Sirius XM Weather Channel Cut

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Are you missing the Sirius XM Weather and Emergency Channel like Diane and I are? It seems to have been discontinued without explaination.

This is a significant loss for Diane and me. We travel all over the country to places at random on short notice. We have friends that do the same. We reside in Minnesota and have a vacation home in Florida. We loved dialing into this satellite radio channel for the national weather report and forecast. We loved it even more when we are on a run. From behind the wheel it was nice to push a single button on the radio to gain the information we sought.

We could get in-depth hurricane information (nice if you own a Florida house) and find out at what mountain elevations the rain turns to snow (nice if you will be driving through Utah in the next 12 hours). We could monitor severe storm warnings two states ahead on our route. We could be continuously updated as our locations, destinations and the relevant weather conditions changed. When we talk to friends and learn where they are in the country, we could become instantly mindful of their weather as well as our own. Now the channel is gone without explanation or better alternative.

We are communicating our displeasure to our satellite radio provider. The best replacement we have found so far is the internet but it is nowhere as convenient as the radio was.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think the agreement with The Weather Channel expired on September 1, and for whatever reason The Weather Channel didn't want to extend it. Odd, though, since XM and Sirius both used the Weather and Emergency channel to argue not only for their original spectrum space, but for their repeater permits. It was also part of the original promise to the FCC to provide a Public Service for even non-subscribers.

I never listened to it much, tho. I have The Weather Channel app on the Droid, with which you can search for and save different locations to very quickly see weather conditions and forecasts, including video and radar, and combine that with the NOAA broadcasts I can pickup on the phone for any location I want, I was pretty covered.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They said you can get the updates on roaddog channel, or the city by city channels. Not as good as it use to be, but not left in the dark.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I miss it. I don't do "apps" don't know what they are and really don't want to put out even MORE money. I did use the XM weather channel all the time.

guido4475

Not a Member
I am with Mr.Layoutshooter on this one.When I first purchased my Xm Radio there were a certain number of channels that I was interested in, and that is why I purchased it to begin with.After the merger between XM and Sirius I have noticed an increse in homo type music (boy george,culture club,george michael,etc..)and have also noticed they do not wait for the song to end before talking.I cant stand that.And on the channels that were supposed to be commercial free, they feel it necessary to remind us every 10 minutes what station we are listening to.The loss of the weather channel does not sit too well with me.It is seeming to get as bad as satellite tv.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
increse in homo type music (boy george,culture club,george michael,etc..)and have also noticed they do not wait for the song to end before talking.

Guido, you take the same how to be politically correct course as the mayor of Detroit?

I have noticed they have changed some of their format subtly, for example the old radio shows - used to be they didn't repeat the shows after one week of air play and now they are a lot.

I also think if the weather channel is going to control so much, maybe they need to be a bit more accurate - "today no chance of precipitation" while I am looking out my window and it is pouring. The local TV channels are using them as a source for 'accurate' weather more and more. Seeing we are having our last old style TV weatherman retire this yea, we will see more "no snow" reports in July.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I have the app on my iPhone - but found it MUCH easier when driving to hit my XM button.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
SOLUTION:

Text the desired city and state to 78676 (use the format City, ST) or send the 5-digit zip code if you know it.

You'll get a brief 36 hour forecast as such:

TWC FCST
Laredo
Today Ptly Cloudy 100F
Tonight Ptly Cloudy 78F
Tomorrow Ptly Cloudy 101F

Most cell phone contracts allow at least some free text messaging.

More info: Text Messaging

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
SOLUTION:

Text the desired city and state to 78676 (use the format City, ST) or send the 5-digit zip code if you know it.

You'll get a brief 36 hour forecast as such:

TWC FCST
Laredo
Today Ptly Cloudy 100F
Tonight Ptly Cloudy 78F
Tomorrow Ptly Cloudy 101F

Most cell phone contracts allow at least some free text messaging.

More info: Text Messaging

Texting is ILLEGAL while driving a commercial truck. That makes it VERY hard to check what is going on while you are driving. Looking a a phone to play with a "app" (I guess that is geek for application) is NOT a good idea when driving. It was easy and fairly safe to listen to the radio.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This may sound really stupid but outside of a layover, why worry about the weather at the delivery? You have to deliver regardless? AND I am not talking about severe weather stuff either?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This may sound really stupid but outside of a layover, why worry about the weather at the delivery? You have to deliver regardless? AND I am not talking about severe weather stuff either?

One example. We were running from Vancouver to Houston. I checked the weather channel for conditions on roads going through Wyoming. Found out PRIOR to reaching the area that was closed on I80 and was able to find a place to stop. On long runs I often checked on conditions along the route. Once, on an art load with a courier I found out that the roads around Flagstaff were likely to be closed (they ended up closed for 3 days) so I went south and avoided the problem.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
One example. We were running from Vancouver to Houston. I checked the weather channel for conditions on roads going through Wyoming. Found out PRIOR to reaching the area that was closed on I80 and was able to find a place to stop. On long runs I often checked on conditions along the route. Once, on an art load with a courier I found out that the roads around Flagstaff were likely to be closed (they ended up closed for 3 days) so I went south and avoided the problem.

I understand but I am not talking about long drives or critical times, I am talking about the routine stuff - Indy to Detroit or Chicago to Memphis loads.

I check things in route too on special shipments but I do it at designated times, like hazmat tire and load checks.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was hoping people would post good alternatives. Thank you, redytrk, for the non-ap site.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Texting is ILLEGAL while driving a commercial truck. That makes it VERY hard to check what is going on while you are driving. Looking a a phone to play with a "app" (I guess that is geek for application) is NOT a good idea when driving. It was easy and fairly safe to listen to the radio.

Texting while driving ANY vehicle is reckless - but it's perfectly safe to do it while you're stopped. Or, have your codriver do it.

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Texting while driving ANY vehicle is reckless - but it's perfectly safe to do it while you're stopped. Or, have your codriver do it.
Thank you, Cheri. I didn't expect anyone to infer that I was recommending texting while driving, but apparently some have.

Or they feel compelled to conjure up reasons to rebuke others in order to feel superlative. Not sure which. :p

Just joshin' ya, Mr. Layoutshooter, sir. Just joshin'. ;)