Solo or team?

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
OK. I have drove solo and enjoy the peace and quite, but I have a friend and both of us are thinking about teaming up with one another.

To us it is all about the money. Now, we are leaning on going team with Express-1, or Tri-State.

So we want some input from you vet drivers. Can we really make more money if we team or are we better going solo. We are talking about money only here. We know all the other BS we have to get use to and put up with from each other - so we only are wanting input on the money aspect from people who have done both.

Thanks!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've only driven solo so I can't give you numbers both ways from experience. I can say that whenever Terry or anyone else posts FX numbers the teams are usually making around 1.8-1.9 times what the solos are making. I believe teaming is the way to go for h/w but not for 2 unrelated people putting money into two separate pots.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Chuckwagon,
I have to say: If your friendship means anything, the little extra money is not worth it.
I drive team now and have driven solo. The money is not that great a difference.
I always keep my business and friendships seperate!
Just my opinion.
Laura

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I teamed with my best friend Brenda. The advantage of teaming is that you qualify for all the great long runs that would never be offered to you as a solo.

If a solo were to get consistent miles similar to a team, the solo driver would make more money. The team operation works best with members of the same household who share their income.

You think because you are a team that you will have unlimited miles. This is expediting. You will not be driving twice the miles as a team. And when you aren't driving, you will be sharing your closet-sized sleeper with you partner. And when you are driving, with the HOS rules, you will get tired of being in the sleeper for 10 hours, and instead, ride up front with the driver and not get the sleep you need to take over on your shift.

But, I could be wrong.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I am being told by a few drivers that even though this is expediting we would still get more miles and longer runs.

I really do not know what to believe.

I am being told by several companies that teams get about 3600 miles per week. If that is true I figure that would be in the area of 1,200-1,500 dollars per week (including of course FSc).

Am I off here - more thoughts on team or solo.

Thanks everyone!

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here are he figures posted by Terry. Published by Fedex Custom Critical.

SINGLE TEAM

B $41,971.70 $56,002.46

C $60,625.84 $102,504.94

D $72,502.78 $121,368.09

E $101,024.85 $162,412.91

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
FedEx Custom Critical's annual revenue statistics for the years 2002-2004 indicate that their fleet average for trucks where there were two people in a truck for at least 60% of the loads are as follows.

A team in a van will earn 33% more than a solo,
A team in a C truck will earn 69% more than a solo,
A team in a D truck wil earn 67% more than a solo,
A team in an E truck will earn 60% more than a solo.

I suspect that other carriers' figures are comparable and their recruiters should be able to give you their fleet averages for a more informed decision.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I am being told by a few drivers that even though this is
>expediting we would still get more miles and longer runs.
>

You will get more miles and you will get longer runs. The pertinent and really only question is will you get at least 2.01 times the amount a solo gets? I seriously doubt it to the point of betting 99.97% against it. Just like the one in a million h/w teams who will accumulate a million dollars in 20 years doing this you might be the one in a million team who makes more than two solos but those are pretty slim odds.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Sometimes things are obvious and sometimes not.
For those who didn't understand, this is dealing with drivers splitting 50-50 as a team.
If you own your own truck and hire a team driver I believe you will make more money than solo driving. Does any one have current figures on this comparison? I don't. Thanks.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
An example:

A solo in a D truck earns $1000 while a team earning 67% more gets $1670. If the team truck owner gives his co-driver the typical 20%, or $334, the owner will have the remainder, $1336. The team will also have driven 67% more miles and pay 67% more for fuel and also have a percentage more in repair costs. Now the question is, will that extra $336 dollars cover the extra costs?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
october 2006 I ran single,my gross income was just under $9000.00,for 5700 miles,if i were to pay a driver running single,30%,he would of made just about 2700 bucks,that was for 3 weeks and 2 days.

in noveember of 2006,running team,my gross was $22670.00,for the same amount of time,but my miles were just a little over 13000
my co-driver made over $4000,for month.

december,figures were even better,and we were home from the 22nd til end of year

a single can get lucky,i did have a 14000 month running solo.if i could make that consistant,I'd say run single,but you wont do this consistantly,then maybe you don't need much money,to live on

oldmanrandy

Seasoned Expediter
greetings:
I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot trying to decide on either OTR or expeditor.
Question for Nightcreacher: Is the picture on your reply your rig.
As I understand, in the expeditor world this would be a Class E.
Are your monthly numbers because you are bigger than most. Or is size not the question here.
Also, if yours is a combination rig,what makes you an expeditor and not an OTR

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Randy

My tractor trailer is an E unit,it is used over the road,but exclusively hauls expedite freight
most of the reason my numbers are so good,is I've been doing expedite for 23 years
being profitable in expedite is like playing pool,it's not so much the shot in front of you,but what happens after you deliver,put yourself in a bad position,you will loose your turn.
otherwise,if you end up in an express center that has more loads in than out,you probably shouldnt have taken that load.