So, How's Business?

Road Dog

Expert Expediter
I've got approval for my truck financing, and approval from Panther II. Before I make the jump I gotta ask.... How's Business out there? I haven't seen too many posts of late complaining about the lack of loads. Maybe everyone's too busy out there running to make posts? Anyway, I have no idea.....so maybe someone could fill me in?

Thanks!

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I hope your buying a used truck and have low payments. I can't tell you how business is now because I lost my truck a couple months ago. Not enough business out there. If your teaming it you might be alright. As for working with panther II, on my last week on the road, me and a panther II truck sat near memphis for a week for a load. I finally got a load and they went home with no money for that week. Unless you have driven for someone out there and know what your getting yourself into, I would strongly urge you to not buy that truck. If you look at all the expedite companies, looks like they are moving toward tractor/trailer operations and less straight truck. If you really like over the road driving, I would suggest you get your class A license and drive for the big boys. I did it before going expediting. But if you really look at what you will make on both sides, you can work locally and still make the same amount. Good luck on your decision and hope it turns out for you. I just went through my bankruptcy hearing yesterday. Allot of ex owner/operators going through it.
Randy:-(

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you look back over the previous postings, you will notice a couple of trends. First, most expeditors make their money in spurts. It is a feast or famine industry. Right now things are busy but will slow for the summer and then pick up in the fall until Christmas. Then it will die again for a couple of months. Secondly, most of the drivers are making less money this year than they did last year; and made less money last year than the year prior.

I have been out looking around for a newer truck and there is no shortage of repo's at the dealers. (Another sign of how things are going.)

If one of my adult sons told me he wanted to get into the expediting business, I would suggest that he take his money and go to Reno; the odds of success are a lot better there at this time.

Unless I misunderstand what is happening, there will be a lot more
ex-expeditors by the end of this year.

If you really want to see what is happening - sign on with an owner and drive his truck; putting your money in the bank until the outlook is brighter.

Be safe.

Road Dog

Expert Expediter
Thanks for being straight-forward. I strongly desire to be my own boss, BUT I don't want to be foolish about it. It looks like I may just start looking for another place to invest my hard earned cash. Just for fun....I make about $50K driving locally for a contractor. The work requires that I unload the truck by hand, so that's why it pays so much for a class B driving job. Anyway, after expenses (making moderate money) could I expect to pull out about the same$$ ?

Thanks again guys!

;-)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
50K is a good yearly amount to pull down. If you go out and over the road you will be making far less than that. I beleive you made the right chioce in doing the local thing.

1bushmaster

Expert Expediter
WOW! That reply raised the hair on my neck. You said a Panther waited a week for a load out of Memphis? Had to be a newbie, or a masochist, or independently wealthy. Anybody who would sit in Memphis doesn't know what they're doing. Memphis is a dead zone. If you deliver there, you should only wait until about 10pm, then move overnight, get out of there!

bojangles1

Expert Expediter
If your making 50k now driving for someone else, stay where your at. You won't net that mich owning your own truck. I've been expediting for 11 years with my own truck and I am looking for a way out.

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Does this mean that I should keep my 40k a year and 4 day work week? You guys make it sound like a starvation industry.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi JW
Will you answer the question if I ask it?
What is it that you do 4 days a week for that 40K?

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Well, I deliver to company stores. Arriving at most of them before they open, I do have to unload, but it's usually just a pallet or two. I deliver 11 stores a day, and usually put in 13 or 14 hours. The only thing I dislike is the extreme boredom, my day is exactly the same every day, no variety.

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Oh, incidentally Teacel, I my last stop is Pitt, and one day a week I pick up from a vendor in your neighborhood, over at Star Stainless.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Mr. Road Dog
Let me suggest to you, that, you have not lived "boredom"
until there is "no freight" (or whatever else is going on)
and you sit in a wunnerful location without facilities, in
90+ degree heat for 2-3 days, waiting for that carrot.