OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
1512826_894326950605794_6537705555820734102_n.jpg

Reactions: Turtle and Ragman

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Truckmaker Freightliner's newest commercial big rig can steer and drive itself, while the driver relaxes and enjoys the ride.

"Ninety percent of commercial truck accidents are due to driver error and one in eight of those are due to driver fatigue," states Freightliner head of Trucks and Buses Wolfgang Bernhard. Autonomous technology, the automaker went on to claim, can help curb long-haul fatigue by allowing a computer to handle the long, dull stretches of straight highway

The camera-based technology needs only clear roadside signage and crisp white stripes...

Freightliner tells us that the system will notify the driver with visual and audible cues in the event that conditions won't allow confident autonomy (such as snow, rain or on roads with poorly defined lane markers) and a human is needed to take over. When driving conditions are optimal, however, and the road stretches out ahead, the Inspiration Truck's driver can set the Highway Pilot and tend to other parts of the business of logistics.

The driver sets the Highway Pilot and tends to other parts of the business of logistics. He grabs the sports page and heads to the sleeper to back one out and catch up on scores. What was that noise? Was it an audible cue from the Highway Pilot?

Highway Pilot: Dave, what are you doing back there?

Dave: Nothing that concerns you HP.

Highway Pilot: Dave, my cameras are not picking up any lane markings. It can only be attributable to human error. Dave we are going to crash in .25 seconds.

Dave: HP you have crashed the truck and there is a fire in the cab. HP open the driver's door!

Highway Pilot: I am sorry Dave, I can not do that.

Mr. Expediter

New Recruit
The Jetsons takes place in 2063. Give it time. A briefcase flying car requires nano technology, which we've just begun to explore. But we already have the flat screen TVs and portable video chat devices, interactive newspapers with moving pictures in them, and robot vacuum cleaners.

As for autonomous vehicles: Mars Rover

Man, you're dead on with that!