snap shot

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
Found out from cat today how to take a snap shot of what is going on with the 3126 motor.

When you are having a problem, you turn off the cruise control then push the set button for 2 sec. then rock it down to resume untill the check lite comes on. This will take a reading 3 sec. before and 10 sec. after the lite came on. And the dealer can pull it and see what was happening. This is on a 3126cat

that good to know because I have one of those problems that only happen when I am alone at night going north. NOT when it is in the shop!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Good advice, Cummins also has a switch that you hold down and turn the key on, it blinks out codes.

Don't you have a manual for your engine, you know an owners/operators manual. I thought Cat was like Cummins, you can get one online?

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
I have a book, but this is for making the computer store a reading of what is going on at the time it is having a problem. Like oil pressure,water temp.,fuel pressure, even if it has not triped a code.

Like mine is blowing out white smoke put on a new turbo ( the old one was bad) still does it,was told be cat to take a snap shot when it happens then they can see what is going on.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
if it is white, it means that there is not enough heat in the cylinder to complete combustion. I had an ISB Cummins that had this problem and it turned out to be rings, there wasn't enough pressure to get the air hot enough to burn the fuel.

What the mechanic should have done maybe before replacing the turbo is to do a balance test on the engine, have the ECM turn off the injectors to each cylinder to find where it is coming from. Maybe Piper can chime with a correction?