Short or Extended Sprinter?

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Hello all. I'm just getting into the business and am working on buying a Sprinter. I have a hire commitment from a reputable company, and they recommend an extended sprinter. In researching the kind posts and responses from the past, I can't really determine which is the better length, although Mr. Berry says that most of his runs are with two pallets or less. I have found an extended van that is built out like a motel room at a reasonable cost. It has everything including kitchen cabinets. It will make being out there for extended periods a pleasure, but the load capacity is reduced to two pallets. What to do? All input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's all compromises. You can go for maximum comfort to make life better on the road. You can go for maximum utility to capture the most load offers. Most fall somewhere in between. Only you can determine what's most important to you and where on the scale you need to fall. Good luck with your research.

panthercub

Seasoned Expediter
Seeker, I only lasted 3 months in this business, so I can only give a very small sample size. But in three months, I only had one load in my Sprinter that wouldn't have fit in 2 pallets' worth of space.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The extended Sprinter afford the best of both worlds in the compromise arena of which LBD spoke. The revenue potential between hauling two skids and three skids is minimal. You may get more loads hauling three skids, but they rarely pay more. Plus, it's quite a tradeoff when you have three skids on board and no place to sleep for three nights on a Friday pickup for Monday delivery going 500 miles. Been there, did that for years, so the ability to sleep while loaded is paramount for me.

I have a 30" bunk and another 30" for "living space", and then 108 for cargo where I can comfortably carry two skids. With the new Sprinters, the longest ones, you can actually have a bunk and still have room for three skids. You won't have much room for anything other than the bunk, won't have any "living space", but it can be done.

In expediting, most loads ate two skids or less, or more than four skids. There are certainly some three-skid loads, but they are a small percentage. Those that I know who can haul three skids rarely do. Another factor with three skids in a Sprinter is, often the weight of the third skid is enough to put the vehicle overweight, so even if you could fit it, you can't haul it, anyway.

There are absolutely plenty of three skid loads that a Sprinter can haul, but for me, that ability doesn't justify not having a permanent bunk and a place to sleep. I may miss out on a few loads because of it, but I rarely miss out on getting a load completely because of it. More likely, there's a 3-skid load sitting there to be shipped, and I'll get the 2-skid load sitting next to it instead.

Regardless of what you do with it insofar as outfitting it, when all is said and done, when it comes to a cargo van or Sprinter, the bigger the better.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
but don't forget to weigh it, so you know how heavy the upfit is and how much of your gross is left for freight.

eb

seekerman

Expert Expediter
Thanks so much for the responses guys. Something I hadn't considered was the weight of the upfit. The private response addressing that was very detailed - I appreciate it as well as ebsprintin's note. As an aside, one of the clear benefits I see in this business is the obvious quality and caring attitude of the people who are already in the business. Every experience I have had has been gratifying and encouraging. I hope that I might have the opportunity to meet some of you out there. Until then, keep the shiny side up and enjoy.