sell or trade??

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
im wanting to get a white glove type d unit or a class 8 tractor with a reefer unit on a 22 ft. box should i sell my 2000 fl-106 outright or try to trade it?? any suggestions??

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will lose on the trade. Whats wrong with putting the 22 ft reefer box on the fl106? I presume you have the detroit 50 series or cat c-10 in the truck so those engines are pretty strong for heavy weight hauling.
Good luck either way.
Randy

>im wanting to get a white glove type d unit or a class 8
>tractor with a reefer unit on a 22 ft. box should i sell my
>2000 fl-106 outright or try to trade it?? any suggestions??
:)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I agree.... you could probably get a nice reefer box for less than what you would lose on a trade or trying to sell it quick.. the resale market is low right now.. because there are so many out there. If you've got a good truck, it would be better.. in MY opinion.. to just change the box..

Just my 2 cents

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with the others- keep your 106, they are a fairly beefy more-or-less class 8 truck anyway. Should be no trouble at all equipping it for white glove. You'll really loose yor butt on trading a 2000, and it would be a miracle now if you could sell it outright for anything decent- nothing wrong with the truck, it's just that there is little market for expediter trucks now.
-Weave-

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
thanks for the suggestions..hadnt thought of just swapping the box....figured it wouldnt be cost effective but ill check in to it..thanks:+any suggestions on where to look to buy one of these boxes...ill have to have the reefer on the side because of my big sleeper.???

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
The reefer D-Units I've seen with big sleepers, usually have the reefer mounted underneath the truck. I know Alumibunk does it that way... I'm sure other companies would be able to do so.. You "might" be able to get in touch with them and see if they can just get reefer boxes, instead of selling you a whole truck....
their site is simply www.alumibunk.com

Dreamer

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
You might be better off with a box swap if you cut out the middle man. I'm sure there are others, but Kidron Body Co. out of Kidron, Ohio has installation on site at their manufacturing facility. You can spec the box and reefer from them, deliver the truck when the body is done, and be back at it in no time.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
RE: sell or trade??(there's 1 in the classifieds)

Hey.. just noticed that in the classified section of this site, there is someone wanting to trade his 22 ft reefer box for a 22 ft dry box! Could be the answer! Did you try contacting him? He advertised on 8-16-02.. who knows, he might still have it....

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The best sources for decent used boxes are used truck dealers. Most will remove the boxes from existing trucks on their lots if you find one you like. Prices are easy to negotiate too. I definitely recommend an insulated box for the reefer route, if you insist on going that way. Moisture and condensate tend to kill off dry boxes quickly. I would put a posting on the forum to FedEx CC'ers with reefers and ask how much they are actually using the reefer to see if it is worth the bother. I'm just gonna bet it would take quite some time to make a reefer setup pay itself back, but I'm not really sure- just a guess.
-Weave-