Secure your 'stuff'! Thieves LOVE you!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As I walk thru the parking lot towards my van, I see Spring has sprung, and with the sunshine, I see many vehicles with the windows down and not a soul in sight. Vanners are especially bad about this it seems. I see everything from GPS, cell phones, misc electronics, laptops, clothes, etc, piled up on the front seats or the dash. You think you could react, but how quickly could somebody walk bye and grab some of that stuff and you never know they were there? You're napping, or playing on the computer in the back, whatever... why leave so much stuff visible? How fast could they grab that stuff?? If your pants are on the passenger seat, are your wallet and keys, etc in them? Would you even hear them leave?

At least put up a curtain so they can't see your stuff...roll the window up halfway or something so it's not so easy for them!

Dale

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anybody want to buy a scanner :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
...and what about the freight that could be in an open vehicle??? Hello freight claim, bye-bye Escrow!

Geez, I'm starting to sound like a safety guy. :)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
...and what about the freight that could be in an open vehicle??? Hello freight claim, bye-bye Escrow!

Geez, I'm starting to sound like a safety guy. :)

Actually, the guys sitting around the parking lots asleep, with their windows down are probably not under load. I guess they could be if on a long run with time to stop...but most are empty waiting for a load.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
If we can't carry it with us, it's out of sight. When we are in the vehicle, doors are locked. When it's hot at night, roof vent and box fans. Privacy curtains, naturally.

Also at night, even with the doors locked, a tie down strap is strung and secured across the cab, connecting driver door hand grip to passenger door hand grip.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
My hoodie is hanging in plain view through the windows, so passersby know not to mess with me or my stuff.

I have one on the seat for them to see. and I wear one to bed.

THe back of my van is like the health care bill.. you have to break in to it to see whats in it.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The cost of lossing a lil GPS isnt what worries me right now..Its whats in my fuel tanks and they can suck that out as fast as I can put it in..With Prices going the direction they are its not long before the theives will get back at it again.