safe layover spot near JFK airport

Rollinout2

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
So I find myself m/t here in Inwood, NY near the JFK airport.
I'm looking for a safe spot to layover with access to a restroom. I'd hate to leave the island only to come back for a pick up.
Anyone got any tips or ideas? I'm in a 40 ft straight truck.
thx.

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
Here's my advice. Cargo area @ jfk. You blend right in, and most of them have bathrooms.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I like the vince..walk over to the park and ride, grab a bus to NYC For 3.75 each way. Or just stay in the truck and don't see anything.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I like the vince..walk over to the park and ride, grab a bus to NYC For 3.75 each way. Or just stay in the truck and don't see anything.

I guess....if you like NYC.

Just curious: Who pays tolls in your operation, CM?

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
I guess....if you like NYC.

Just curious: Who pays tolls in your operation, CM?

My carrier pays tolls while on a run.I don't just DH to the vince either, if I'm on Long Island near JFK , I stay put. But if in Newark area, I do prefer the Lombardi.

And I do like NYC, Some of it anyway. The last layover I had in Newark, I took my bike on the train, to Penn Station ( Madison Square Garden) rode my bike across Manhattan, for a boat cruise around NY harbor including entertainment by a Balkan Brass band for 18 bucks. It was a blast.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your still online Ive parked at the Walbaums parking lot on 20th ave collage point
from JFK take 678 north, to whitestone bridge last exit before bridge 20th ave I think exit 15 Right onto 20th target, staples, and Walbaums grocery store. No bathrooms at night but its quiet, Ive camped there a few times without any problems. Make sure to ask the store manager before leaving your truck.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Valley Stream. There's a Wal Mart and a Target over there and you're only about 10-15 minutes from the JFK cargo area, depending on traffic.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, parked there too, tried to think of where allong the Conduit / MIA Highway had a mental block.
Also a Staples/ Home depot in that same area

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
if you continue east in front of the airport { rockaway blvd., i think } then turns into the nassau expwy. continue to burnside ave. there is a stop light there, look to your right and there is a kmart there and a hardees or wendys plus a few other businesses. we use to park at this kmart all the time. safe, patrolled and well lit. best part, its about 2 minutes from jfk. if you miss the split where the nassau goes right just keep going and you will still hit burnside ave. then turn right go a few blocks and you will cross the nassau again and kmart is on your left. hope this helps next time.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Yep, parked there too, tried to think of where allong the Conduit / MIA Highway had a mental block.
Also a Staples/ Home depot in that same area

Yep. The Home Depot and the Wal Mart share the same parking lot. There's also an ok shopping mall there and a Best Buy.