Should I file my taxes if I only made 10K?

henboy1

Expert Expediter
I got into the expediting/courier business last yr and only grossed 10k from my W2.Should I go ahead and file my taxes?I am not expecting to owe or recieve any money since I will be itemizing gas, maintenance etc...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
henboy1,

On March 7, you asked the same question and received several replies, all telling you to file. Why are you asking the same question again?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FILE FILE FILE!!Cover your rear no one else will!!!!

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you want a dose of syphilis then don't file. Otherwise by all means file. Especially if you are itemizing deductions. Don't forget the D.O.T. per diem.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
You need to file. You should always file.

I would also recommend if that is what you made in a full year, I would find someone else to run for or get in another business. Maybe I misunderstood what your message said but if I read it right and you typed it right then I say move on.

I spend that on fuel. Sorry just letting you know you can do very much better

Raceman
OTR O/O

RDC

Expert Expediter
anything made over 7500$ requires one to file their taxes. I called the IRS and asked them a few years ago so its probably a higher $$amt. by now.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Everyone should file regardless of amount made. You can use 1040EZ if it's a low amount but even if you only made one dollar you need to file a return so they have it on record. I'd even file the EZ form with zero dollars if for some strange reason there was a year with zero income just so they know you aren't ignoring it.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

bryan

Veteran Expediter
Hi
Definatly file.You will need proof of self employment if you decide to change companies.Lets say you quit company A next year and then 5 years later they are out of business you will have a hard time proving your work history.Every carrier needs to verify 10 years of driving history if you have driven that long.Any time from the date you started driving professionally untill the present has to be accounted for.

Also you will need these records if you plan on getting a loan anytime in the next 5 years.Don't worry about not showing much of a profit the first year as most businesses don't.Banks understand this and will pay more attention to whether your income is showing steady improvement.

You will need these records to get any goverment assistance such as food stamps or the medical card.A must have if you get hurt while being self employed or one of your kids gets sick and needs special care.BWC covers medical bills for kids under age 18 with a much higher income rate than medicare but they will not even talk to you if you don't have 3 years of tax returns.