skills and habits

rfrogger120

Expert Expediter
This question is for the veterans of the expediting business and the one's that took the sudden plunge into this business. I would like to know what skills and habits one would need to be financially successful in this business? And the do's and dont's on the road?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would read alot of the archives here on EO. Alot of different approaches as to how folks started. Attending the Expo will also give you a wealth of information from many different sources. It is a penny business and really has to be operated that way. Really understand your personal finances, don't over spend on a truck if purchasing one, and highly consider running for someone to see first hand where the money is going and minumize your risks.
I would also highly advise having plenty of start up capital. Many don't and become a casualty at the first minor crisis.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
rfrogger,this isnt rocket science,as in any business,there is a profit loss,the idea is to know what it is going to take to keep you above board.the best tool you can have is just commom sence,if your income is less than your bills,whats going to happen?the repo man.for your tax structure,you should have a good cpa,that knows the trucking business,there are many right offs that are not known to all in the accounting game.as in any business,there are expenses,in expedite,as in trucking,the truck is the key to you income.if it breaks down your income will suffer,so its a must you do preventive maintenance.
as in any business,you must keep your costs down,this will get you higher profits,it it also helps if your leased to a company that will get you a good gross income,but in finding that company,the least amount of miles you can drive,and take in the most money,is where its at,they say work smarter not harder

ATeam

Retired Expediter
1. Live within your means.

2. Have a goal that you are passionate about achieving.

(Works for any endeavor)