SLEEPER BIRTH PERIODS?

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I NEED AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION THAT ALWAYS STRIKES UP A DEBATE BETWEEN THE WIFE AND I ABOUT THE AMOUNT AND LENGTH OF SLEEPER BIRTH PERIODS.

I'M ALWAYS SAYING THAT YOU CAN ONLY BREAK UP DRIVING/ON DUTY TIME WITH ONE BREAK IN THE SLEEPER BIRTH AND IT HAS TO BE OF AT LEAST TWO HOURS LONG AND THAT ANY OTHER BREAKS IN THE BIRTH WILL STILL COUNT AGAINST YOUR 14 HOUR RULE.

SHE BELEIVES THAT... FIRST OF ALL IT HAS TO BE OF AT LEAST 2 1/4 HOURS AND IT DOES'NT MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU GO TO THE BUNK BECAUSE IT'S ALL ABOUT SAFETY ANYWAY!

WE DRIVE TEAM AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS ISSUE SETTLED BECAUSE DOT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT THE REASONING ONLY THE RULES!

THANKS ALOT!
SHARP327:)

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
You can split sleeper birth. Each period may not be less then two hours, and you can only combine two sleeper births. There are other details to the rule also. It has to be straight sleeper birth. You can not go off duty, and then down to sleeper birth, and have all that time count.
Hope this helps some.
Christine

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
You can split your sleeper into two periods, one must be at least 2 hrs long, and the other must be the remainder of your 10 hrs for it to count. Otherwise you might as well log it as off duty. Also remember that your 14 hr clock is not shut off when in the sleeper, it is only deferred the amount of time you were in the bunk. hope this helps.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Splitting sleeper time gets very complicated . Not only must the 2 breaks be at least 2 hours and total 10 but the driving time is restricted . For example , if you are on duty 2 hours then drive 6 hours and take 4 hours sleeper , you can only drive 5 hours with not more than 1 on duty hour ( say if you had 2 hours on duty , then you could only drive 4 ). Then you must take 6 hours in the sleeper . When you come out , you have to take that last period from 14 and again if you drove 5 hours before that last sleeper break you can only drive 6 then back to 4 hours in the sleeper . If anybody can explain this better , please do !

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
I can help a bit with a sleeper berth with an E.
(However, I can't do much about a sleeper birth with an I;
I'll leave that one to the midwives, paramedics, and obstetricians.)
The federal rule here is sometimes called the leapfrog rule.
This rule is the one which allows a team to run continuously (on a coast-to-coast trip, for example).
It also can help a solo driver.
Here are four guidelines which we must meet while using this rule:
First, any time in the bunk (to qualify under this rule) must be at least 2 hours.
Second, any two consecutive times in the bunk (separated by an on-duty time) must total at least 10 hours.
Third, any two consecutive driving times (separated by a time in the bunk) must total no more than 11 hours.
Fourth, any two consecutive on-duty times (driving and non-driving on-duty times separated by a time in the bunk) must total no more than 14 hours.
Can anyone shed more light on this?
Happy New Year to all!
Doc.