Scarlett quits

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Could be but just as likely the other party is incorrect.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
About those subsidies that are also available inside of Israel proper (if it can be said there is such a thing):

SodaStream: Israel isn’t providing promised aid for plant inside Green Line

CEO Daniel Birnbaum says company will now be developing much smaller facility at Negev site than planned, employing 1,500 fewer employees.

By Ora Coren | Feb. 3, 2014 | 3:00 AM

SodaStream, the company at the center of a firestorm over its West Bank manufacturing facility, said Sunday that the Israeli government has failed to deliver on the tens of millions of shekels of aid it promised to develop a giant factory inside Israel itself.

Daniel Birnbaum, CEO of the company that makes devices and syrup used to make fizzy drinks at home, said that, as a result, SodaStream was downsizing the planned expansion of its factory in the Lehavim industrial zone (in Israel’s southern Negev region). Instead of investing 300 million shekels ($86 million) in Lehavim, in a facility that would employ upward of 2,000 people, SodaStream will spend just 119 million shekels and take on just another 500 employees, he said. ...

“I’ve tried to make contact with Economy Minister Naftali Bennett for half a year and he hasn’t found the time to meet with me,” said Birnbaum. “He has here an Israeli factory belonging to a multinational and he cannot keep us, and yet he travels around the world looking for investors.”

In response to Birnbaum’s allegations, an official at the Economy Ministry (whose investments center is responsible for awarding capital-spending subsidies) said the proposal SodaStream had presented called for taking on only 125 extra staff in the first stage of its expansion and 375 later, not the 2,000 Birnbaum is now talking about. The official, who asked not to be identified, said the company had not met the terms of the aid.

“There’s a big gap between his whining and the reality,” said the official. “The company has received tens of millions of shekels in government grants since 1999. “It can make changes [in its capital-spending program] but only in coordination with the investments centers, which it didn’t do.” ...

(Full article at link below)
SodaStream: Israel isn’t providing promised aid for plant inside Green Line - Haaretz

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
SodaStream estimates that wages for entry-level workers at Mishor Adumim - which are the same for Palestinians and Israelis - are four to six times the Palestinian average. It's a claim that has been verified and conceded to by even the harshest critics of the settlements.
Well, that's quite wonderful ... but it still doesn't change the fact that under international humanitarian law the settlements - and the businesses operating in them - are illegal ...

BTW, I've seen varying accounts regarding the pay average, one that I just read in a mainstream publication (Haaretz, NYT, WaPo ... don't recall specifically which one) in the last 24 to 36 hours that are less than the 4 to 6 times figure you mention above ...

I never characterized them as being non-humanitarian. In fact, if I recall correctly, and you know I do, I characterized them as "a humanitarian organization created to fight poverty, and that's mostly what they do."
Fair point.

But I also stated, and stand by it, that their political stance on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not a humanitarian stance, it is a position in conflict with humanitarianism ...
Or at least in conflict with humanitarianism as you see or understand it ...

Please expand on how their stance conflicts with humanitarianism ... I'm interested to explore the logic of that ... because I personally don't see it.

In fact, I see it in the exact opposite manner.

because they'd rather see hundreds of Palestinians making 4-6 times the average Palestinian wage be fired and put out of work, thereby dramatically increasing the chances of those workers sinking back into poverty, than give up their political agenda.
Again, I ask: where can I find Oxfam's statement that say:

"We'd rather see hundreds of Palestinians making 4-6 times the average Palestinian wage be fired and put out of work, thereby dramatically increasing the chances of those workers sinking back into poverty, than give up our political agenda."

This is twice now that you have repeated this "they would rather have them fired" framing ... it's starting to smell like someone's talking point ...

You might think that's fallacious, inaccurate and grossly misleading, but I don't.
Clearly you don't ...

However what I see is that you are offering an outcome or result of their stance which is based on your own conclusion of what will happen ... and that isn't really their position or stance at all - it's your additive.

Furthermore, it appears to me - and I may certainly wrong on this - that you are presuming that the conclusion you offer (workers being fired) is the only one possible.

I don't know that that is true at all.

I think it's the truth, backed up by Oxfam's own statements.
I'm waiting to see that statement from Oxfam that says:

"We'd rather see hundreds of Palestinians making 4-6 times the average Palestinian wage be fired and put out of work, thereby dramatically increasing the chances of those workers sinking back into poverty, than give up our political agenda."

Seems to me that the term refers to having a concern for or helping to improve the welfare and happiness of people, to alleviate suffering.
I wouldn't disagree with that ...

But then we arrive at the question of: What practical methods and means one might use to accomplish that end ?

Oxfam puts that in terms of disaster relief and fighting poverty.
It seems they have some additional terms they have put it in as well (selectively quoted to show some relevant points) that clarify how they go about doing the two things you mention:

What we do

Working with thousands of local partner organizations, we work with people living in poverty striving to exercise their human rights, assert their dignity as full citizens and take control of their lives.

We focus our efforts in these areas:

Development

We work with and through partners and communities on long-term programs to eradicate poverty and combat injustice.

Campaigning

We are part of a global movement for change. We raise public awareness of the causes of poverty and encourage ordinary people to take action for a fairer world.

Advocacy

We press decision-makers to change policies and practices that reinforce poverty and injustice.
What we do | Oxfam International

The problem comes in how you achieve that goal. Oxfam wants to do it by being Robin Hood.
That may well be true to some extent ... but from my view of the above (quoted) it also looks like want to do it by being Gandhi ...

They are, after all, a British organization.

Well that explains the Gandhi connection then ...

Now who's fallacious, inaccurate and grossly misleading?
Ok ... so we are agreed ... politics and humanitarianism are not mutually exclusive, and operating in a political context can ultimately serve to further humanitarian ends ...

And yet it's based solely on Oxfam's own words and actions.
One can say that they base something solely on X, Y, or Z's own words ... and still come to a flawed or inaccurate conclusion ...

Accurate, correct data (in this instance certain words) can used to draw a an incorrect conclusion ... happens all the time ... particularly if the data set is incomplete (lacking relevant data), incorrectly evaluated as to it's relative significance or other factors, etc.

"Apparently," "seems to be," - I don't know why you are so intent on mischaracterizing my statements. I plainly said they are both, and never hinted that they cannot be both, or that humanitarian and political were mutually exclusive.
Well I was only speaking to what your words seemed to imply to me, which were apparently incorrect inferences on my part.

My issue is with the blatant hypocrissy of Oxfam claiming to be apolitical.
Right. That's something I'm looking forward to examining further ... once I get a link to where they have made that claim.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine that they made the claim to be apolitical ... given what I quoted above from their "What We Do" page ... it certainly seems at least potentially somewhat political in nature to me ...

And not only that, there's this from their "How We Fight Poverty" page [all emphasis mine]:

How we fight poverty

The injustice of poverty demands a powerful and practical response to address both its causes and its impact on peoples' lives.

Using a six-sided strategy to weave together the complex web of our efforts and joining with others, we seek to overcome poverty.

When people have the power to claim their basic human rights, they can escape poverty – permanently. This core belief underpins our development programs in more than 90 countries. With our partners, allies and with local communities, we help people to claim rights for themselves. ...

Natural resources are vital for prosperity and poor people are often not getting their fair share. We lobby governments, international organizations and corporations for fairer land policies and action on climate change.
How we fight poverty | Oxfam International

I guess I'd have to see what their logic and reasoning is that's behind the claim that are apolitical to understand it and render a judgement ... but it sure looks to me like they are quite political ... and really make no bones about it.

What, exactly, is the underlined undefined referencing, the why of the 22 manucaturing facilities around the world, or the 22 percent unemployment in the West Bank?
My bad ... I should have separated out the exact part that I was referring to from what I quoted, or formulated my statement so that it was clear what I was referring to.

Yes ... the "why" of the 22 percent employment in the West Bank.

And while we're on that matter, let me offer this from the Executive Summary of the 15 July 2011 United Nations Conference on Trade and Development "Report on UNCTAD assistance to the Palestinian people: Developments in the economy of the occupied Palestinian territory" [all emphasis mine]:

While the economy of the occupied Palestinian territory (OPT) grew by 7.4 per cent in 2009 and 9.3 per cent in 2010, unemployment remained high, at 30 per cent in both years. The growth was driven by donor support, and reflects an economy recovering from a low base.

Economic growth has not altered the reality of worsening long-term development prospects, caused by the ongoing loss of Palestinian land and natural resources, isolation from global markets, and fragmentation.

Unemployment, poverty and food insecurity, especially in Gaza, continue to be alarming. The Palestinian Authority’s fiscal position remains precarious, despite recent improvements. A large trade deficit and dependence on the Israeli economy persist.

New evidence suggests that the trade deficit with Israel is overstated by official data, which mask “indirect imports”. The tax revenue on such indirect imports, currently lost, could increase Palestinian public revenue by 25 per cent.

Meanwhile, the economic ramifications of the severance of East Jerusalem from the rest of the OPT call for serious attention too.

In spite of limited resources, UNCTAD continues to respond to the needs of the Palestinian economy in coordination with other United Nations organizations and donors, and has recently commenced a new project to “strengthen Palestinian trade-facilitation capacity”
Report on UNCTAD assistance to the Palestinian people: Developments in the economy of the occupied Palestinian territory.pdf

The severance of East Jerusalem from the remainder of the West Bank is a direct result of the creation and expansion of Ma’ale Adumim, in which the industrial park of Mishor Adumim is located, and the E1_Plan.

And not only that, it's existence, along with the the E1 Plan, appears to part of an overall plan that would serve to eventually bisect the West Bank, cutting it half and isolating one part from another ... which would make any future Palestinian state dis-contiguous, slicing it into at least three, if not four separate disconnected areas (Gaza, North West Bank, South West Bank, and East Jerusalem ... assuming that Israel could be persuaded to relinquish East Jerusalem, which appears to be highly unlikely)

OK, based on that sentence, I'm going to assume the why refers to the 22 percent unemployment in the West Bank, because I can't see how that who controls what borders has anything to do with manufacturing facilities outside of those borders. So, based on my own assumption, I would agree with you that a factor of unemployment is who controls the borders.
Right ... and not just unemployment ... but the entire Palestinian economy.

And what about controlling freedom of movement inside the OPT as well ?

Could that have an effect of the economic prosperity or economic health also ?

But I'm not sure how SodaStream has contributed to the unemployment rate in any negative way.

Tax Revenues Fund Occupation ---> Occupation = Lack of Economic Prosperity ---> Unemployment

It's not just the employment rate they contribute to in a negative way, it's the entire Palestinian economic enchilada ...

One has to get beyond primary, direct causes and effects ... and get into secondary, tertiary, or higher indirect causes and effects ...

SodaStream, to some degree, enables and funds the occupation, and provides a pretext for it to continue to exist.

By the way ... did I mention that SodaStream's existence in the Occupied Palestinian Territories is illegal under international law ?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This Part One

Any luck with a cite or link where they claimed that ?

I'm not doubting the assertion ... I just would prefer to examine the evidence for it myself.
I haven't. I haven't really looked very hard, tho. I can scan a portion of Oxfam's original charter if you like, where they explicitly profess the expected politically neutral stance of most non-profit organizations. But I think after reading the following, you won't need such a scanned document.

In England and most countries, in order to be granted non-profit status as a humanitarian charity, you must be politically neutral, non-partisan. It's a position Oxfam was specifically founded on, because the founding committee felt that their work had to cut through politics. They were initially founded in order to provide famine relief to the people of Greece due to Nazi occupation and the Allied blockade. Despite being British, they managed to cut right through both of those political positions and get the job done. Being apolitical was something Oxfam wore, for many years, and rightfully so, as a halo of sorts.

True ... nor is there any question that injustice, oppression, and inhumanity exists in the world ... and that sometimes actions of a political nature are necessary to rectify the situation ...

Such actions could be said to be political in nature, but to a humanitarian end.
Setting aside the fact that one person's definition of injustice, oppression and inhumanity might not be a consensus definition and can be influenced by a political position, actions of a political nature towards a humanitarian end is precisely how Oxfam began edging into politics and taking certain political positions, rather than cutting through politics. It began, ironically, in South Africa during Apartheid.

Just prior to that, the armed conflict in Nicaragua was increasingly disrupting the Oxfam programs there. Reformists and reactionary groups all over the region were polarized. The nightmare of the death squads and the disappearance of people who championed the interests of the poor was moving into El Salvador and Guatemala, as well. Educators and health workers working for church and other volunteer groups were harassed routinely and even prosecuted, with the people they helped being forced to flee or even being killed. In protecting this status quo, those forces protecting it were doing so with violence, and without any legal backing (except, of course, in South Africa, where they had the law to back up the brutality). Oxfam's mission of taking on both the cause and effects of human suffering, could not totally escape the overlap between removing obstacles to people's development and protecting human rights. That's where the almost inevitable blurring of the lines of politics and humanitarian aid come into play.

A policy paper was drawn up, mainly for South Africa, that attempted to set up a conceptual and practical framework in which Oxfam could pursue solidarity with the poor in situations where their interests were being violently opposed, while at the same time remaining within the bounds of charity law. The paper noted that poverty and rights issues were often inextricably interlinked and that this presented a conundrum within charity law. The new policy attempted to carve out a "humanitarian space" in which to work, without being ideologically labeled. The framework allowed Oxfam to work via some other organization, such as a local union or political organization who's primary functions were not entirely philanthropic. The policy paper re-articulated Oxfam's rigid notion of humanitarian neutrality, namely, Need Above Political Divide. This was in 1979.

In 1980 when Oxfam began to explore a presence in South Africa, they didn't want to have it dome with a string of disconnected projects, and they didn't want to partner up with the usual NGOs who tended to compete in showing off their projects, how much money to give, what it should be used for, and what the recipients were expected to do in return. But they had trouble getting started and finding locals who would help, because of Oxfam's neutrality. The fence-sitting promoted distrust from the very people they were trying to help. But they finally got a few people from what would become Zimbabwe to get on board, some of whom were already consultants to Oxfam and were influential in their communities. One of these people was a woman named Sithembiso Nyoni who came up with a radical plan that was for a very different type of role in South Africa than Oxfam was wanting. Her approach naturally came out of her and other's experience of independence struggle, and centered on helping poor people understand and overcome their powerlessness in the face of the forces controlling their lives. It was all about people helping themselves, in opposition to ruling forces, rather than just giving them aid packages. This was something Oxfam really couldn't do directly, as it was incompatible with charity law. So, Nyoni founded ORAP, the Organization of Rural Associations for Progress. Oxfam initially wouldn't even fund it, because of the conflict of charity law.

In the early 80s dissident activity came under a rather harsh security crackdown from the Zimbabwe government, who took Oxfam to task for favoring (mostly) the Matabele people. Oxfam stood firm saying that poverty was its only concern, not tribal affiliation. Oxfam stated that while ORAP was a grassroots movement, it was in no sense political. Even though they knew darn good and well ORAP was political, it was a stance they nevertheless had to take. It was a courageous stand, depending on your point of view, and one on which they did not waver, but it was their first step into taking political sides.

Shortly after that, the established African presence of Oxfam began changing, with new African Field Directors ad African field staff, all of whom natutrally had a local bias for some wider policy issues, which they began taking on. They also demanded that Oxfam International take a clearer stance on aid to victims of the liberation struggle. Zimbabwe independence acted as the spark to fight for freedom in Namibia and South Africa, but it was a political position that Oxfam couldn't really take. But those in Africa were determined that the fence-sitting of Zimbabwe would not be carried over to Namibia and South Africa. A new, more politically aggressive policy was formed, but one in which Oxfam could remain politically neutral. Then, miraculously, the South African government handed to Oxfam on a silver platter all the motivation needed to become political in every sense of the word. In the middle of the night an Oxfam field officer, his wife and baby were violently arrested in their home and taken into police custody, held without charges (charges were never filed) and without comment.

Whatever repugnance Oxfam felt towards Apartheid, it had never given direct support against the system per se, but they were proposing that very thing now. The Oxfam Desk Officer in England presented a new policy paper to the trustees. The paper cited the worsening of the situation and the exodus of refugees of Namibia and South Africa, institutional violence of individuals, population removals by removing families and entire communities, detentions and expulsions. The paper took sides, and backed the liberation's call for (you'll get a kick out of this) South African boycott, economic disinvestment and sanctions. The paper took the position that Apartheid and poverty were two sides of the same coin, indivisible from each other, that South African legal enforcements of human rights violations was a fe facto structural enforcement of poverty. Oxfam redefined poverty not to mean the absence of goods and services, but rather the pauperisation of not allowing the people their own self-determination in having control over their workings. Oxfam declared the primary reason for poverty in South Africa was Apartheid.

The political wranglings behind the scenes within Oxfam were fast and furious, because most of the trustees had serious doubts that the motivation for the policy change was purely humanitarian rather than political. They were eventually swayed, under the condition that all grants must correlate with the view that the ultimate obstacle to relieving poverty in Namibia and South Africa was the existence of Apartheid.

In 1983 the new South African Constitution was introduced, which continued to exclude all blacks from political representation. That one triggered a new struggle against Apartheid within the republic, and forced Oxfam to evaluate its own disinvestment position in South Africa. Oxfam's original bank, Barclays, was heavily invested in South Africa, and after much sole searching (and the efforts of a special committee within Oxfam) Oxfam decided to pull its accounts from Barclays. One more step towards officially taking a political position. Not quite there yet, tho.

Then, because of international pressure for sanctions, and for Britain's own acceptance of sanctions of South Africa, in 1987 Oxfam took the official position of advocating sanctions, stating "we can now advocate sanctions with greater confidence within the constraints of Charity Law." They had more confidence than they should have.

Somewhere between handing out blankets and battling over foreign policy is a line charities may not cross. The confusion begins when charities go beyond emergency relief efforts and begin to attack the roots of poverty and suffering. Things can get very tricky when you do that. In 1991 the British government's Charity Commission judged that Oxfam crossed the line by publicly supporting and encouraging sanctions against South Africa. They were given a warning. Well, two of them. They were warned that if they do it again, they will be fined an amount equal to whatever they spend, directly or indirectly, on political causes.

That's why even though they support the BDS Movement, they won't say so in those words. They'll dance all around it, but they won't actually say it. They can't. They will give money to groups who do support it, though, but it's always given for some stated specific humanitarian cause, even though they know what they money is really going to be used for. They'll make statements referencing arguably the most overused phrase in the history of phrases: "illegal under international law" as justification. They'll say things like, "Oxfam is opposed to all trade from Israeli settlements, which are illegal under international law," which is a way of supporting BDS without actually supporting BDS. Otherwise they wouldn't give a rat's furry little crack where Scarlett Johansson's endorsement money comes from, because her income from SodaStream shouldn't be at all in conflict with Oxfam's humanitarian goals. Yet it is, in fact, in conflict with Oxfam's humanitarian goals, because their goals are the root causes of poverty, which in this case means they have to support the B, the D or the S, or all three. And it's why Oxfam's statement on Johansson is worded as precisely as it is, qualified with the "Oxfam believes that businesses, such as SodaStream, that operate in settlements further the ongoing poverty and denial of rights of the Palestinian communities that we work to support."

That is absolutely being political, without technically being political. But with their current thinking, it's almost impossible to separate the two.

"We have come to see that our primary object of relieving poverty, distress and suffering cannot be achieved without advocacy on behalf of the people we are trying to help,'' said Mary Cherry, chairwoman of Oxfam's trustees.

And there's the rub. It's one thing to say, 'We need more food.' But it's a whole 'nuther thing to offer a political solution and then campaign for that solution, which is what they are doing nowadays, either directly or indirectly. Their efforts have become Socialist out of necessity to achieve their goals.

There is much more history of Oxfam than I've gone into here, but ever since South Africa and the British government's charity ruling (and their own expansion into business and brands), they have become far more political, and assertive, but always very, very carefully within the stated context of an "ongoing poverty and denial of rights."

End of Part One...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is Part Two

I got involved with Oxfam when I was in high school. They were the first charity to truly strike a chord within me. They had a simple, noble cause free from BS, and most importantly ensured that the aid they were involved with actually got to where it was supposed go to. They were virtually unique in that regard. They were also the epitome of teach a man to fish, where instead of simply handing out free stuff, they taught people how to fend for themselves and be self-sufficient. But they have strayed from that, a great deal. They still do amazing work, but too much of it is rooted in politics, and too often they have bullying tactics to achieve what they want. They have become a multinational corporation in the pejorative sense. They have net assets of $88 million (as of 2012) and annual donation revenues in the $80 million range, not even including the revenue from the more than 1200 Oxfam Shops around the world (750 in Great Britain alone) nor the revenue they get from their Fair Trade brands or the revenue they get from their Fairtrade Certification business. Added together, they have a total revenue of about half a billion dollars. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they are increasingly about the money, so they can expand their work. (See The Robin Hood Tax | Oxfam International). Their halo is a little too tarnished for my taste.

Well, if that's what they are actually doing - saying they are apolitical (rather than just non-partisan) when they aren't - then I can certainly understand someone being unhappy with them.
They still do a lot of amazing work. They're certainly not all bad. But they used to be all good.

Do they still do these things ... or have they abandoned them ?
They still do those thing. Like I said, they're not all bad.

Charitable issues ?

I dunno about that ... but I can certainly see how "International Trade and Private Sector business practices" could be humanitarian issues ...

Sweatshops and unfair trade practices come to mind right off the top of my head ...
And that's the official position they have taken, since 1991.

In light of the nature of the actions of some rich people, some rich corporations, and some rich nations from a historical perspective, I would have a hard time saying that their position is entirely without merit ...

Might be a matter of degree, in terms of what would be acceptable or unacceptable from my own perspective ...
Yep. "Famine relief" has taken on a whole new look.

Is it your position then that the illegal transfer of a civilian population of one nation, outside it's sovereign territory, into a foreign territory (that it is occupying militarily, under force of arms, against the will of the indigenous people residing there), with said illegally transfered civilians then setting up business entities, in no way affects the ability and the rights of the Palestinian people to exercise self-determination, and sovereign power over their own land ?
Nope

That there is no possible way that this might have some adverse effect on the level of poverty that exists in the Occupied Palestinian Territories ... by providing a pretext for the continuance of the occupation, and perhaps justification for even greater restrictions on the political rights of the Palestinians ?
Nope

That the restricted freedom of movement that the Palestinians experience - against their will - in the Occupied Territories - some of which is directly related to the existence of the illegal settlements - plays no role whatsoever in the their ability to prosper economically ?
Nope

That the inability and denial of their sovereign right to control their own borders - in terms of people, imports or exports - has no effect whatsoever in their ability to economically function and grow an economy ?
Nope. If you don't even control your own borders, how can you import or export anything at all? You can't, obviously.

It is my position that neither side is clean in this, and neither's position is as black and white and cut and dry as both claim it to be.

Is there a statement where Oxfam declared:

"We would rather hundreds of Palestinians be fired and SodaStream relocate, than have those people employed and earning a living."

Because if there isn't, I might feel as though I've arrived in Straw Man City ...
No, there isn't. And it's hardly a straw man argument. It's the reality of the situation. If SodaStream is pressured to the point of having to relocate, than that's precisely the outcome.

Personally, I see it in a little more nuanced manner than a simplistic framing of "any job in the OPT is good - even if it's your oppressor providing it - therefore any and all job providers must be supported ..."
I don't frame it quite as simplistically, either. I frame it in terms of having a job paying a good wage is further from poverty than is having no job that pays nothing, which doesn't jibe with Oxfam's statement.

No ... they don't ... to say that they do would be to conflate one thing (simple non-support of illegality) with another (political action - BDS - taken against all of Israel to bring about a desired outcome)

Oxfam could be on the BDS bandwagon, calling for Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions for any and all things Israeli ... they aren't.
As noted above, they aren't publicly on the bandwagon, but they're on it just the same.

The (two) statements above indicate that there is a lack of a clear understanding of what the BDS movement is, or why Oxfam takes the position they do.
It may seem that way, because I haven't expounded on it much, but rest assured I fully understand the BDS Movement, and Oxfam's position and why they take it, as well as why they take it the way the do.

Oxfam's position is partly centered around the fact that the Israeli settlements in the Occupied Territories - and the businesses within them - are illegal under international law ... certainly as well as the fact that businesses in the Occupied Palestinian Territories do "further the ongoing poverty and denial of rights of the Palestinian communities that we work to support."

Generally speaking, Oxfam is not opposed to trade with businesses located within Israel (just not the Occupied Palestinian Territories) ... because businesses located in Israel are legal under international law ...
That's the public PR image of Oxfam, but the reality is a little different. I won't go as far to say Oxfam is antisemitic, buuuut they're close, and at the very least open themselves up to that charge. Generally speaking, Oxfam isn't publicly opposed to trade with businesses in Israel proper, but they tend to side with most of the issues of the BDS Movement. They won't publicly support the movement, although they came about as close as it gets in their statement regarding Johannsen. They've had a presence in Israel and the West Bank since 1950. They have quite a history there that puts them far more on the side of the Palestinians than the Israelis. Not totally, but they definitely lean.

One can only imagine what the howls of protest would be from some, if Oxfam were to take the position of not being opposed to trade with entities which were operating in violation of international law.
One can imagine the howls within Oxfam.

The overused phrase "illegal under international law" and when and how it gets used by an awful lot of people reminds me of the hoards of people who came out against Michael Vick for his role in dog fighting. People who couldn't care less about dog fighting took the opportunity to just hammer Vick over it, and it wasn't because they disliked dog fighting. So this "illegal under international law" gets used by a lot of people the same way, and for the same reason. While every country that I know of has declared the settlements illegal, and I agree with them, the legality is still nevertheless disputed by the parties involved, and won't be resolved until the final status of the negotiations between the two parties. Just because someone (or a snotload of someones) can deem something illegal under international law, doesn't make it so as long as the legality is disputed, regardless of how childish of the loopholes Israel is trying to squeeze through. The only solution is going to be a two-state solution, and it's a solution that I don't think is ever going to happen.

One cannot focus solely on the alleviation of the poverty of a few, without also taking into account the ramifications that it has on the many ...

At least not if one wants to be intellectually honest.
If one wants to be intellectually honest, they'll admit that poverty cannot ever be eliminated.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
OK, I'll give you that employment in and of itself is not necessarily the opposite of poverty, but I stand by my belief that those hundreds of Palestinians employed by SodaStream making a wage higher than the poverty level are better off than they would otherwise by if they were unemployed and living in poverty.
That largely goes without saying ...However, that really isn't the only question that deserves to asked and addressed ... another question is:Would they, or could they, be better off if they had the freedom to create their own SodaStream ?Is a man (or a people) better off with a decent paying job (relatively speaking) one that he has to sacrifice his human rights for, including the right to self-determination ... or is he better off retaining those rights and having the freedom and opportunity to try and determine his own economic well-being ?What effect does a perpetuation of the occupation have on the remainder of Palestinian society ?Is it morally justifiable for a small minority to contribute to something that creates an immense amount of bad effects on their fellow countrymen, just in order to have a decent job - a job with something that is part and parcel of the very thing which is inflicting the bad effects ?
No, I am not aware of that.
Well, that's an important thing to know ... because it goes to the fundamental nature of the society that they are being forced to live in ...I will address this matter in greater detail in a later post.
In 2007, the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that Palestinian workers in settlements must receive the same rights - including minimum wage - as workers in Israel.
Yes ... do you know the backstory on that ?How it came to be ?It will be covered in a later post in greater detail.
While there are certainly cases where the ruling is not enforced, claims of inequality and abuse of Palestinians by SodaStream were all found to be unfounded claims.
Found to be unfounded by WHO ?
While Israelis and Palestinians in the West Bank have two very different sets laws and rules, business headquartered in Israel proper and operating in the West Bank are nevertheless bound by Israeli civil law.
In theory ... of course, being bound by law is really only as good as the enforcement of law - from Kav Lavoed, an Israeli labor organization that works with foreign workers:
Minimum Wage in Judea and Samaria: Delay in EnforcementThe Ministry of Economy is powerless in the enforcement of minimum wage and other labor rights in the areas of Judea and Samaria, reveals the Committee for Public Petitions.Translated from Ynet News, ynet ??? ??????? ???"?: ?????? ????? ?????? - ?????The Ministry of Economy is powerless in the enforcement of minimum wage and other labor rights in the areas of Judea and Samaria, reveals the Committee for Public Petitions. Head of the committee, Parliament member Adi Kol, says, ”It is not right that Palestinian workers should be employed in slave conditions simply because government offices have not held themselves to the timetable that they themselves proposed.”The minimum wage law as well as other worker’s rights are not being enforced beyond the Green Line, nor are they applied to Palestinian workers that are employed by Israelis anytime in the near future. This comes in contrast to a decision by the government that issues in enforcement of labor rights must be resolved by the end of December. Such was revealed today (3.12.2013) by the Ministry of Justice in a hearing that took place in the Committee for Public Petitions in the Knesset.In the hearing it was acknowledged that although the minimum wage law applies to businesses in Judea and Samaria, the Ministry of Economy has not enforced it and will not be able to do so until January 1st, 2014 at the earliest, when the government will allot financial resources to do so. In response, chair of the committee Adi Kol (Yesh Atid), noted that, “It is not right that Palestinian workers should be employed in slave conditions simply because government offices have not held themselves to the timetable that they themselves proposed.”In the hearing, it was stated that even though the Israeli Supreme Court ruled that all labor law applies to Palestinians employed by Israelis, in the absence of a similar ruling by a government ministry, there remains a major problem with enforcement. The Ministry of Justice has claimed that inspectors from the Ministry of Economy have encountered many violations in labor rights, though as of now they hesitate to even prepare for the implementation of enforcement.It was further mentioned in the hearing that Israeli employers collect around 2,000 Shekel per month from Palestinian workers in exchange for the permits needed for legal employment, creating a situation where employers “rollover” the cost of these permissions on the workers themselves. The Ministry of Economy claimed in response that they never have had to open such a complaint and have committed to examining the issue leading up to the next hearing.Chairman Kol expressed frustration at government ministries in the hearing, arguing that they lend their hand to clear violations of basic human rights for Palestinian workers. Kol further demanded answers regarding their protection under the law in cases of work accidents or pension rights.The Jordan Valley: 8-12 Shekel per hourHanna Zohar, from Kav LaOved, an organization that works with foreign workers, pointed out that six years ago the Israeli Supreme Court put an end to the discussion around the application of minimum wage, and that today it is clear that the law applies also to Palestinian workers. According to her, the situation in the JordanValley is particularly extreme. There, Palestinian workers earn on average 8-12 shekels an hours and don’t receive any additional rights. “1 out of 4 workers pay their Israeli employer 1,500 to 2,000 Shekels a month for work licenses, sums taken directly from their salaries,” Zohar explains.Deputy Major Yair Maman, the head of the economic branch of the Office of the Supervision of the Territories, explained to the committee that today 52,000 Palestinians are given permission to work in Israel, some as permanent workers and some as seasonal workers in the agriculture sector. In Judea and Samaria, another 25,000 Palestinians are employed by Israeli employers. In addition, approximately 33,000 work in Israel illegally.According to the statistics of the Palestinian Authority’s Central Bureau of Statistics, the average salary paid to a Palestinian worker employed by an Israeli company is 168 shekel per day. Knesset member Dov Khenin (Chadash) asked who is responsible for the enforcement of this amount, which is based on a calculation of minimum wage.Riki Yechezkel from the Ministry of Economy responded, “The Ministry implements enforcement on the basis of complaints, but does not initiate them.” According to her, the Ministry conducted just 25 investigations over the course of two years beyond the Green Line and today the Ministry of Justice is working to apply additional labor laws in Judea and Samaria.Aya Devir, from the Ministry of Justice, argued that the legal situation in Judea and Samaria is “very complex.” She added that all labor laws in Israel apply to Palestinian workers in Judea and Samaria, even though Israeli law in general does not apply there. According to her, in the meantime laws regarding salary protection have thus far not been applied in Judea and Samaria with a decree from the Major-General but that laws regarding work contracts might indeed have been applied.Erez Wagner from the organization Ma’an revealed that, “lately a new decision has been accepted by insurance companies to stop insuring Palestinians from loss of ability to work. A number of workers have been injured and it has become clear that the companies have stopped allocating insurance bonuses for them. They do, however, receive an allotment for pension according to the rulings of the court. That is to say that Palestinian workers pay just as much but get less in return.”Kol, in her concluding statements, promised that the committee will turn to various Justice and Security ministers to demand speeding up checks on the extent of the application of labor law in Judea and Samaria. She also requested an answer from government ministries about the cessation of payment for insurance for work accidents for Palestinians. The next Knesset hearing on the issue will take place in a month.
Minimum Wage in Judea and Samaria: Delay in Enforcement | Kav LaOved - Worker's HotlineIt's always "very complex" ...
My statement isn't "about like saying" that at all. Yours is a strawman.
Ok, I'll accept that as true for the sale of argument.Let's address it in this manner - your original statement was:"If Oxfam is more concerned about poverty than politics, they wouldn't care one way or the other how those jobs were created."Really ?So, if those jobs referred to above as created, enabled or created further, or greater, poverty in others than the ones specifically employed, to say nothing of providing a justification and pretext for the denial of human rights, including the right to self-determination and political sovereignty, Oxfam shouldn't care ? Life doesn't occur in an isolated vacuum, where single events or circumstances have absolutely no relation or bearing to other events or circumstances that exist around them.Having laser-like focus can certainly be useful at times ... but one has to be careful so as not to miss the forest because one's nose is a millimeter off the bark of that single tree one is standing in front of ...
Palestinitan employees of SodaStream don't make slave wages.
Being focused soley on the money that a few earn misses the larger boat that has just left the dock.
Slaves lived in poverty, SodaStream employees do not.
Oh I don't know about that ... I'd venture to say that many slaves were not living in abject (my term not yours) poverty by any means ... wasn't necessarily in the slave-owners best interest to let them starve or be without shelter ... some degree of poverty certainly.(I hear the house ****** were treated particularly well.)But it is certainly true that to a very large degree they lived without very much freedom and the ability to exercise their right to self-determination ...
Oxfam is concerned about poverty, therefore they want to eliminate those jobs.
Huh ?What evidence do you have that that is their motivation ?
Oxfam doesn't pass the smell test on the issue.
From my perspective you don't pass the smell test on the issue ... ;)
Godwin's Law of Creative Strawmem notwithstanding, you agree with Oxfam? That those high paying SodaStream jobs should be eliminated and the Palestinians should be fired?
Speaking of straw men ... with a dollop of the fallacy of a false dilemma thrown in for good measure ... lol ...No, because that isn't Oxfam's position.My position is that the illegal settlements and the illegal population transfers should end ... they are illegal, in violation of international humanitarian law ... and further, that the occupation itself should end, and the Palestinians should be allowed, not denied, their rights to self-determination ... including the right to attempt to achieve their own economic prosperity ...Things that contribute to the perpetuation of the above are not helpful in resolving the situation in a just and fair manner that complies with international law.
That SodaStream should pack up and move elsewhere, because that will keep those employees and the rest of the West Bank out of poverty? Interesting.
And it is your position that the Palestinians should just ignore the theft of their land and natural resources in furtherance of an illegal colonization and settlement by foreigners, suffer a brutal military occupation, accept the denial of their human rights, including the right to self determination and political sovereignty so that a small minority of Palestinians can have decent paying jobs ... from their oppressors and overlords ?

Yes ... that would be quite interesting indeed ...

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Bet they're hoping that ol' Pillow Lips and that Super Bowl ad will help - from Bloomberg:

SodaStream Drops Amid Sanctions Over Jewish Settlements
By Elena Popina Feb 3, 2014 6:01 PM ET

SodaStream International Ltd., the Israeli maker of home soda machines with a factory in the West Bank, sank to the lowest since 2012 in New York amid growing criticism for businesses operating in a territory that Palestinians seek for an independent state.

SodaStream slumped 3.3 percent to $35.34 in New York, the lowest since Nov. 20, 2012. The stock plunged 26 percent on Jan. 13 after SodaStream reported worse-than-forecast preliminary earnings for 2013.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, who is leading U.S. efforts to reach an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal, cautioned Israel at the Munich Security Conference on Feb. 1 about an “increasing delegitimization campaign” that includes “talks of boycotts.” Actress Scarlett Johansson publicly split with Oxfam last week after the U.K.-based charity criticized her role as a spokeswoman for SodaStream, because of its plant in a settlement in the West Bank.

“John Kerry made comments about the economic damage of the sanctions and this scared investors a lot,” David Kaplan, an analyst at Barclays Plc who has a buy recommendation for SodaStream, said by phone from Tel Aviv. “On top of that, they missed earnings without clarifying why they had missed earnings and what they plan to do going forward. The stock will be down until they figure out a way to restore confidence.”

Yonah Lloyd, SodaStream’s chief corporate development and communications officer, declined to comment on the stock move in an e-mailed statement.

(Article continues at link below)
SodaStream Drops Amid Sanctions Over Jewish Settlements - Bloomberg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Well, that's quite wonderful ... but it still doesn't change the fact that under international humanitarian law the settlements - and the businesses operating in them - are illegal ...
I don't disagree with that at all.

Or at least in conflict with humanitarianism as you see or understand it ...

Please expand on how their stance conflicts with humanitarianism ... I'm interested to explore the logic of that ... because I personally don't see it.

In fact, I see it in the exact opposite manner.
Humanitarianism at its core is the doctrine that humanity's obligations are concerned wholly with the welfare of the human race, meaning without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status or socioeconomic status or anything else you can think us that can be used to discriminate against anyone for any reason. The first rule of humanitarianism is do no harm. Using politics to achieve the desired welfare status isn't in and of itself wrong, but when you choose sides in a political dispute where one side will win and the other side will lose, if the losing side can be damaged in any way then it's political position in conflict with humanitarianism.

Again, I ask: where can I find Oxfam's statement that say:

I really don't know why you presented that in quotes, as if it was an actual quote, because I didn't present it as a quote, nor did I imply that it was a quote. I clearly presented it as my own opinion based on my own knowledge of Oxfam.

This is twice now that you have repeated this "they would rather have them fired" framing ... it's starting to smell like someone's talking point ...
In a "well, duh!" moment, it's my own talking point, straight up.

However what I see is that you are offering an outcome or result of their stance which is based on your own conclusion of what will happen ... and that isn't really their position or stance at all - it's your additive.
I supposed it could be characterized as my own additive and not Oxfam's official position on the matter, since they haven't openly stated they support BDS. They have, however, openly stated that they are opposed to all trade from Israeli settlements. What that means is, unless or until SodaStream ceases all trade from the Israeli settlement, Oxfam will openly oppose their existence in the settlement. The only satisfactory resolution to the occupation is that it end, and by necessity the Israeli businesses operating in the settlements with it, either by those businesses going out of business, or relocating out of the settlements. Again, you think that's fallacious, inaccurate and grossly misleading. I don't. I think it's logical, accurate, and, based on history, spot on.

Furthermore, it appears to me - and I may certainly wrong on this - that you are presuming that the conclusion you offer (workers being fired) is the only one possible.

I don't know that that is true at all.
The ONLY possible conclusion? No. But it's the most likely and most plausible conclusion, considering the existence of the settlements, and the businesses operating in them, is a direct impediment to the resolution talks, according to the Palestinians. One of the primary goals of BDS is for Israel to end its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands, and there is only one way that that goal can be realized, and that is if Israel ends its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands, and the only way that can happen is if all Israeli companies are no longer operating in the settlements. I know this seems complicated, but that means SodaStream will have to go out of business entirely (very unlikely considering their global presence) or close up and move elsewhere, unless it agrees to sell part of its company to the Palestinians and make them partners in the enterprise, and I just don't see shareholders going for that.

I'm waiting to see that statement from Oxfam that says:

Why keep doing this? It's clearly not a quote.

One can say that they base something solely on X, Y, or Z's own words ... and still come to a flawed or inaccurate conclusion ...

Accurate, correct data (in this instance certain words) can used to draw a an incorrect conclusion ... happens all the time ... particularly if the data set is incomplete (lacking relevant data), incorrectly evaluated as to it's relative significance or other factors, etc.
You think my data set is solely limited to Google searches or something? I assure you it is not. My conclusions are not based on an incomplete understanding of Oxfam, nor are they flawed or inaccurate.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine that they made the claim to be apolitical ... given what I quoted above from their "What We Do" page ... it certainly seems at least potentially somewhat political in nature to me ...

And not only that, there's this from their "How We Fight Poverty" page [all emphasis mine]:

How we fight poverty | Oxfam International

I guess I'd have to see what their logic and reasoning is that's behind the claim that are apolitical to understand it and render a judgement ... but it sure looks to me like they are quite political ... and really make no bones about it.
That's awesome. I couldn't have said it better myself. I encourage you to read a book called A Cause for Our Times: Oxfam - The First Fifty Years, and get the history and evolution of the organization. It'll give you a better understanding of they got to where they are now. In one of the above threads where I talk about the history of how and why they began to become political, most of that is pulled from the book. The book goes into much more detail and gives a much clearer picture of the history of the organization.

For the record, I do think Oxfam is on the right side of the issue. It seems clear as day to me that the settlements are not only illegal, but wrong. I just don't agree with what Oxfam has become over these last 20 years or so, despite the fact that they do some incredible work, most of it really good. I just think they're invilved in a few things, and use a few methods, that they don't need to be doing in order to do their humanitarian efforts.

SodaStream, to some degree, enables and funds the occupation, and provides a pretext for it to continue to exist.
I would agree with that. The pretext for continued existence, is, in my opinion, the biggest problem of all. I also don't know anyone with a publicly traded company would make the brain-dead decision to locate their business in Israeli Occupied Territory. Why put your business in a place that is one of the most unstable places on the planet? It's redarded.

By the way ... did I mention that SodaStream's existence in the Occupied Palestinian Territories is illegal under international law ?
Ad nauseum, yes. :D