So you think you can drive on ice

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I bet if ya check the salvage yards there will be lots of used apu's available!
And yea mr. Estes was going way to fast!

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
The guy stopped in the middle of the road taking video really upsets me. I understand he stopped because the road was blocked, but then he drives off without verifying the driver is ok, and when he turns around to drive the road is now unblocked. His concern with capturing video nearly cost him his life...

Deville

Not a Member
The guy stopped in the middle of the road taking video really upsets me. I understand he stopped because the road was blocked, but then he drives off without verifying the driver is ok, and when he turns around to drive the road is now unblocked. His concern with capturing video nearly cost him his life...

The article in the NY Daily News the driver who took the video stated he pulled over to a safe location, called 911, verified the drivers were ok and when the NJST arrived they sent him on his way.

What I found more scary was how the truck went over the road divider like it was nothing more than a speed bump.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Drive on ice? Not me, I am not that crazy. It is flat dangerous. When roads are ice it's time to park and sleep.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One place where ice belongs.

Of course, once you enjoy this, you don't belong on the road. So if the roads are icy, stay off the road and enjoy a nice scotch :) *

*Advice not applicable if illegal or otherwise unsuited to your well-being.

Attachments

• 1421799568973.jpg
    1421799568973.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 14

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So if the roads are icy, stay off the road and enjoy a nice scotch :) *

mA-sP8hycndD_oHmaLEWy_A.jpg

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Here is my response on a long discussion about this on a FB trucking page where most were bashing the guy for driving off.

"After watching the video a couple times, I think I would of done the same as the person who was filming. It was slick no doubt, the truck was going too fast, no doubt. If the car had moved there is no guarantee he wouldn't of been hit still, notice the truck was in the slow lane before he went out of control, where it was going after that was unknown.

Getting out of your vehicle in a pile up or potential pile up is about the worst thing you can do unless on fire, wait for the dust to settle then get the heck away.

FIRST rule of rescue is not making the situation worse, parking in the fast lane and jumping the barrier would likely resulted in another chain reaction.

Notice too that the back trailer was hit again right at the end of the video from a vehicle on the crashed truck side, it wasn't safe to be anywhere near the crash. The truck driver was moving and exiting the cab as the videographer started to leave.

Best thing if he did want to help would of been get out of traffic, BUT that is also a crap shoot as slick as it was. I think best thing is to call 911 and get out of harms way yourself and unless trained as an EMT is about the best you could do and that may even prevent further collisions by removing yourself and vehicle from the situation.

We can armchair quarterback this all we want, BUT I think the guy filming remained calm and did the rational thing, maybe not the emotional thing some would like, but I think a logical controlled thought out response. No one got hurt, at least severely it appears AND for the rest of us it is a learning moment, think about what you would do and why and what would be the results of your actions."

The following are additional comments AFTER watching the video again AND reading the comments: The guy says he did call 911 and checked on the driver, we just don't see that in the film.

Just yesterday a driver was hit and killed in a multiple vehicle pileup on the Oregon/Idaho border AFTER surviving the crash and exiting his vehicle, may he RIP.

The thing that always concerns me when arriving at stopped traffic is am I going to get hit and become a casualty even though I did everything correctly? You cant be too aware of what is going on at all times, slowing down and leaving more following distance is one of the best defenses you can have, especially in bad weather or heavy traffic. Obviously the Estes driver didn't do that AND I honestly believe once he went into a skid he was just holding on for the ride, maybe there was some driving skill in crossing the barrier, but I think it was just more luck than anything that he didn't lay the truck over.

TS