Shorter breaking distance

moose

Veteran Expediter
here we go again.
a new political mandate is now in effect, and we are all being kindly asked to pick up the bill. but if you are planing of buying a new truck, manufactured after Aug. 1st, it will cost you big time.
the logic behind the new mandated shorter breaking is simple. truck manufacturers cannot sell safety UNLESS all truck manufacturers are forced to use it. from that point on ALL trucks on the dealers lot are heavier, expensiveier, and can haul less freight for more money.
a classic example of eliminating competitions by regulations.
and please do not forget regulators, that are getting paid percentage for every increase in sell price.

the 1st time it will cost you is at the tag price, as those new breaks are more expensive.
2. it will then cost you more to maintain or replace parts.
3. since most of the 300+p. per tractor increased weigh is on the 'moving parts' of the wheels - it will take mach more fuel and energy to rotate the axle, there for increase rolling resistance . and more visits to the fuel pumps.
4. since we are limited at gross, the new trucks can haul less payload, there for if you are getting paid by the pound (very popular in trucking, not so in Expedite), your competitions can simply run the freight from under your wheels.

you would think that the Gov., safety advocated group, or anyone else that have a stake in road safety, will be even slightly interested in helping truckers pick up the bill for improving road safety, but since this will not effect load rates, you are going to be the only one paying for that. why don't they do the right thing even once and make grants available ? why dose it needs to be mandated ?
why ?, corruptions...that's why !
:mad:

read more here :

Better Stopping Performance Now Built Into Highway Tractors as New Rules Take Effect - Truckinginfo.com

moose

Veteran Expediter
The other hidden problem, is that the new mandate will NOT help saving life on the roads, unless the trucker is too stupid to drive, which is why the ATA support this.
you see, with this new rule we are leading the world when it's comes to breaking distance, but we are plain last with supporting breaking systems. most trucks around the world have way smaller service breaks, but have more then a few other ways to slow a truck. the 'thelma' can simply rip off the axle from under the truck if not used correctly. same goe's to 'retarders' (not the useless engine break, a real retarder, mounted on the drive shaft), or even the powerful magnetic breaks ...

what you are going to see, once those trucks are being used widely, are long skidding marks,
as those new systems can OUTBREAK ANY TIRE.
to fight this, truck manufacturers have only one tool left, and that is electronic controlled breaking.
just give them a few years and an electronic controlled breaking systems will be mandated .
guess hoe's gonna be asked to pay for those ?...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Moose, I got to tell you THIS is actually a good thing.

Last week I drove a truck with disc brakes (the third one I have driven) and it was great to brake hard with these brakes.

I don't get this idea why are they still building trucks (outside of heavy haul) that use drum foundation brakes. Europe has smaller spaces, and shorter stopping distance AND disc brakes.

So maybe this will force the manufacture to rid themselves of these old things and bring in some new technology.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well Moose, I got to tell you THIS is actually a good thing.
it could have being, if financially handled right,like getting anyone else BUT the truckers butt to pay for this, and allowing the market place to decied if they even needed
Last week I drove a truck with disc brakes (the third one I have driven) and it was great to brake hard with these brakes.
but you see, as well stated in the provided link, those new breaks will do nothing to increase safety unless apply in panic mode. a good well experienced trucker will never use panic breaking, only the inexperienced revolving door type,which serve big money so well,and helps 'leveling the playing field' politics at it's finest form
I don't get this idea why are they still building trucks (outside of heavy haul) that use drum foundation brakes. Europe has smaller spaces, and shorter stopping distance AND disc brakes.
they also allowed to carry twice as mach payload, so what, it will never work here. i kind of in a position to know, having being there and done that and all.
BTW, we are trailing technology big time when it's comes to disc breaks, funny, we are still trying to invent the wheel,so to speak, when it's comes to AIR disc brakes, when EU EOM already offer the Electric disc brake as a 'standard option' (a brilliant marketing term by itself BTW)

So maybe this will force the manufacture to rid themselves of these old things and bring in some new technology.
no it will not, by design the new mandate is only supposed to Forced them to do one thing, and one thing only: sell more of a truck every time they sell a truck. as expected this is not about safety it is about money, and giving it back to big money's

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I understand what you are saying but I look at it differently, and the article supports it by pointing out that the disc brake system is pretty much self-adjusting, leaving the possibility of mis-adjusted brakes in the past.

Any way I look at it, having a design that is 50 years old and rather a pain to deal with in some circumstances, like brake fade, it may be a good thing that we as an industry start changing the what we drive through asking for and paying for the new technology.

Either way, the truck I am working on buying in the near term has the disc brakes listed as an option at $1100 for the entire truck and it is what it will have.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

And lighter trucks. The best and least expensive way to stop shorter is to run lighter and drive slower. No additional costs that way. Better fuel mileage too.

existenz

Active Expediter
The ATA is also recommending trucks coming from the factory with a 65MPH limiter, and a possible 65MPH nationwide speed limit for all vehicles.

Some other group is actually pushing to have state be allowed to chose certain federal highways to allow a higher weight limit of 96-97,000 lbs with the use of a third trailer axle.
They bring up the fact that in normal trucking, much of the trailer space goes unused, even when at a full 80,000.
SO to save money on using less trucks, and less fuel to haul loads, increase the legal capacity that can be carried.

The third rear axle adds breaking ability, and proper load distribution.

I think its one of the few things I've read recently that I like....

For all the rules and limits on truck drivers, including one that a senator is trying to pass making it harder to get and keep a CDL (fail an inspection, lose your CDL) Im still waiting for someone to force the typical motorist to go to a driving school once in a while and get a clue.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Either way, the truck I am working on buying in the near term has the disc brakes listed as an option at $1100 for the entire truck and it is what it will have.

VERY interesting.
im buying a brand new top of the line trailer next month, and was quoted the disc brake option at a whooping 4,760 $ by the dealer. for those 2 axles.
that is for a tractor trailer, and the spread trailer axles are 40,000p. rated .
Bob Caffee told me in person (and i hope he will forgive me for saying it out loud) that the price above sounds right to them, and in line with what i could expect from freightliners .
can you please say more,(or at list PM me) about the disc breaks info you are going to have on the truck ?
your info will be very mach appreciated .

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
My friends new Pete straight truck has discs all the way around. but his are hydraulic. The truck is on it's maiden voyage. I hope to hear soon how he likes it.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
A large amount of Petes are being built with discs, but I believe they are a special order still. Delivered recently to Denton, and there were a ton of them there.

Deville

Not a Member
I never understood why trucks had not made the switch over to disc brakes. I think it's long over do.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know i'm not on the road anymore, but i'm going to say 80% of the time it's the 4 wheeler fault not the big trucks.I think you all will agree with me on that one.Get them rule making ;;; holes out here to ride in the trucks to see for them selves.nite folks.