign contracts! What's the gas mileage for the vehicle? Can you idle? (Diesel?) Does the fleet owner have references?-Don't ask the company they are leased on with. Who pays workman's comp? Who gets the fuel surcharge? What's the split?
Do you have a computer with a map/route planner on it? Do you know how to get from A to B on time? Short cuts? Do you know when to accept a load and when to turn one down? If it is 1,000 miles it sounds good until you have to deadhead 500 to 1000 miles back in to the traffic zone.
Remember this. once you get screwed it costs even more to get up and go again, and you might not be able to go again, so how much are you prepared to lose? And be sure that the loss is your own and not some family member's. My total losses are actually not mine and are $4-10,000, with my house on the line on top of the cash output.
My last thought is this: The Bible says that a man who deprives another of a day's wages is in big trouble if that deprived person cries out to the Lord. -- I am crying out to the Lord right now!
Note user name.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Best advise I can give you is get your (B) license straight trucks will keep you more busy than a van!

Teams will keep you more busy than a solo.

I'm sure somebody will step up to the plate to argue this, but its true.

Being on the road away from home is a very lonely life, and if you have a family you have less than a 50% chance you will make it.

Not to mention driving in fog,sleet,snow and being surrounded by cars who have no respect for you at all, and oh yes being broke down on the road at 3:00am looking for help, and being stuck in some of those very dangerious truck parking lots full of People looking to rip you off or worse.

Think hard, think a long time before you decide.

Mrand Mrs

Expert Expediter
I have one more thing to add...

Always keep in the back in your mind that in this business, everyone is out to make money for themselves and themselves only. They are not your friend, they are not going to do you any favors, they don't care if you make it...there will always be a constant flow of eager guys that think they can drive their butts off and make it. You can be replaced. You're not their best driver, you're not "The Man". They will tell you this but, you're not. The only way to make it is to make sure you cover your butt. Make sure you have absolutely everything in writing. If you can't get a straight answer about something, it's because that's the part where they are planning to scam you.

We've lost everything too...tryng to figure out how to keep our house...

We were raised that honesty, integrity and hard work were how you succeed, but it's really not. Not in this world anymore...

Good Luck.... Look out for #1 cuz noone else will...

theend

Expert Expediter
Another thought is that this is a business, not a job. One surprise after another. Have you ever gone to court? Ever signed a contract?
Ever done your own taxes or filed self-employment? - You are still self-employed when driving for a fleet owner. Somewhere along the line you will sign a contract.
If you sign on for a certain amount of time and begin to see the hand writing on the wall, and bail out, you will lose. Probably need a lawyer. If you stay and have to take runs you don't want and are losing your butt, you risk never seeing a penny.
Simply put, don't sign anything you can't take home and read over. If you are rushed into something it probably isn't a good deal. The problem with orientations is that they all sound good and you end up going with the flow.
Being just a driver may mean a double whammy. Because the owner puts the monies up front to get on with a company. He can't just cut his losses when you bail out. Some of the effect of that will come back on you.
Here's the scenerio: You hire on with someone. You get in the vehicle and begin waiting for a run. Well, you've waited 4 days. Where are you waiting? At home or a truck stop? How are you eating? What are you buying? Every penny spent is money you can't put in fuel for future runs. Are you so anxious that you aren't sleeping?
You get your first run and the deadhead to the pickup is as long as the run is. Do you take it? Man, you've been waiting 4 days and here you have 'something'. Well, okay, I'll take this one. Don't want them to think I'm a wimp.
It happens again and again. You start asking questions of other drivers and they say "No way!"
Okay, I'll turn down a short run and wait for a long one with less DH. It's another 2-4 days before you get one.
The 1st run was 200 miles with an extra 75 for dh. On a 60/40 split, your part being 60 inc fuel, you figure you made $120 minus your expenditures. The 2nd run is 500 miles. You make $300 minus expenditures. -Don't forget fuel for idling if you can idle.
Where did you end up? There are some places loads never come out of regardless which company you sign on with. So you have to dh to another location. That fuel comes out of your pocket.
If you're lucky you won't wait long.
Your first paycheck is 3-4 weeks in coming.
In 2 weeks you had 5 runs: 100, 150, 200, 500, and 100 = 1,500 miles (In 2 months I haven't been that lucky). Figure your math to see how much fuel you needed for that. Then you sat for 5 days or more of that time and had to eat. Cover dead head miles or whatever else you chose to do while waiting. Did you buy a book, something for the vehicle, soda?
1500 X .60 = 900 - 5 meals, soda's, fuel for runs, fuel for dh's, laundry, showers.
But, the next 2 weeks are even slower. And you haven't seen that 900 yet. You're also not in your own vehicle and have someone else worrying about what you're doing.
--If you're in your own vehicle and have a savings acct, this first part won't be so bothersome for you. It will get that way if it keeps repeating itself, though. After all, you're out there to make money.
You've been out there 2 months, are getting accustomed to being totally by yourself. Something happens at home and you can't go home. What do you do? How important is it to you? How important is it to your family that you come home? Remember, in a workplace only deaths of immediate family members merit a 3 day leave. But, you're 1000 miles away and that cuts into your time already. You can't leave the vehicle and while you're out of service nothing's coming in for the owner, either.
Of that 1500, the owner has made 600. After his part of the expenses what kind of a profit has he made?
And you think, "I'm going home for this!" But, no sooner have you decided to go home than a really good run offer comes to you, say 1500 miles, and all that is loaded so you can't stop, but it's also going that much farther away from home. You definitely can't dh home after that. But, it is going to a good location where runs come out of. So, you shouldn't even have to wait long for another load.
Well, that aside, let's go on to paying bills. Are you using a cell phone? When is the due date on that? You might have cleared 450 for the first week. Less for the 2nd. Can you make a house pymt, electric, phone, water, etc.?
The upside of all this is that you do get to see the country, meet interesting people, store up memories, and test your skill, drive to your heart's content.
If you really want to do this, build up a savings acct. Try to get your own van. Make sure it has E-tracks and tie down ropes, both small and big, bungie straps, enough room for you to be comfortable when you're under a long haul and need to sleep. Have 2-3 months bills paid up front. Have a camera. A good mapping system. Learn a lot about finances, that comes to you free of charge on this site. Know your DOT regulations. Know your own strengths and weaknesses. Never let yourself get Bound to this job. (It only becomes a prison if you've signed a contract with some sort of a time arrangement, or you aren't totally free to make your own decisions.) Know you can give it up anytime. Have some way to prevent boredom during wait times, besides sleeping. Get plenty of sleep.
2 months, 2 years, or a lifetime, this is an enjoyable job under the right circumstances.
You should have enough here now to be able to ask some good questions of others. And for others to tack on stuff I haven't thought about right now. Or to clear up what I said that doesn't sound quite clear.
I pray for every truck driver, regardless of their equip, for their safety and their families. I pray for every factory worker that they keep their jobs.

garman351

Expert Expediter
Theend, good stuff (Wow)

Yes its all true, never deadhead 200 miles to pick-up a load that is the next day only going 250 miles etc,than to deadhead out of that bad area a 100 mile or so.

What has just happened?

You wasted a whole day of work waiting for that load the next day, and after all the deadheading etc = No pay and even worse all the wear & tare of the equipment.

Ask questions all the time from fellow drivers where & where not to go!

Never beleive in what dispatchers tell you, they get paid by comission and will tell you anything to take that load, here is the best part they will lie to you and tell you, "If you do me this favor I will help you out next time." In the first place their is no favoritism its un ethical. Its your business to run!

Good luck, find something better to do this business is not for everybody. Remember at least 80% fail with-in six months after orintation, for many reasons especially if you have no idea on being a business man running your own company.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
this all good advice and way it has been told is way it is
go drive for waste management let them pay for the fuel

dell1973

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the information I went ahead and got my class B CDLs, I am still reading through all the post in the newbie section and finding out quite a bit of information. At this point I still have not made up my mind, but I might be leaning to a straight truck and might have a person to team up with. Neither of us are married so nothing holding us back.

Fireball Run

Expert Expediter
I agree with the other posters. After the split of funds, there's not much for you to run on and meet your own obligation at home. My advise is to get your own van. I started in this business driving for an owner and he ripped me off. It's the story that I've heard from many others driving for someonelse. Granted there are some good owners out there but you can make a better living in your own vehical. Sign on with a larger carrier. Stay away from All Types Exp. There out of the Ft. Wayne area.(Crooks) There are a lot of us out here so talk to as many drivers from as many carries as you can. Also do the research here on EO for a good carrier. Beware that some of the advise you'll get from drivers is a bunch of bull so use your own common sence to deside what sounds reasonable. And last but not least, its a lot of luck being in the right place at the right time to get the load. If and when you start keep track of when and where you get a load. Its the best way to know where to sit and wait for the next one. It will take some time to get a good feel for where you need to layover. Good Luck and be Safe.

theend

Expert Expediter
Sorry Fireball, I was hesitant to mention names. All Types is not going to be around long. Simply because people come here to check things out, eventually. Hopefully, sooner than later.
Other companies are okay, but not so good at getting you good runs, so you get to congregate at the local FJ for a week at a time. Know the FJ Family as your very own.
Where did I see the article about the trucks in Iowa getting robbed? Driver's were watched for their routine, and when they would go in for dinner, they lost valuables. Sitting ducks.
You want a company that keeps you moving. But not one that keeps you moving then takes everything you think you're going to be paid.
Between a rock and a hard place.
Let the weather determine where you will sit.