So how much does that load pay?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
"... margin of error over 52 weeks?" I think you are more of a numbers guy than you let on.

You may not work spreadsheets like some expediters do but your financial instincts are clearly present and they work to produce your stated result. If that was not true, every expediter who is not a "numbers person" and did one's thing would end up with money in his or her pocket. In fact, those who pay little attention to the numbers and do their own thing are the ones that wash out.

Whether you are working a spreadsheet or not, financial reality applies. Those who do not align with it fail.
You got me there...I used to do the spreadsheet thing...many, many years ago....my numbers are in my head I guess you could say....I know the fuel costs for sure, repairs and such, experience has taught me places to avoid and when I should I ask for a few bucks more because of the odds I might have to drive out a little ways...an extra $20.00 is actually more in a CV/Sprinter...and 20 here and 20 there adds up to adjust overall per mile pay "numbers". And I not immune to asking for the accessory charges..I know some people blow them off at times as trivial....if the customer owes me 15 minutes I want it....thats my time! I don't run a welfare organization here....its business....
Bigger carriers have successfully in the name of competition literally given us away...and just slashed our cost of service. can you imagine a straight truck load on a Sprinter type van for the cost of a cargo van?.....Doesn't make sense.

schwanman

Expert Expediter
I think Dave hit the nail on the head. No matter how the company pays at the end of the year they work out to about the same per mile. Otherwise everyone would work for one company. While doing your taxes you can look at the variable expenses and see exactly where you can make more.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Dave hit the nail on the head. No matter how the company pays at the end of the year they work out to about the same per mile. Otherwise everyone would work for one company. While doing your taxes you can look at the variable expenses and see exactly where you can make more.
The single biggest burden and expense....the carriers portion....:p

Reactions: tknight

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Had a short load under 200 miles, contract rate is $150 plus d/h. They gave me the actual email with what they paid to our company. I made $166, they made $270 for 120 miles (I did the work). Found where a lot of your nickles went, OVM.

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally for me it's NEVER been about making a buttload of cash, simply steady work, steady income, be my own boss & work my pace when I want. To date this job has been subpar at best, no worse or better (financially) then my last career choice but the overall bigger difference between the two is my last job I was killing my body, it was a very physical, labor intense job that had me in the elements I.E.- snow, sleet, rain, scorching sun and dealing with 100's of pounds of equipment up n down concrete steps n residential, commercial buildings etc. I worked on call, all hrs thru out the day and night being woke out of a dead sleep called to a job site 5 degrees out and in those elements for hours before returning home. That job beat me physically and my family, home life suffered. Now, I am away more, however my bond and quality of time with my family seems to have had a lift, it's deeper, closer than its ever been. I miss them ALOT!!! But it seems overall, my health, attitude, family bond has all been lifted in a positive direction since starting this new career. That's not to say everyone will feel or notice the same as I have? Just my two cents.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Personally for me it's NEVER been about making a buttload of cash, simply steady work, steady income, be my own boss & work my pace when I want. To date this job has been subpar at best, no worse or better (financially) then my last career choice but the overall bigger difference between the two is my last job I was killing my body, it was a very physical, labor intense job that had me in the elements I.E.- snow, sleet, rain, scorching sun and dealing with 100's of pounds of equipment up n down concrete steps n residential, commercial buildings etc. I worked on call, all hrs thru out the day and night being woke out of a dead sleep called to a job site 5 degrees out and in those elements for hours before returning home. That job beat me physically and my family, home life suffered. Now, I am away more, however my bond and quality of time with my family seems to have had a lift, it's deeper, closer than its ever been. I miss them ALOT!!! But it seems overall, my health, attitude, family bond has all been lifted in a positive direction since starting this new career. That's not to say everyone will feel or notice the same as I have? Just my two cents.

I believed many of us felt the same way.
Good post and thank you for sharing.

From my experiences, being away from home and family have given me ample opportunities to reflect on my own relationships with my family. On the road, I had plenty of time to think and evaluate the situations without interference. I can see things more clearly from the distance.

Sometimes, you don't really know how much you love them until you missed them. What a spiritual awakening!

Interestingly, unintended consequence of the expediting lifestyles can help you achieve the spiritual enlightenment.

Lol.....