See ya

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I totally agree that tailgating & cutting vehicles off is dangerous and stupid - I just don't agree that the t/ts are doing the majority of it, or that they're going downhill @ 80 - I can't do that in a s/t!
Like I said: you are clearly burned out - time to do something else, before your anger gets the best of you.

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
I totally agree that tailgating & cutting vehicles off is dangerous and stupid - I just don't agree that the t/ts are doing the majority of it, or that they're going downhill @ 80 - I can't do that in a s/t!
Like I said: you are clearly burned out - time to do something else, before your anger gets the best of you.

You don't disagree with me cause I never said that 18 wheelers do the majority of it, I said I don't miss dealing with the ones that do it. And, if the hill is long enough and steep enough you can hit 80. And yes, I've been burnt out of enjoyment for the road for a couple years now.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Driver2 I wish you luck in your next adventure.

Many of the things you bring up about living on the road is not carrier specific but a fact of living on the road. When the "bad" part becomes a bigger thorn in the side then the beauty and fun of seeing this country it is time to move on.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on why you are getting out as many people looking at getting into the business of trucking with rose colored glasses need to read this.

I can sure sympathize with you losing your dog. When we lost Molly who was 15 last year it devastated us. We found it horrible to walk back to our truck and not see her watching for us, I got to where I did not even want to leave the truck due to the pain of coming back. Molly first helped us get our girls through high school and then made the switch with us to trucking and was with us from the day we started trucking with US Xpress and then onto buying our own truck and expediting. A lot of the joy went out of trucking without her as our constant companion, but we had a new truck to pay for and we had to continue on. That might be what saved us in many ways was the new truck as Molly never was in the new truck watching for us.

Like I said good luck and remember the good times! Trucking is a great adventure and I know you saw many things that most people never have a chance to see.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
After 10 years in the expediting biz I've called it quits. Was a great career before the crash of 2009 then went downhill fast. Thought I would be more distraught over the decision but the only thing I miss are the pre-2009 memories. I will not miss the:
waiting, living in parking lots, traffic around big cities, driving while dangerously sleep deprived, having to cook in my van because it's too inconvenient to wait at a healthy restaurant, driving in bad weather, sleeping in noisy parking lots, getting excited about a load then having it cancel, empty promises from my carrier, knowing I'm extremely expendable to my carrier, being at the mercy of the unpredictable and illogical price of gas, repeatedly exposing myself to the high probability of a traffic accident for very little in return, unfriendly border patrol agents, waiting hours to load because of this or that all for a canceled load, being alone and nomadic (was great the first 4 years then got old fast, humans are not designed to be alone), wondering if I'm in a bad neighborhood while parked overnight to sleep, being ready to go home for the weekend then getting a load going the opposite direction (almost never fails), getting no explanation as to why I was passed over on a certain load and that I need to "just trust the system", driving in the north east, virtually every aspect of driving in New York, paying a high monthly fee for a Qualcomm unit and being asked what my location is all the time, having to refuse trips to: Ohio because there's always too many trucks there, Indiana and Chicago because there is hardly any long runs from there and most runs are low paying, Detroit and Buffalo because most runs from there just go into Canada, down south because there is not much freight coming out of there, North East because there is no good place to layover, remote parts of anywhere because my carrier didn't want to pay for me to relocate, getting knocks on my door at 2:30 am from police wondering what I'm doing, getting to a pickup just to find the shipper clueless as to what I'm picking up, getting to the shipper just to find my freight was loaded on another truck and is gone, being woke up for really low paying offers, refusing a low paying offer and then being offered again for $10 more, and again and again...the false belief that my carrier has my best interest in mind, being woke up at 2am by the street cleaner at Walmart, calling Walmart my second home, trying to convince myself that my lifestyle IS better than most homeless people's, driving on Michigan's horrible roads, huge detours/traffic jams because of accidents/construction, trying to find safe places to jog or bike, thinking I have my "own" business just because I'm not legally employed by anyone, being snowed in at a parking lot in the middle of nowhere, having it rain and feeling like I live in a tin can, sleeping in my sleeping bag in fridged weather, not having immediate access to running water or a hot shower with out being at a truck stop or motel, constantly refueling my generator if I want heat in the winter or coolness in the summer, dealing with inconsiderate 18 wheelers, (for example when they go 80mph down a hill and 40mph up the next hill), day to day unpredictability of the industry, stiff backs, ..... just to name a couple things. However, I did enjoy things about the career such as_________. (fill in the blank)

I can just hear and see Jeff Foxworthy doing a routine using your exact words. That was and is a brillant piece of work and how true it is out here. Not making fun of you, but you have the makings of a great writer of comic proportions. You have taken what some would say is a rant of depressing statements and turned it into a funny routine of life on the road. I and a bunch of us can relate to what you have written, brillant, simply brillant IMHO. LMAO, I'm on your side.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can just hear and see Jeff Foxworthy doing a routine using your exact words. That was and is a brillant piece of work and how true it is out here. Not making fun of you, but you have the makings of a great writer of comic proportions. You have taken what some would say is a rant of depressing statements and turned it into a funny routine of life on the road. I and a bunch of us can relate to what you have written, brillant, simply brillant IMHO. LMAO, I'm on your side.:)

I don't think he missed much on the downside....it is all there...LOL

Maverick

Seasoned Expediter
Wow. OP says it all and have only been exposed to a portion of it. While it all seems true, I personally battle for what I call The Break Out.

Fought traffic and road signs to the shipper, dealt with the freight load, entered all necessary QC info, had a quick snack, and now it's time to fight your way out. It's stop lights, rude 4 wheelers, etc and finally the outskirts of town can be had. You clear the whole mess and hit the open road. The brain relaxes from the tight grip of concentration, while feeling of accomplishment settles in. I did what I had to do with no accidents, no tickets, and still have my sanity; I think.

Now the pay off/trade off.....Rolling through the hills of Virginia, the flats of Texas, the sights, sounds, and scenes of a once great country. Suddenly, it's not all bad and this is what you worked for. You, your truck, and freight which someone needs today. For this time frame, you have no boss, no angry people to deal with, and one can feel the tranquility much deserved.

Perhaps you think about family. Maybe it's a song in your head. That home project you planned to do, if you ever get home. :) Whatever the case, you're on the open road and for this seemingly brief time, and for a change, it's all about you. Roll up the miles, bring home the cash, and enjoy the open road for a while. Personally, when all the headaches are not worth the Break Out portion of the trip.......time to hang it up for me.

Last edited:

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Driver2 I wish you luck in your next adventure.

Many of the things you bring up about living on the road is not carrier specific but a fact of living on the road. When the "bad" part becomes a bigger thorn in the side then the beauty and fun of seeing this country it is time to move on.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on why you are getting out as many people looking at getting into the business of trucking with rose colored glasses need to read this.

I can sure sympathize with you losing your dog. When we lost Molly who was 15 last year it devastated us. We found it horrible to walk back to our truck and not see her watching for us, I got to where I did not even want to leave the truck due to the pain of coming back. Molly first helped us get our girls through high school and then made the switch with us to trucking and was with us from the day we started trucking with US Xpress and then onto buying our own truck and expediting. A lot of the joy went out of trucking without her as our constant companion, but we had a new truck to pay for and we had to continue on. That might be what saved us in many ways was the new truck as Molly never was in the new truck watching for us.

Like I said good luck and remember the good times! Trucking is a great adventure and I know you saw many things that most people never have a chance to see.

Thank you. Trucking is INDEED a great adventure. And I believe a new truck also saved me like it may have for you. Everything about the old van reminded me of Rush, my dog. Everywhere I went also reminded me of him. Passing a certain rest area and remembering I always walked him there, passing a Starbucks on 77 south because the cashier have him a cup of cool whip, (which of course he loved). The list goes on and on, for areas all across the US and Canada. Spots that triggered memories of him were strewn about on almost every major highway and truckstop and rest area. I couldn't have seen alot of the joy of expediting if it weren't for him.

turritrans

Expert Expediter
. One of my absolute favorite things was to leave for a long trip at about 6pm after a good sleep in the summer. Then seeing the sunset and listening to music or Coast 2 Coast am with the windows down in the middle of the night with the warm air blowing in and the different scents of the summer night. Ahhhh, how I miss that!!!

This is a tough business no matter what seat your in, behind the wheel or behind the computer. This comment hits home to me because the trips I have taken and to smell the different flowers in the air and the sweet smells coming in the window as the sun is coming up on a beautiful stretch of road is hard to beat! Sometimes things like this makes all the challenges we can all deal with in the line or work more tolerable.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The chance to get Maine lobster, in Maine, Philly cheesesteaks in Philly, jambalaya in New Orleans, BBQ in KC, Texas, Memphis, conch fritters in the Keys - ok, not many loads to the last one, but it could happen!
The hours to drive through the night with an excellent story playing on audio.....
The scenery throughout Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.....

Wait - are we trying to talk the OP out of quitting, or what?
:confused:
With all the downsides, there's still a lot to love in this way of life - but the downsides are major, to be sure. And the profit seems to be getting less each year, too, so I can totally understand wanting out.
Driver 2: I switched from nursing to driving a truck, lol - maybe you'll be happier doing the opposite.

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
The chance to get Maine lobster, in Maine, Philly cheesesteaks in Philly, jambalaya in New Orleans, BBQ in KC, Texas, Memphis, conch fritters in the Keys - ok, not many loads to the last one, but it could happen!
The hours to drive through the night with an excellent story playing on audio.....
The scenery throughout Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.....

Wait - are we trying to talk the OP out of quitting, or what?
:confused:
With all the downsides, there's still a lot to love in this way of life - but the downsides are major, to be sure. And the profit seems to be getting less each year, too, so I can totally understand wanting out.
Driver 2: I switched from nursing to driving a truck, lol - maybe you'll be happier doing the opposite.

I sure hope I'll be happier, at least happier than the last couple of years. I'm looking forward to the change...kinda scary though. Going into a whole new profession and all.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many of the things you bring up about living on the road is not carrier specific but a fact of living on the road.

That is true, but if your carrier is your main source of aggravation, that tends to magnify the little annoyances that are part of everyday life on the road. I'm not saying a carrier switch would have greatly changed things for Driver2, but switching carriers has dramatically changed many expediter's outlook on not only the industry, but life in general. I'm a prime example of what changing carriers can do for a person.

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Frederick is a genius. As long as you guys tolerate him he'll keep encroaching on your profits. Don't blame him, blame yourselves. They just keep taking more of your freedoms away and you are putting up with it. Amazing.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I know a guy who got laid off from his factory job,he was crushed,small town not many options,town did have a hospital though,so he went to nursing school,became an RN.Today he will tell you that layoff was the best thing that ever happened to him. He thought he was happy in the factory,but found his real love was nursing.

Driver2

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the encouragement runrunner. I know nursing is not for everyone neither is expediting and it takes a special person to do either.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Lets look at the fleet owner that has 5 trucks and nets $20,000 per truck per year.
Now he sees that he'll net 10% less on the flat rate.
5 x$18,000 is $90,000.

Honey, what are we to do ? We can't keep the 2 Mercedes , the boat, and the cabin, with a $10,000 per year cut !

No problem sweetie. Buy another truck.
6x $18,000 is $108,000.
Just slightly more aggravation and we're netting $8,000 more per year.
I'm going to get my nails done.
Ooohhhh, I love that Jason Frederick !

I'm watching single truck owners moving to fleet ownership, and fleets adding trucks as fast as they can get them.

Maybe Jason Frederick IS a genius !

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

First time I went down Jellico, it was with the trainer asleep in the bunk, and me holding on for dear life, while watching my trailer start to come around... 80mph.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Lets look at the fleet owner that has 5 trucks and nets $20,000 per truck per year.
Now he sees that he'll net 10% less on the flat rate.
5 x$18,000 is $90,000.

Honey, what are we to do ? We can't keep the 2 Mercedes , the boat, and the cabin, with a $10,000 per year cut !

No problem sweetie. Buy another truck.
6x $18,000 is $108,000.
Just slightly more aggravation and we're netting $8,000 more per year.
I'm going to get my nails done.
Ooohhhh, I love that Jason Frederick !

I'm watching single truck owners moving to fleet ownership, and fleets adding trucks as fast as they can get them.

Maybe Jason Frederick IS a genius !

Then there is the new expediting TV soap opera that current business conditions has brought us: "As the quality drops".

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have just over two years and I'll be semi retiring at 62..I'll work some but not like I do now. I would have taken a local job as an employee right now, but I wouldn't be able to take time off when I wanted and would have been locked into set vacation times, which isn't for me right now.