Sleep apnea test????

bulldogmbm

Seasoned Expediter
bout 3 months ago i signed on with panther they gave me my physical and drug screen i passed everything except they only gave me a 3 month physical card told me i had to have a sleep apnea test in the next 3 months because my neck was to big then i started looking around for a test and the cheapest one i found was $1600.00 cash out of pocket MY pocket i called truckers for a cause got a recording couldnt even leave a message i sent an app to st christophers fund for truckers and left many many messages but noone ever called me back or let me know anything if anyone knows of any place out there that will help me keep my job by helping me with this test it would be great i have my pickup for sale hoping to sell it so i can pay for it without having to take a loan out my email is [email protected]

stamp11127

Seasoned Expediter
Depending on your primary care physician and insurance coverage I would go to him and see if they will refer you to a testing center. That way it may be covered under your insurance.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just a FYI
I would recheck with Panther recruiting. That policy is no longer in effect.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Just a FYI
The problem is Panther's physician recommended him for testing and gave him a 3 month card .
This is going to be a real issue when medical records start being sent electronically to the DMV . No more trying with another physician if you don't pass with a first one .

bebopinbigun

Seasoned Expediter
Just a FYI

yes it is I am going through the same thing with Panther, and i was diagnosed with OSA 6, yrs ago and use a cpap machine religously. and the dr. at Panther still wants me to have a sleep study. i can show where i am in compliance with my machine. it has been a royal PITA.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
yes it is I am going through the same thing with Panther, and i was diagnosed with OSA 6, yrs ago and use a cpap machine religously. and the dr. at Panther still wants me to have a sleep study. i can show where i am in compliance with my machine. it has been a royal PITA.

Sounds like Panther needs to find a new doctor . I suspect this one gets kickbacks from testing facilities .

bulldogmbm

Seasoned Expediter
for everyones info here is what happen
i found a test through OOIDA and took it showed i didnt have sleep apnea but my O2 levals were down and my carbin monoxide was up so i took the van in it had an exhaust leak figured that solved the problem so i took an overnight O2 test it was where it was suppose to be still wasnt enough panther had me go to a pulmonologist at my expense and he lookeed at the test and ask why i was there idk i paid him 1000.00 to sign a paper then panther went home for new years so after a total of 2-3 weeks lost work i finally get to go back to work except this is the time when there is no freight oh well at least i have a job right ?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
what is up with this testing bs with panther when it is not even a requirement YET. i realize it is a panther thing not a dot thing, but why are they allowing this to go on at the expense these tests cost. i believe bruno had a problem with one of his drivers and this. if panther is going to do this you would think they would try to work with a testing facility on getting a discount. anyway its a shame that panther is allowing this doctor to do this. if they really are, but it sounds so.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hate to break the news to all of you, but the DOT has guidelines that are now specific in the regulating the use of the machine and the follow testing. IF you are diagnosed with any form of sleep apnea, then from that point on under the guidelines you are to do follow up testing every year or have the machine monitored.

Right now a few companies are looking at these guidelines as regulations, which means it is going to be a pain in the a** for many of us.

As for Panther, I think maybe there has to be some legal advice to those who face an inhouse doctor based on the need to further test people who are already under doctors care for this.

guido4475

Not a Member
I heard that if you are an OOIDA member, the sleep study test is somewhere around $300.00.Anyone else heard or can confirm this?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
oh, i understand if you are already diagnosed. but to have a in house doctor mandate a test is just creating a hardship for people. i dont believe there is a mandate or law that says they must require such a test if a neck size is above a certain limit. i know they say that the size means there is a possibility you could have sleep apnea. i just didnt think they were bound to do so. i thought, at this point in time it was still just a suggestion of you might want to. i understand this is a panther thing,

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you are able to use the va they do the test
when i ret in 89 they did not test for it now i'm in process of having it done