self employed/workers comp ins

WES

Expert Expediter
Needs some help
Wife and I are getting ready for the road, driving for an owner Told we needed workers comp. Ins agent said I needed to be a business with employees before they could write it.

Could anyone quickly point me in the right direction. We havve only a few days left to be ready.

We drove two years ago with Panther and that was something they took care of at orientation.

Thanks, Wes

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you live in Ohio you get Workers Comp. From the Bureau of Workers Compensation in Columbus Ohio. You can go online also and get information and sign up. You do not need to be a company they will insure individuals.
If not in Ohio check online in your state.

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
if ur not the owner the owner should take care of it for u now u might have to make the payments which should be no more then 30 a week if u r the owner most companies do not require u to have w/c just insurance

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are still looking for an answer!

Each state's laws are different. Best way and quickest way to cut to the chase is to call your state's department of labor hot line, and ask them what you need.

If you live in PA and are an employer or owner but do not have any employees, you are not required to carry wokers comp. but in OH you must carry it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I oklahoma if you are an o/o the you can get a certifate of non-compliance and you don't have to carry wc then. All it states is that you don't have wc. It's not a fine or anything like that.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
This link should answer all questions about WC in USA.
<http://www.comp.state.nc.us/ncic/pages/all50.htm>