Slope

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We cannot get away from parking spots that are on a slope. It seems as if in the past month every parking spot we have found has a noticeable slope. This sure does not make for a very restful night of sleep. It is getting bad enough I believe we are sleeping better while under a load going down the road. Of course we might also be sleeping better going down the road as we are making money!
Does this drive anyone else nuts and ruin your sleep?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
There isn't a parking space anywhere that is perfectly level,but we try to keep the lean to a minimum and always keep the head of the bed on the uphill side. DD.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I love it if the head of the bed is uphill. I have a hiatal hernia and sleep in a recliner at the house so sloped lots are my favorite. Now, if it's sloped front to back I put the back on the higher side and dump the rear air. If I'm sleeping while making money I'm in trouble.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a level from Camping World, that helps me judge a good spot.

Attachments

• Camping World Level.jpg
    Camping World Level.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I thought Leo's idea of dumping the air bags would work perfect for us till I remembered that as soon as you turn the key off the bags fill back up. The level sounds like a good idea also and will work for us I believe. It seems as if we do not realize how bad the slope is towards the front of the truck till about 3 in the morning then who wants to get up and turn the truck around.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I thought Leo's idea of dumping the air bags would work perfect for us till I remembered that as soon as you turn the key off the bags fill back up. The level sounds like a good idea also and will work for us I believe. It seems as if we do not realize how bad the slope is towards the front of the truck till about 3 in the morning then who wants to get up and turn the truck around.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You don't have a dash switch to dump the air? Mine is a toggle and until I flip it back down the air is out regardless of the key.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yes we have a dash switch but it is tied into the key, turn off the key and the bags fill back up with air. Not a very good system as far as I am concerned.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That sounds like a stupid system. Then again, maybe there's a very good reason for it to be that way and I'm stupid and can't see it. In any event, I'm glad mine works the way it does. It would be a nuisance but you could carry a couple of 2x6's and drive the low side wheels up on them I guess although that might not be good for the frame unless it was front or back so I don't know for sure.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We have the same setup on our truck. The key must remain on for the air bags to remain deflated. We also think it is a stupid system. I am sure there is a reason the system was designed to do this, but I have yet to figure out what it is.

Two solutions:

1. Pump or drain all the air out of the air tanks after deflating the bags. The bags cannot refill if there is no air to fill them with. The disadvantage is the time it takes to air things back up when you want to move again.

2. Find a trailer shop or repair facility that will rewire the truck to make it behave as you wish. Disadvantages: Expense. Possible warranty issues.