Should you run for Multiple Carriers? Read this first!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I would think if sugarplum was having as hard of a time financially as he/she leads on like they would look in to a stable single company.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Actually, deviating from the subject a little, one of the companies that are on Stylectus and Teana did not pay their drivers.

Well Sylectus is a software company. They really don't care and it is not their business to worry about payments (unless you don't pay them, lol). TEANA is a trade organization. We do have a code of ethics that maintains timely payments will be made to other members. If not a member company may file an ethics violation. Not paying ones own trucks is not an area that the organization covers as that is an internal company issue. Whirlwind is not currently a TEANA member.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Sugarplum, welcome to the wonderful world of multi, bottom feeding, slow paying, no paying, gaming carriers. You chose the business model, we didn't choose it for you. If it's not working for you...and it obviously isn't.... do something else. I would rather flip hamburgers than try to run an expedite business on 60-80.cents a mile.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If you can't pay the bills then it's time to get another job. I made more money with 1 carrier than I ever made in the multi-carrier model (hands down)! You can talk it up all you like, but the multi-carrier model is not a good way to do business. I can't tell you how many times three and four companies are bidding on the same load and driving down the price.
When did you have such a change of heart? No more than a few months ago, you were on these same forums defending multi carrier model. You were all about running cheap and making money by running lots and lots miles. What happened? How many unsuspecting newbies did you lead into the multi carrier business? How many failed?

It seems to me...and others... that you were all about multi carriers until you lost your own business and now your trying to run them down out of spite?

guido4475

Not a Member
blizzard: it was Whirlwind Express......:)

There's you're problem right there. I have no sympathy for people running for 80-60 cpm, or less, and whining that they can't make it in this business, especially in a Sprinter.Figure in the deadhead to get that load, and the 60-80 cpm or less is actually alot less per mile.Which equals bankrupt.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Wasn't try to offend you. I guess I am just an optimistic guy and believe that there is still good out there. And good honest people running carriers that don't play games if they are paying you on percentage, if they say "no forced dispatch" they mean it and don't really have a coerced dispatch, think of drivers as the front line and treat them with respect.

It was not that long ago that I was still driving so I understand how easy it is to get jaded in this business. Never settle, never stop looking, never accept less than what you deserve.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
When did you have such a change of heart? No more than a few months ago, you were on these same forums defending multi carrier model. You were all about running cheap and making money by running lots and lots miles. What happened? How many unsuspecting newbies did you lead into the multi carrier business? How many failed?

It seems to me...and others... that you were all about multi carriers until you lost your own business and now your trying to run them down out of spite?

Spite has nothing to do with it! Why would I be bad about selling off my part of a business where I worked for over a year for very little profits? I am not mad at all. I'm just here to point out the ugly parts of the multi-carrier model. I am all for freedom. Drivers can do whatever they want. But after the insurance rates went up and the rates kept on going down I have changed my views. That is called learning in case someone didn't bother to explain what that means. I did not lose my company. I sold my half of it. I didn't like a lot of what I saw happening behind the scenes and I didn't feel right paying drivers sub-par rates just to make a small profit off of them. I think all drivers need to make a dollar a mile minimum and I couldn't give that to them; not even as a small carrier.

Also I didn't lead anyone the wrong way. Most multi-carrier drivers despise the bigger carriers and won't work with them and most of the drivers who work for bigger carriers won't become multi-carrier drivers. Adding a whole bunch of companies is not going to make you more profitable. Also jumping around from company to company is not going to make you any more profitable. I have learned a lot in te past year and a half and if that has offended you I really don't care all that much.

The multi-carrier model is not a good business model; period. That is the beauty of this board. I got attacked for backing up the multi-carrier model and now I'm being attacked for speaking out against it. After all who better to speak out against it than one who has been on both ends of the coin (driver/company owner)? And as far as companies go I can start a new company anytime I please. Sylectus and a few other contacts are waiting in the wings to take me back. I have medical issues that are preventing me from the rigors of running a new company so I will just sit back and type from the sidelines. Most of the posters in here wouldn't be able to rub enough brain cells together to even start their own companies, yet they feel the need to talk down to others like they know everything about this business. Nuff said.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sugarplum, welcome to the wonderful world of multi, bottom feeding, slow paying, no paying, gaming carriers. You chose the business model, we didn't choose it for you. If it's not working for you...and it obviously isn't.... do something else. I would rather flip hamburgers than try to run an expedite business on 60-80.cents a mile.

and some call me tough and blunt....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Spite has nothing to do with it! Why would I be bad about selling off my part of a business where I worked for over a year for very little profits? I am not mad at all. I'm just here to point out the ugly parts of the multi-carrier model. I am all for freedom. Drivers can do whatever they want. But after the insurance rates went up and the rates kept on going down I have changed my views. That is called learning in case someone didn't bother to explain what that means. I did not lose my company. I sold my half of it. I didn't like a lot of what I saw happening behind the scenes and I didn't feel right paying drivers sub-par rates just to make a small profit off of them. I think all drivers need to make a dollar a mile minimum and I couldn't give that to them; not even as a small carrier.

Also I didn't lead anyone the wrong way. Most multi-carrier drivers despise the bigger carriers and won't work with them and most of the drivers who work for bigger carriers won't become multi-carrier drivers. Adding a whole bunch of companies is not going to make you more profitable. Also jumping around from company to company is not going to make you any more profitable. I have learned a lot in te past year and a half and if that has offended you I really don't care all that much.

The multi-carrier model is not a good business model; period. That is the beauty of this board. I got attacked for backing up the multi-carrier model and now I'm being attacked for speaking out against it. After all who better to speak out against it than one who has been on both ends of the coin (driver/company owner)? And as far as companies go I can start a new company anytime I please. Sylectus and a few other contacts are waiting in the wings to take me back. I have medical issues that are preventing me from the rigors of running a new company so I will just sit back and type from the sidelines. Most of the posters in here wouldn't be able to rub enough brain cells together to even start their own companies, yet they feel the need to talk down to others like they know everything about this business. Nuff said.

I'll defend your right to learn and make mistakes...and your right to make good of a bad thing...:)

I used to pom pom for a different carrier at one time till they morphed into something different then I wanted to deal with...and over the past 5-6 years, this business has morphed into something different...at the CV level at least...some are stirring up the mud...and we are choking. have to move some of the bottom feeders out of the pond...

fastrod

Expert Expediter
Most of the posters in here wouldn't be able to rub enough brain cells together to even start their own companies, yet they feel the need to talk down to others like they know everything about this business. Nuff said.
You hit the nail on the head with that statement and I couldn't agree more.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of the posters in here wouldn't be able to rub enough brain cells together to even start their own companies, yet they feel the need to talk down to others like they know everything about this business. Nuff said.

ONE member made a statement to you.....and now it is (members)?....PLease address the person to whom made the remark and debate the issues with that person. I'll be glad to watch....LOL

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Me myself and I like it the old way of running for one carrier. I know who cares. Well after almost 45 years of dealing with all types of carriers and manufacturers it just seems to me that if your dedicated to a carrier and you don't B&^%$ and complain to management and dispatcher they will take care of you better than some one who you talk to once a month. The small carriers that are using multiple carriers are getting mostly whats left on the bid board and not doing any sales work that represents their company. Also most are factoring their money, that's not bad in some cases when they have assets to back that practice up. From all the reading most people that can't collect money from a small now defunct carrier are ether not experienced in handling this type of business or reaching for something that's not there. Some multi carrier operaters do know what their doing but they are far and few between. That's just my opinion.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Well I said a respectable carrier lol. I am talking about the big 5 carriers. Whirlwind is one of the "ugly" carriers!

There is a lot to be said by the name of a carrier. What does Whirlwind tell you??

Sorry that was a typo. LOL!

Last edited:

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Me myself and I like it the old way of running for one carrier. I know who cares. Well after almost 45 years of dealing with all types of carriers and manufacturers it just seems to me that if your dedicated to a carrier and you don't B&^%$ and complain to management and dispatcher they will take care of you better than some one who you talk to once a month. The small carriers that are using multiple carriers are getting mostly whats left on the bid board and not doing any sales work that represents their company. Also most are factoring their money, that's not bad in some cases when they have assets to back that practice up. From all the reading most people that can't collect money from a small now defunct carrier are ether not experienced in handling this type of business or reaching for something that's not there. Some multi carrier operaters do know what their doing but they are far and few between. That's just my opinion.

Amen, doesn't matter if you are a big, small, skinny or fat carrier. The issue is who's freight are you hauling.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
When you haul as an outside carrier, with your own authority, for Panther, Fedex, Bolt, and Tri-state, they all made you wait 30 days before they sent you a check. Express-1 made you wait longer. Smaller companys like On-time Express and MP Logistics paid every week. I never hauled for Whirlwind but I might now if they would update their website with their current rates and practices.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Amen, doesn't matter if you are a big, small, skinny or fat carrier. The issue is who's freight are you hauling.
I would definitely agree with the first sentence....the size of your fleet doesn't matter so much. Obviously, the bigger carriers who have a lot of in-house, shipper direct freight have an advantage, but the little guy can find those too.

As far as who's freight is on your truck. I would agree, depending on how you mean that. I don't really care who's freight is on my truck. I do care how much it is paying and whether or not they will actually cough up the cash on payday.