Small Fleet Owner

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How does a aspiring small fleet owner get started without being a truck operator?

Depends on how much that small fleet owner has in his pocket.

If its not a lot, he usually buys a 2006 Sprinter and hits the road for a year or two then adds another truck. :) :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Finding and hiring someone who is. Not a endeavor to jump into unless you have some type of background in this business. Odds of success would be much better in Vegas. Kind of like opening a restaurant and not knowing the first thing about cooking.
As suggested, I would drive the vehicle you want in your fleet for awhile to learn the business and associated costs.

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Finding and hiring someone who is. Not a business to jump into unless you have some type of background in this business. Odds of success would be much better in Vegas. Kind of like opening a restaurant and not knowing the first thing about cooking.

I think I'll switch over to the restaurant industry one day... ;)

kastmgmt

Not a Member
I don't recall saying I was gonna jump into anything. I just asked, I will be asking alot of questions just because I'm curious.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
How does a aspiring small fleet owner get started without being a truck operator?

To answer your question, I guess figure out what you want the small fleet to do. Then go buy the small fleet.
Do you want to haul freight, rocks, grocery's, redi-mix, Autos, coils?? Its endless what you you can do with a fleet of trucks. Big or small.

Dump trucks are doing well right now with all the shovel ready projects we have going on in this country..

Last edited:

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Well I have otr experience, just not as an oo. I've been contemplating buying a truck and in the future adding more trucks, but listening to everyone else buying even one truck would be a bad idea.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Well I have otr experience, just not as an oo. I've been contemplating buying a truck and in the future adding more trucks, but listening to everyone else buying even one truck would be a bad idea.

Again not necessarily. Think about this for a min.. Your asking questions on the Internet to a group of ppl that for the most part think our little world is flooded with trucks now. And that very well maybe the case to many of us for the amount of work we have. When I first read your post I thought I read no experience.. After rereading twice and seeing you have OTR experience that tells me you know something about it.
So back to the this thinking thing...Without knowing you, Would I want to see you bring 5,trucks to where I work? Properly not.. If and when I know you would I want to see that and would I help you in anyway I can..More then likely. Its a chance you gotta take..
1 truck? Jump in and try it. for awhile.
A Fleet? Head to Vegas first and if your feeling lucky, go from there. :D

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm $1/2 million into this fleet owner game so far. I still think I'm a small fleet owner, but man does it feel big at times.

Half a million in this game could mean 3 brand new Freightliner cascadia's or 50 2006 Sprinter vans with over 200,000 miles. ;)

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Put a 53 footer on the Eisenhower interstate highway system and you should be ok with coast to coast coverage. Everybody wants a 53, its like the automatic word in this industry. Back hauls you name it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Put a 53 footer on the Eisenhower interstate highway system and you should be ok with coast to coast coverage. Everybody wants a 53, its like the automatic word in this industry. Back hauls you name it.

The only real back haul is you butt being hauled back cause you went belly up! Good luck!
Like any venture there is always someone willing to cut your price and your throat!

kastmgmt

Not a Member
I'm don't wanna drive a 53 I'm worried I'll jacknife.Slo-Ride was right about newbies entering this business. So my question is, what is a good business venture outside trucking to get into??

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
I'm don't wanna drive a 53 I'm worried I'll jacknife.Slo-Ride was right about newbies entering this business. So my question is, what is a good business venture outside trucking to get into??

A medical marijuana dispensary. Join the "green rush"