So Long

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'm no logistics expert, but it would seem to me it would be more practical and cheaper to send out another batch of QCs next day UPS than to pay drivers $100 a day to sit. The originally shipped QCs could be sent back to Pantherville via slow boat, when and if they ever arrive.

Maybe they sent them all out to the same location? ;)

wwgx90

Rookie Expediter
When I got the "new and improved" QC, I thought the thing would not work until I found out it will not show you the trip info on the screen while you are moving! Mine works when it wants too, glad I have email available.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you are a team you may be able to have your partner look while moving.

A solo shouldn't be looking at electronic devices in a moving vehicle. Even if you're not in a commercial vehicle the liability issues are similar.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I just got a call from Panther. My old friend won't be replaced today and probably not tomorrow either. Instead of sending my QC UPS Next Day, somebody shipped it standard ground. I sometimes question Panther's claims to be a leader in expedite and global logistics when they can't send a package via UPS part way across the country without screwing it up. At least they are paying me $100 a day while I'm down.

The reason yours is being changed is because it looks like you have an Qmnitracs, which QualCom is turning off the use of those QC units 3/1/15. The Omnitracs also cost more to use than the newer one your getting which will be the MCP50 unit if your a van or Sprinter.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm paying $35/week for a QC that doesn't even work, but it still makes for a nice wheel chock. Love that curly tether.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I still don't understand why we the o/o's have to pay for this device in our trucks. It's great for our carriers, but not DOT required (yet). The carrier should pay for it.

sent from my Galaxy S3

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I still don't understand why we the o/o's have to pay for this device in our trucks. It's great for our carriers, but not DOT required (yet). The carrier should pay for it.

sent from my Galaxy S3

When your an independent contractor companies in general may not provide tools for you to do your job with. In most cases doing so opens them up to being charged with misclassification of io's. There are exceptions but providing the device at no charge could place them on thin ice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
When your an independent contractor companies in general may not provide tools for you to do your job with. In most cases doing so opens them up to being charged with misclassification of io's. There are exceptions but providing the device at no charge could place them on thin ice.

I don't need a QC to do my job, it's beneficial to the carrier and shipper.

sent from my Galaxy S3

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I personally find it beneficial to me as a driver but I'm sure that's debatable for many people.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I personally find it beneficial to me as a driver but I'm sure that's debatable for many people.
I find it beneficial also, but maybe not a benefit that costs $35/week. I don't feel the carriers should be making a profit off QC leasing. $20/week would seem more equitable.

The QC certainly is more convenient and time saving compared to phoning in load information and location updates. My QC quit on me sometime Saturday night or early Sunday morning. I got a call Sunday morning for a load. I accepted it and said send it over. It never came over the QC. I had to call back to get all of the load info. After I was loaded I called in both my arrival time and the B.O.L. info. I wasn't required to call in my location every 2 hours, but they do require that of outside carriers.

I called again Monday morning after delivering with my P.O.D. info. I was told I couldn't go back into service until I got the QC fixed. I talked to the QC guy who said he could get a new unit delivered the next day. I was about 130 miles from my house which would put me about 10 miles from an authorized QC installer. I set up an appointment for Tuesday afternoon and drove home. So at least I am at home and getting a paid mini vacation.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Did that 18 grand come with stock options? Geez that unit can't cost more than 100 to build and 5 buck a month for service I say ripoff!

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I talked to a o/o last week that told me he had bought his own unit for $800 and monthly cost was only $49.

sent from my Galaxy S3

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Several years ago I looked into getting units for my 'fleet'. At that time the purchase price was upwards of a couple thousand dollars for brand new systems. The usage fee was just under $15 per week not $35 per week. I don't know but I suspect if you have 1000 units there might be some extra discounts.

Now, the carrier is fronting the purchase and repairs so that has to factor in. The carrier is also getting many many years of payments from the trucks using the units. The carrier is also getting some sort of write off, if they have decent accountants.

So, $35 a week is definitely a rip off. Landstar charged $25 a week. Still too high but less usurious. If a carrier wanted to treat their "partners" fairly they'd set up a sliding scale starting at $20 a week for a year followed by $15 a week in year two, $10 a week in year three, $5 a week in year four, and no charge from year five onward as long as that truck stayed in the fleet. They'd recover over half the cost of each unit in the first year a truck was signed on. By the end of the second year the unit would be paid for. In years 3 and 4 they'd put $780 away toward any potential repairs or other expenses. They wouldn't get rich from qc's like they are now but combined with their write offs they make a little money.

And just how far would it go toward morale and positive impressions of the carrier compared to all the $35 rip offs?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Qualcom is an extra Cash Cow for them .....200 units x $ 15. (extra over what they're charged ) .. x 52 weeks...hmmm ...and we get hot dogs for driver appreciation week ......lol

sent from my mobile apple cart

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A picture from the Christian Scientist Futuristic Revised Old Testament; Noah loading his flying saucer before the Lord sends a wave.
d441bd13-a356-4fee-a4ac-c6052dd8dec6_zps2a09c220.jpg

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I find it beneficial also, but maybe not a benefit that costs $35/week. I don't feel the carriers should be making a profit off QC leasing. $20/week would seem more equitable. The QC certainly is more convenient and time saving compared to phoning in load information and location updates. My QC quit on me sometime Saturday night or early Sunday morning. I got a call Sunday morning for a load. I accepted it and said send it over. It never came over the QC. I had to call back to get all of the load info. After I was loaded I called in both my arrival time and the B.O.L. info. I wasn't required to call in my location every 2 hours, but they do require that of outside carriers. I called again Monday morning after delivering with my P.O.D. info. I was told I couldn't go back into service until I got the QC fixed. I talked to the QC guy who said he could get a new unit delivered the next day. I was about 130 miles from my house which would put me about 10 miles from an authorized QC installer. I set up an appointment for Tuesday afternoon and drove home. So at least I am at home and getting a paid mini vacation.
outside carriers can just enter in all the info right on the website as long as you keep it updated they don't bother you with calls. why don't they do the same with the company drivers? everything is on there accept load, in and out times, POD all you really need is a smart phone or laptop to access the website.