slooooooooow

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter
just wondering if everyone else is having the same problem last 2 weeks only made about 700.00 a week this week have not had a losd yet this is wed. afternoon after sitting in chicago area since sat. finally just came home last night guess i will try and wait it out here at home although can,t wait to long

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you have been sitting in Chicago since Saturday without a load maybe you should call your carrier and see if they are still in business.

redhotxpress

Seasoned Expediter
we had friends with tri-state who sat in chicago for days without even a load offer. they not only left chicago to try to get a load, they left their carrier also. chicago is usually a place where you can get a load even on weekends!!!

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
we had 2 drivers leaving in a week just because of this. wondering what to do anymore... is this only with tristate or is it slow allover?

gregp72

Expert Expediter
The problem is most of the carriers have too many trucks and not emough loads for everyone. In many situations, Dispatchers take care of the big fleet owners and their pet drivers first. They tell everybody they don't do that but, we all know the game. We all know there are good weeks and bad weeks. It's part of the business but still, a lot of people are ready to jump ship if they have a bad couple of weeks and then you have to start all over again getting qualified for another company, putting on new logos, orientation, ect.
There is another week with no runs. Makes no sense to me.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Here is the problem: a lot of drivers ask themselves why they don't have anythig in their life.They can not see that they make BAD decisions almost every week. They think that Fedex is better than Tristate, Tristate than Panther, Panther then Fedex....This kind of drivers, are not smart people. They are just some loosers...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>In many situations,
>Dispatchers take care of the big fleet owners and their pet
>drivers first. They tell everybody they don't do that but,
>we all know the game.

I commented on this once before and here it is again. Having spent a day in dispatch I can tell you they are far too busy and overstressed to play favorites. They have a few fires nearly out of control and several other fires contained but still burning. There are around 100-125 trucks and jobs to be looked after during their shift. They don't have time for games or favoritism. That's a common gossip topic among drivers at truckstops but it's a load of fertilizer.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

truckerb1968

Seasoned Expediter
I drive for a small local company in West Michigan and we have been slow this week too. Called dispatch today and asked if we were still in business and actually had the dispatcher apologize for how slow frieght was. I told it's not her fault, that's just business. Thankfully for me I am sitting at home and not at a truck stop waiting for freight and going stir crazy. It's a long way until September folks.
I beleive with some of the larger carries that there are way to many trucks for the amount of loads. For example 30 trucks in Detroit and 20 expedite loads for that company makes for someone sitting for more than one day.
Being a driver since 94. I remember the old Roberts days when they would send you to Erie and you would say to the dipatcher, but there are already three trucks sitting in Erie. In this situation the only ones making money are the Dispatchers and Recruiters.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
You guys are scaring me. We must have been real lucky the past two weeks as we have been steady. Not busy just steady.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
There have been so many companies trying to get into the expedite business over the past several years we're now starting to reach the saturation point. When business starts to flatten out, the first ones to start having trouble are the small companies with 30-some trucks, one guy working in dispatch and maybe one salesman that takes care of a handfull of accounts. Their drivers have a lot of built-in deadhead miles, and if they don't have plenty of runs they can't make any profit at all especially at today's fuel costs. These companies live hand to mouth anyway, and the first thing that starts to drag them down is their receivables. When their customers start dragging out their payments to 50-60 days instead of 15-30 days their cash flow dries up, they can't pay their bills on time and the drivers begin to notice their checks might be a day or two late or a trip not paid that should have been. Then they lose a key account or two to a competitor that offers cheap rates and their drivers start to see fewer runs. Next thing you know, their drivers leave and they don't have the trucks to service their accounts properly so they lose them to the more financially sound competition that is ever-more agressive in these conditions. Once this downward spiral starts they have few assets to begin with and very little to liquidate, so they declare bankruptcy and go out of business leaving their employees, drivers and creditors holding the bag. We will probably see some of these smaller companies go under this year, and it's just as well that this economic Darwinism takes its course. The smart drivers will recognize these warning signs and hopefully not get left high and dry.

The larger, more stable companies like the big four that everybody knows will survive and continue to do well. They have a more diversified national account base and don't depend so much on American auto manufacturers. Their fleet numbers may be reduced, and cargo vans will be the first to feel the pinch since there's a glut of them in today's market. The business-savvy drivers like the well managed companies will be able to tighten their belts and survive the slower months now just as they have done in the past.

Things might seem slow right now, and it's mainly due to the troubles of the Big 3 and the consequences their suppliers are having. A lot of these suppliers are also moving production to Mexico, but that's another discussion for another thread. This is not like a full-blown recession, so if we all hang tough and work smart this too shall pass.

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Not really favoritism, The big three, arnt selling cars much any more. Freight is slow..This sector has been promoted so well and is very appealing because it has been easy money ..Vans.. stright trucks ahe Its was good to me... but I thought the whole time this is too easy..
Example 1 In atlanta for the price of an SUV you can run a wrecker with little required ... guess what there 80 millon one wrecker owners scavaging the highways when its busy you can make a litle money when its slow they are all over each other.
Example 2 Those advertisments for realastate buying and selling, flipping houses..What are they making there money on now ??? selling you how too tapes (the dream).Why??? because the money has been made they were in at the right time and now the secrets out and everybody buys "ugly Houses". So now they sell the dream.. and you better go in with some bank if you want to make it..and compete aaginst all those millions they are advertising too at the same time ..
Total dispare ..absolutly not..but you better be on your game and have money to back you up..
A slow economy, will weed the marginal,high debt operatoers out after a few months. (I DONT WISH THIS FOR ANYONE) if you can hang on you will be the first to hit the runs when it picks up.
I would not even think of owning a truck with payments..because you are exposed to down turns in the economy especially in this business where every year the competition gets stiffer.
When those marginal have to sell usually real cheap,or God forbid get reposesed the one who have been saving and payed off will have the ability to pick up trucks way under market value, Becoming a fleet owner (And thats who really is in the best position if again he is financially squared away) .and be set up for thnext up tick in the economy. Good fortune prosparity and health to all..

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
In this business we call expedite,if your carrier does mostly auto parts,then your going to be slow,as cars are not being sold,and production is down.With the economy be what it is,freight will be slower,but the carriers that do a specialized service will be busy.
Most of the slow has to do with truck size,yes every carrier has more trucks then needed,thats because,to many drivers dont take anything but long loads,and the short loads are getting turned down.Its, what if a load comes up,and we dont have a truck to pick it up.while sitting 3 or 4 days,just think if you had done that 50 mile run,where would you be?

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think you hit it all. Too many trucks, WAY too many vans, too many small companies that compete for limited auto freight. Too many unscrupulous companies (black cat comes to mind) that deceive people, then let them sit & rot.
One can do o.k. if not totally reliant on US Big 3 auto freight.
Even then, I have had two loads to Fenton in the last two weeks-hate that wait til 07:00 crap. Back in the day, they would have had a third shift.
Sure wish I had the truck paid for though!
I can't imagine if there is a glut in the North American auto market, why we should be surprised there is one for us also. I try to maximize all options: hazmat, Canada, larger box, no restrictions on location. Don't measure loads on length of run, or FSC: keep the revenue coming, even if DH involved. Heck, some of my best runs are to Canada over a weekend: get out down to NY or MI.
No easy solutions...a lot of us need an exit strategy. :-(

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I am picky,but I have taken loads I shouldnt have,just to help the company,in fact did a 25 mile D load in california last week.that was on friday after i delivered in morning,did the short load,weht to motel,next morning,reloaded that night to il.not bad 9000 bucks in 6 days

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
I dont know where it's slow because as I said on another post that I have been busy.In fact this year is starting off better than last and has continued,I am in a van and I cant stop to rest more than 20 hours at best and then the Black Cats have me rolling again.Also I drive a cargo van,and my acceptance rate is 79% and my avail. is 88% as of today.Haven't been home since April 19th and am going to stay out and keep pushing on while the Money is avail.As someone said earlier on this topic that the Cat can go to H$$l I say they are good to me and I think I will stay.

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
Ditto, Panther has been running me off the hook. I keep hearing how vans are starving, but maybe it's some of the ones who refuse half the offered loads, trying to weasel all the longer ones. Or maybe it's the ones who won't run Canada. Fine with me, cuz they all should have their contracts cut as far as I am concerned. If everyone would take their turn on shorter loads or going across the border, there wouldn't be as many offered per truck.
I not pro-company either, but this business is based on unpredictability. Most of the time, you DON'T get the load you want. Nothing worse than that greasy-haired clown sitting in his van at the Flying J, bitching about all the short loads he refuses. Just QUIT already!!

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The last three weeks have been slower than the previous three for me by about half - which definitely ain't ideal - but then I am at home and not out on the road somewhere which I imagine would be far worse.

Part of it was my fault this last week ...... I lost a 600 mile run ...... by dilly-dallying and not getting back by the time I told dispatch I would return ...... when I got the call I was still a few hundred miles away and couldn't make the pickup on time. Nobody to blame on that but myself.

sdelliott31

Expert Expediter
>Ditto, Panther has been running me off the hook. I keep
>hearing how vans are starving, but maybe it's some of the
>ones who refuse half the offered loads, trying to weasel all
>the longer ones. Or maybe it's the ones who won't run
>Canada. Fine with me, cuz they all should have their
>contracts cut as far as I am concerned. If everyone would
>take their turn on shorter loads or going across the border,
>there wouldn't be as many offered per truck.
> I not pro-company either, but this business is based on
>unpredictability. Most of the time, you DON'T get the load
>you want. Nothing worse than that greasy-haired clown
>sitting in his van at the Flying J, bitching about all the
>short loads he refuses. Just QUIT already!!

I'm new to EO but have been a cargo van fleet owner for about 4 years and we have 15 units with Panther. When it is slow the above starts to happen. I am a believer that if you take the load then you have more leverage on the next one. Yeah, it doesn't always happen but its better than sitting. Great Point and well said.