Slight Dilemma…we don’t what to do

young250

Seasoned Expediter
Slight Dilemma…we don’t know what to do

Background
New to the trucking business… and have been working for a courier company here in Georgia.

My husband delivered some equipment to a company and while he was there, the shipping manager told him that he was looking for someone to make deliveries for him on a full time basis. He gave my husband his name and phone and said to call him if he was interested!

My husband is in a slight dilemma because he feels like he would knowingly be “stealing” a customer from the courier service.

This is the first time this has happened since we started the business (and I doubt it will be the last), we really don’t know how to handle this situation. It seems a bit “unethical” to take this shipper from the courier company!

Help/advise/opinions- would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

PS: We have our Authority and are defiantly looking for our OWN clients!:)

Last edited:

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
Since the Shipping Mgr. initiated the conversation, I would have no problem entering into discussions with him.

Had your husband initiated the conversation, IMO, you would be seen as attempting to "steal" the Courier Co's. customer.

It might be a good idea to read your contract with the Courier Co. very carefully.

My $.02 YMMV

Rex

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is this the Customer of the Courier? or a Customer of the Couriers Customer? if its the Latter then have at it!!Alls fair when it comes to Business.

Black Sheep

Expert Expediter
Sounds like it might be opportunity knocking. However, be careful with this situation; your husband's contract may have a no-compete clause that would interfere with taking business from the courier he works for now. As previously stated, read your current contract thoroughly, and consult an attorney if there's any part of it you don't understand.

PalletJack

Expert Expediter
If you have your own authority then you have your own company. Go for it in the same manner all the large companies do, they take as many customers away from their competition as they can.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
As said before read and understand you current contract. One thing to also consider is will you ever want to haul for the courier.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Jim has a point. Regardless if your contract has a competition clause in it or not, I'm sure word in the courier biz gets around just as efficiently as it does in expediting. So that one customer may cost you not only the one courier you're running for, but others who hear what you did... even if it were legal. That's something else to think about... getting blackballed.

Having said that... if it happened to me, I'd read my contract, contact a business lawyer; and if everything looks good, go for it. Ppl don't get successful in business without taking chances.