Solo or Teamed?

bolter82

Expert Expediter
Just making some good conversation for people who want to get into expediting but would prefer solo...

Whats your opinion?

(Im solo but not by choice)

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I would prefer to go solo. I like my space my truck or my van is my home and i like things a certain way!! i don't feel like going down the road trying to sleep hitting all of the pot holes and maybe the radio blasting trying to sleep!!! speaking of a second driver how do you know they will take care of your vehicle???

bolter82

Expert Expediter
Its all about trust. I prefer to make money, and solo in expediting...is not easy. Especially with the company Im with now who has had me sitting since the 22nd....in Alabama.

TDave

Expert Expediter
I don't mind going solo sometimes I would prefer that but the way the industry is more money into teaming for myself and my owner. At least with my carrier as an IC

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Have you guys really looked at the difference in profitability between solo and team and compared the lifestyle? Is it a $5k yearly difference for each individual where it might be worth it for some to solo?

TDave

Expert Expediter
Have you guys really looked at the difference in profitability between solo and team and compared the lifestyle? Is it a $5k yearly difference for each individual where it might be worth it for some to solo?

Depends on what unit your in I guess for me in a straight its more beneficial to me to team and also my owner if I team. Depends on your financial well being and your personality.

Reactions: gotto_03801

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Depends on what unit your in I guess for me in a straight its more beneficial to me to team and also my owner if I team. Depends on your financial well being and your personality.

That makes sense. I didn't know if anyone had figures. For instance if as a solo you can earn $35k or you team and make $40k it seems like going solo might be worth the $5k for comfort and the ability to sleep without bouncing down the road. If it's a $15k difference then that could be a different story.

TDave

Expert Expediter
That makes sense. I didn't know if anyone had figures. For instance if as a solo you can earn $35k or you team and make $40k it seems like going solo might be worth the $5k for comfort and the ability to sleep without bouncing down the road. If it's a $15k difference then that could be a different story.

I see what your saying now, yeah that little bit of a difference I would just go solo too but to be honest I would think it would be closer to the 15k per year. When I go solo out with my current owner I make anywhere from 150 to 300 less per week than if I team. Doesn't sound like a whole lot but when you add that up for lets say 45 weeks that's 9000 per year. (Averaging 200 a week)

When I was looking into being an owner with added responsibility with paying other driver and all maintenance costs I couldn't see how it would be profitable to have a solo straight truck especially early on. The profit doesn't seem to be worth it. This is just an opinion of course and everyone has different goals.

How do current fleet owners think about solos either in a straight , tractor or van?

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
So I decided to just comment on this instead of making a new post. When people post yearly wage figures like 35k a year, 40k a year, etc, is that before taxes and health insurance?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So I decided to just comment on this instead of making a new post. When people post yearly wage figures like 35k a year, 40k a year, etc, is that before taxes and health insurance?
That would be a good assumption. I think most people talk gross income, not net.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Solo. With this and previous carrier Solo no doubt about it. Being I refuse to move from one parking lot to the next, most of the time I'm just heading home when they fail to load the truck. Running 99.9% auto freight, no reason to venture far enough to require teams. Cost to much to get back into their area.
When I ask teams why they run the same freight I do, they always say its better then nothing. But the more ya talk to them the more ya understand they just made nothing by the time they split the pay. (Same household teams is different story)
Teams running the same freight I am running rarely get loaded any faster, then the solos do.
(Disclaimer: Only Speaking about the 2 carriers I have ran for. Really can't say I ran across any teams with these 2 carriers that say its consistently team freight.)

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its all about trust. I prefer to make money, and solo in expediting...is not easy. Especially with the company Im with now who has had me sitting since the 22nd....in Alabama.
I understand this post is kind of old that I'm quoting but if you're sitting that long, it is just as much your fault as it is there's. I would not of stayed in Alabama that long to begin with! I'm assuming as your title says under your name you're a seasoned expediter so you should know well enough not to be sitting there that long, you should've deadheaded somewhere else to a better freight area. Imho. Cheers!