Scanning

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Where do I go when I want to find a mobile solution? To EO!

When you buy a scanner to scan documents and receipts, where does that created PDF file go?
Is it possible to have the file go to a 'smartphone'? Or does it have to go to a computer/laptop? If you want to email the scanned document/PDF file, must it go from scanner to computer to email or can it go directly to email via a smartphone?
Am I repeating myself?
Any help from the technologically intelligent drivers on EO would be greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to determine if I can delete a fax line and an internet connection and create portable/mobile scanning/email ability for someone running between multiple locations, and determine what hardware/software would be needed.

If this is a stupid question, please be kind, as I am technotarded. Thanks for any help!

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Why do you want it go to a smartphone?

The scanner, which is usually combined with a printer, is hooked up to a computer - laptop or desktop.

Yes, it then gets transferred to your computer. Most scanning software will allow you to pick different formats, pdf, word, picture etc.

But, with what your trying to get to I don't know if you can or not.
You might want to contact your phone provider to see what they say. Or call during Kim Komando's radio show on saturday morning. Just don't expect her to go into a detailed detailed this is how you do it. The Kim Komando Show - Free Tips, Downloads, Reviews, Software and Advice for Your Digital Lifestyle

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I use camscanner app on my smart phone, takes pic of the doc, converts to pdf and email all in one app, it saves a copy to the phone or u can email a copy to your self.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I want it to go to the phone I guess because I want to delete an internet account and a phoneline, give someone a smartphone instead of a cellphone, so that he can scan, send to phone, email from phone, from whatever location he is in.
The person does not have a laptop currently, he has a desktop, but it's obviously not portable. If what I want won't work and a laptop is required, then I guess I'd have to learn about tethering too? Argh. Like plugging in the laptop to use the smartphone's internet? Is that how it works?
Basically, I want to save the cost of the phoneline and internet account at a secondary location, and allow a mobile worker to function from wherever he is, rather than being required to go back to his home base location where his desktop is.
He already has a cellphone, so I'm hoping I can just get him a 'smartphone', and add a data plan, buy a portable scanner if I need to, and wondering if I also need a laptop.
With the apps that allow the phone to take a pic and save it as a pdf (is that what it does?) instead of getting a scanner.. I'm not picturing how it can do a full-sized document (8.5x11).. and how does the quality turn out? Anyone know? Is it readable, ie if it was a full-page BOL, would the details be readable after emailing?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I use camscanner app on my smart phone, takes pic of the doc, converts to pdf and email all in one app, it saves a copy to the phone or u can email a copy to your self.

Does the scanned image that is saved into a pdf file appear as a scanned image?

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Yes its a scanned image, and I think u can make the smart phones print if u have a wifi printer

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
As far as quality goes, depends on the phone,mines a droid x with a HD camera, very good quaility. Company says they never get as good a copy from a regular scanned copy

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Glad to have helped, its a great way to do the paperwork, most times i've got mine sent in before I leave the dock.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Are any of you able to compare your likes/dislikes between iphone and droid phone? Don't any expediters use blackberries?

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
For me, what I like about the android phones is open souce market, meaning it doesn't have to have apples appoveal to make an app.