Should I become an owner operator?!?!

Rickport

New Recruit
I am not currently driving and only have a couple years under my belt. I'm working part time in retail and can't stand it! Debating on buying a van and get on the road so I can be my own boss again. Had a small business years ago and I'm wondering if It would be a hassle with insurance, do I need an accountant, how many hoops do I have to jump through. In other words is it most likely worth it? Also I am retired military I don't have to run myself into the ground, are the carriers pretty loose on weeks out/days in. Don't plan on being a slug but if things are slow I don't care if I'm at the house for a few extra days. Thanks.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I am not currently driving and only have a couple years under my belt. I'm working part time in retail and can't stand it! Debating on buying a van and get on the road so I can be my own boss again. Had a small business years ago and I'm wondering if It would be a hassle with insurance, do I need an accountant, how many hoops do I have to jump through. In other words is it most likely worth it? Also I am retired military I don't have to run myself into the ground, are the carriers pretty loose on weeks out/days in. Don't plan on being a slug but if things are slow I don't care if I'm at the house for a few extra days. Thanks.

sounds like you are better off where you are now, unless you like sitting and waiting somewhere for a load in your cargo van, just saying.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Forget about being AT the house, how about being AWAY from the house ... for weeks at a time??

I just filed my taxes & did my year end analysis. Longest stretch I was away from home in 2014 was 74 days.

Best of luck!

Sent from my LG-P999 using EO Forums mobile app

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You may have just found yourself a perfect small business:)

You shouldn't have any problems living in the van. It's an upgraded foxhole lol.

drizion

Expert Expediter
Driver
it's what you make it ...and it's worth a try im not sure about the vans and sitting ..i hear alot of horror storys about the vans not making the money they were promised but its your choice give it a try. it may just work for you

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im in a straight trk. ive had good and bad its what u make of it.
Good luck in your endevers

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can always tell them you only want loads within a certain 300 mile range from your home for instance...or you want to be home every weekend. Being an O/O gives you options, especially if you aren't hard up for money and have another source of income/home is paid off, etc..